2019 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no meteorologist but it has something to do with the warm air currents, the narrow canal, and the high vertical mountains on each side. The afternoon winds are classic there everyday around noon and usually die off in the early evening unless it is in fact storming. I'm sure someone here can explain what causes it better or you can google it. It is a normal phenomenon.

Good luck with your trip. Bring us back a report.
So I probably should have worded that better... as in “over __ knot winds should I not be going that way?” I know a few spots out of sooke, Sidney, and cow bay that are always snotty, but get over whatever knot winds and you don’t even go there. You’ll be fine 200 yards past, but not in that one spot!!
I will definitely report back! Thanks for all the info!

So I probably should have worded that better... as in “over __ knot winds should I not be going that way?” I know a few spots out of sooke, Sidney, and cow bay that are always snotty, but get over whatever knot winds and you don’t even go there. You’ll be fine 200 yards past, but not in that one spot!!

The outflows that occur in the canal are the same in Nootka and other inlets up and down the coast; it can also get right nasty in Knight Inlet and Thompson sound for example. The outflows were described perfectly by Brian R above. High canyons and warm air trapped combined by winds churn up the sounds, usually heading into the port. so, heading out to Barclay, you looking at walls of green waves. heading back to port, you’re surfing with the waves, so your boat drops into the trough and Kaboom! green waves over the boat and all your stuff goes flying and you are wringing out your underwear when you get to port. with a 17’ boat it’s best to pick your battles. i travelled in it for years in nootka with my old 17’ Campion Center console, but it is a very dangerous environment, that left me rattled every time. your original post sed “you don’t want to leave too early” then, just wait it out and fish longer in Barkley Sound! go into Bamfield and grab an ice cream at the general store or something! Oh and watch the logs and sticks. they were BRUTAL last time i drove the canal.

Last edited:
The outflows that occur in the canal are the same in Nootka and other inlets up and down the coast; it can also get right nasty in Knight Inlet and Thompson sound for example. The outflows were described perfectly by Brian R above. High canyons and warm air trapped combined by winds churn up the sounds, usually heading into the port. so, heading out to Barclay, you looking at walls of green waves. heading back to port, you’re surfing with the waves, so your boat drops into the trough and Kaboom! green waves over the boat and all your stuff goes flying and you are wringing out your underwear when you get to port. with a 17’ boat it’s best to pick your battles. i travelled in it for years in nootka with my old 17’ Campion Center console, but it is a very dangerous environment, that left me rattled every time. your original post sed “you don’t want to leave too early” then, just wait it out and fish longer in Barkley Sound! go into Bamfield and grab an ice cream at the general store or something! Oh and watch the logs and sticks. they were BRUTAL last time i drove the canal.
So you’re thinking we should go by boat from port- just either early or late? I’m thinking we would have the boat in the water by 6am on the way out there, so should be fine- and then either go before noon or after 6pm kinda thing on the way back?

I fish from a kayak and I fish around Nanaimo on the salt a lot. Is there good /ok fishing close to the town
And what's working for salmon knowing I don't troll
Port Alberni isn’t the best place to kayak fish I don’t think. You would be better going to Poett Nook or Bamfield for jigging salmon.

So you’re thinking we should go by boat from port- just either early or late? I’m thinking we would have the boat in the water by 6am on the way out there, so should be fine- and then either go before noon or after 6pm kinda thing on the way back?
Sounds like you've got it dialed it. It's light at 430 now so you could go earlier if you want. I'm like a kid when I go fishing and I usually can't sleep the night before so I like going at first light. You didn't say how long your staying for but if it is only a 2 or 3 day trip I'd suggest going as early as possible so you can get a fish in on the first day. A typical Bam trip for me would be get out there early and fish for a few hours, set up camp or check in at lodge, have a nap and explore then get out for an evening fish. On the last day get a good fish in, get cleaned up and boat the canal later in the day. After 6pm like you mentioned should be perfect. You'l have lots of daylight, less traffic, decent weather and hopefully a few whales. Enjoy your trip.

Coming back is never a problem as you are going with the wind.If you break down that could be a different story.

One last comment and I promise to stop. I'm sure people want to hear Barclay Sound reports and not my rambles. You were asking for a "no go" wind speed. The real appealing thing about Barclay Sound is that there is a lot of shelter and a sea worthy boat with a capable crew can nearly always find a place to fish. Go early, come home late and once your there you can pick fishing locations based on local intel (most people are awesome and will help you) and based on the weather conditions. I can't give you an exact number that you should call off your trip based on. There are far too many variables to cover them all here. I guess you could keep an eye on Environment Canada Marine Forecast. It isn't my favorite source of weather info but if they are telling you the entire west coast including the canal is experiencing Gale force winds you might as well stay home.

Good on you for doing so much research, your husband is a lucky man.

