2019 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small. Lots of shakers. Keepers in the 7-12 pound range. Derby winner of a group of about 14 people was 22 pounds I think but no other fish came close to it.

Thanks!

Did you see what kind of bait was in their stomachs?

Normally I find the small opal squid or baby herring/needlefish in June. The odd time 4-6 inch herring or mature needlefish.

Was up sat - Tues. Didn't fish hard. Put in a couple hours at different spots. Hit a few springs at all areas. Nothing for size. Did notice all the squid on Dr lines. Got 2 fish on glow white hootchie. Rest on small spoons

I fish Georgia Straight and Barkley Sound and one thing that you will find is that structure can be more important in Barkley Sound that Georgia Straight. Fishing the south side of Bowen or the Hump often involves big swathes of ocean and fishing in 400’+ of water. I personally have found that in Barkley Sound you need to pay much closer attention to structure and how to get your lines in the right spot. I would sit back from the boats when you first arrive and get a sense of how they are working the contours and then start playing with depths on the tracks the other boats are laying down. Good luck!
Beauty. Thanks for that as well Salty.

We got delayed and won't get up there till Saturday at the earliest, probably sunday, fuel pump went and having one flown in , grrrrr......

Going to be at the "Beam" tomorrow! Up for my annual 8 days. Very excited! Will report when I get back.

Buddy just got back from his trip. They fished 6 days and had a blast. No big fish biggest was 15 pounds which is a bit sad but lots of small ones. They had a tough time finding and halibut. Ended the trip blanked on halibut. I’ll be up in a couple weeks.....hopefully have better bottom fishing success. He said they mainly fished swale rock and Edward King for the salmon

Sounds like good times out there in the Sound!

Remember in recent years past when all the other threads had thousands of posts and little Bamfield had just a few posts over spring and summer?

Seems Bammy is the focus of the reports thread this year for all the reasons we know and some good early results in the fishery!

Morgan,Yeah I'm up a little earlier this year than previous years. I leave on Sunday. Will try and hook up before we leave.

heading in wed/thurs for a 10 day tour.. updates!!

Just spent 2 days and nights in the sound with my dad and son.
There are good quantities of small springs in many places. Dad's basic white hoochie easily matched all the fancy stuff I threw out there ;-)

We did have a strange event near Pill. Dad had a small salmon on and got it near the boat, in the 6 pound range. Suddenly dad's reel absolutely went nuts, line peeling hard, that lasted about a minute then the hook popped out and we got all gear back. We have no shortage of experience with hungry pinnipeds, but we never saw one in the area all morning. Perhaps a massive ling took the salmon.

The trip home was calm, until we neared Lupsi Cupsi, then it was pandelerium all the way to Clutesi.
Keep your wits about you in that area, boaters!

The trip home was calm, until we neared Lupsi Cupsi, then it was pandelerium all the way to Clutesi.
Keep your wits about you in that area, boaters![/QUOTE]

sockeye nets, logs, stumps, fn, googans, etc?

Just got back from the nook. Prawning is still not bad. Long as you stay away from the commercial boat :mad:. Or he stays away from my traps. Fished a bit for salmon, but never caught anything worth keeping. My son and couple of buddies and I decided to do a charter to learn how to anchor up probably. We had a great time and ended up with two Hali’s. 45lb and a 25lb The road into the nook is in not to bad of shape, still had its usual rough spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back