2019 Campbell River Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any other reports from the green can area. Been out a few times myself and it seems pretty slow.

Not as gang busters as it was last couple weeks, but you can still scratch them out. try fishing deeper outside all the boats; in like 300+ feet of water. less doggies too

If you were only able to fish about 100’ deep from salmon point in a 16’ boat where would you try? My downriggers and 10 lb balls are too small for the depths at the cans or the hump. Is there a decent spot for crabs near by? Tried off the beach near the oyster river but nada...

If you were only able to fish about 100’ deep from salmon point in a 16’ boat where would you try? My downriggers and 10 lb balls are too small for the depths at the cans or the hump. Is there a decent spot for crabs near by? Tried off the beach near the oyster river but nada...

Oyster bay has crabs over in front of the cabins usually.

How deep of water did you try?

400 - 60 ft deep. I didn’t realize how fast it can shallow around here. Tried fishing 140 ft but with the current and 10lb balls it’s all tangles

Leave salmon point and hug the shore towards oyster bay ( in front of the driftwood restaurant) there is a drop off around 90’ that can be very productive especially for coho.

edit as i just re-read your post a bit better. if you fish the bottom half of the ebb at the hump starting south heading north towards the lighthouse i promise you will get those ten pounders down and sitting nice and you will get fish. The currents and the tides makes fishing around CR challenging but if you can get down to productive zones you will get into them.

today got another 20, a 12, a hatch coho and lost another 15 lb at the net. countless fish lost by my 11 year old boy.

Last edited:
Anyone fish the green can or Fransisco Pt area over the past two days? Was out this morning and couldnt see bait anywhere and very few fish hooked (nothing for myself)

Has anyone been up around Philip's Arm / Denham Bay? Still a few weeks out but heading there then for 3 days. Cheers

Has anyone been up around Philip's Arm / Denham Bay? Still a few weeks out but heading there then for 3 days. Cheers

I was up there last week. Nobody around. I seen only three guide boats. The slide in Phillips Arm has the area full of debris. It was better than it was according to the Blind Channel people, but apparently scared off the guides. They might be over fishing Bute but I didn't check it out.

insane amounts of bait around still. entire side of the hump - light drift had bait from 200’ all the way down to 300.’ took five springs last nite, biggest about 15, smallest about 12, all on plugs. bait is all big, around 6”

Anyone seeing any bait around? I’ve been looking at Sentry, Green Can, Fransisco and Grants and haven’t seen much at all. Seems like the big herring have moved on...?

When I ran from the lighthouse to Willow Point ramp last night, huge showing on the sounder in mid channel.

Out this morning South of the green can, slower than last week when we had 15 to the boat (4-6lbs) and kept one at 22lbs in 5 hrs. Bait was right on the bottom at 240ft, had 6 to the boat, lost several more and had an incredible double header, both taking long runs several times. One broke off, boated the second one. Measured at 96cm long by 64cm girth, in the 29-32lb range.

Attachments

• IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 157
Fished the green can 2 nights ago. We got 3 Chinook in short order army truck 245 ft. 1 red 1 marble 1 feeder spring nice mixed bag. I had
3 generation in my boat my nephew, my wife and gramps pretty cool.

It was great to see so many families out on the water, dad netting fish while kids were driving the boat, kids bringing fish, teenagers borrowing dads boat etc. This would have been a perfect time to capture some video to document the importance of the social benefits of a healthy public fishery. This is something as group we could do better at to prove the social benefits of our public fishery I wish I had the skill set to take it on.

Fished the green can 2 nights ago. We got 3 Chinook in short order army truck 245 ft. 1 red 1 marble 1 feeder spring nice mixed bag. I had
3 generation in my boat my nephew, my wife and gramps pretty cool.

It was great to see so many families out on the water, dad netting fish while kids were driving the boat, kids bringing fish, teenagers borrowing dads boat etc. This would have been a perfect time to capture some video to document the importance of the social benefits of a healthy public fishery. This is something as group we could do better at to prove the social benefits of our public fishery I wish I had the skill set to take it on.

that’s funny you mentioned the family thing. i was out that night as well noticed the same thing. it was dead calm. you could hear laughter and cheers and kids having fun. lost a screamer and ended up with a 22lb white.

went out tonite, fished the hump light drift; got a hatch coho, a 22 lb white and a 14 lb white. lost a few nice ones as well. they’re still out there in decent numbers. 10’ from the bottom, white death strikes again for all three

My neighbor was out a couple of days ago, for a long time as it turns out, and told me he had 30 Springs to his boat during the day.

Kept their legal limit and released the rest.

Blue Meany hootchy and/or an Oil Slick White?? hootchy at 300 ft. was the ticket.

Green Can /Francisco Pt. area I think.

Take care.

My neighbor was out a couple of days ago, for a long time as it turns out, and told me he had 30 Springs to his boat during the day.

Kept their legal limit and released the rest.

Blue Meany hootchy and/or an Oil Slick White?? hootchy at 300 ft. was the ticket.

Green Can /Francisco Pt. area I think.

Take care.

300 feet!! My gawd. I still operate like a caveman, my manual riggers wouldn’t cut the mustard there. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back