Sounds like you've got it dialed it. It's light at 430 now so you could go earlier if you want. I'm like a kid when I go fishing and I usually can't sleep the night before so I like going at first light. You didn't say how long your staying for but if it is only a 2 or 3 day trip I'd suggest going as early as possible so you can get a fish in on the first day. A typical Bam trip for me would be get out there early and fish for a few hours, set up camp or check in at lodge, have a nap and explore then get out for an evening fish. On the last day get a good fish in, get cleaned up and boat the canal later in the day. After 6pm like you mentioned should be perfect. You'l have lots of daylight, less traffic, decent weather and hopefully a few whales. Enjoy your trip.
Thanks! We have 4 days, and at a lodge. Planning to stay in port the night before- so it may well be 430! Unfortunately we have to get back to vic on the last day, as we both work the next morning, so heading back at 6/7 pm night not happen... unless the fishing is outstanding. Then we just might be out later!!

One last comment and I promise to stop. I'm sure people want to hear Barclay Sound reports and not my rambles. You were asking for a "no go" wind speed. The real appealing thing about Barclay Sound is that there is a lot of shelter and a sea worthy boat with a capable crew can nearly always find a place to fish. Go early, come home late and once your there you can pick fishing locations based on local intel (most people are awesome and will help you) and based on the weather conditions. I can't give you an exact number that you should call off your trip based on. There are far too many variables to cover them all here. I guess you could keep an eye on Environment Canada Marine Forecast. It isn't my favorite source of weather info but if they are telling you the entire west coast including the canal is experiencing Gale force winds you might as well stay home.

Good on you for doing so much research, your husband is a lucky man.
Thanks! My thought was that if the weather is too snotty out of port, we could always just shrink wrap the boat and drive it around. I’m not too worried about once we are out there! Also- I will be sure to remind him of how lucky he is! ;) thanks again for all of your insight!

Fishing-duo. If your staying in Port Alberni don’t leave stuff in the back of your truck or boat with out keeping a eye on it. Some guys from the nook stayed at the B western last season,and during the night their coolers and stuff. Went missing.

Fishing-duo. If your staying in Port Alberni don’t leave stuff in the back of your truck or boat with out keeping a eye on it. Some guys from the nook stayed at the B western last season,and during the night their coolers and stuff. Went missing.

x2. it’s a shame how bad port alberni has gotten for theft

That’s such bs. What happened to respect????
Thanks for the heads up.

In the warmer months, the sun heats the air over both the land and the water, but the ocean has a significant cooling effect so air over land heats up much quicker by comparison. As air heats up it expands, thus becoming lighter and rising. As the air rises over the coastal land mass, it pulls the cooler air from over the water inland to fill the void. This results in the typical afternoon onshore winds coastal areas experience in summer. Add steep mountains and a long narrow inlet, a la Alberni Inlet or Howe Sound, and the magnitude of rising air and inflow winds are amplified, as are the waves as they progress up the inlet.

As stated earlier, much better to have to run with them than against them. Grey, drizzly weather also minimizes the heating and thus the winds, so cloud and a bit of rain (ie not a storm, that’s a different ballgame) isn’t the worst thing for a day of fishing on the ocean.

Cheers!

Ukee

Ukee's description is spot on. A clue to how the day's thermal winds might be is this: the warmer it is in Port Alberni relative to Barkley Sound and the outer coast, the stronger the thermal winds can be. In other words, if it's going to be a hot day in Port but it's only forecast to be 14C in Ucluelet (or it's foggy and damp), then you can expect strong thermals starting anytime after 11 am as the cool sea air rushes down the inlet to replace the hot air rising in Port. I don't recommend running out against strong thermal winds and 1 meter wind chop in the afternoon in your 17 footer. It can be done but problems can arise if something goes wrong and, at the least, you will loosen your tooth fillings. Running back in is much nicer but still rough until the thermals die down somewhere between 5 and 9 pm. Rainy or cool days are much calmer. I try to do all my canal running before 11 am and I have a 24' boat. There are a few deadheads out there that can be impossible to see in wind chop.
Good fishing !

OF

Ukee's description is spot on. A clue to how the day's thermal winds might be is this: the warmer it is in Port Alberni relative to Barkley Sound and the outer coast, the stronger the thermal winds can be. In other words, if it's going to be a hot day in Port but it's only forecast to be 14C in Ucluelet (or it's foggy and damp), then you can expect strong thermals starting anytime after 11 am as the cool sea air rushes down the inlet to replace the hot air rising in Port. I don't recommend running out against strong thermal winds and 1 meter wind chop in the afternoon in your 17 footer. It can be done but problems can arise if something goes wrong and, at the least, you will loosen your tooth fillings. Running back in is much nicer but still rough until the thermals die down somewhere between 5 and 9 pm. Rainy or cool days are much calmer. I try to do all my canal running before 11 am and I have a 24' boat. There are a few deadheads out there that can be impossible to see in wind chop.
Good fishing !

OF
Thanks for the insight. I am planning to head out around 5-6am, so we certainly won’t be going through after 11! And heading back to port we will just have to see how we feel. Either early in the morning or wait till the evening. We both have zero interest in trying to go out when it’s not ideal. Better to be a bit cautious and get there safely than to be stupid and get into trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back