2019 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just back from Bamfield after a week fishing with the folks, gf, and some friends. Spent the 9th -16th fishing. It was pretty hot the entire time though it really depended on where you were from day to day. Had a few great mornings and evenings at Whittlestone and Kirby. Picked up a some great fish right out front at Aguilar as well. Did not go offshore but did pop out to Beale for seabass. Fish were perfect size this year ~13lb - 26lb. Almost all fish for us were caught on white glow needlefish hoochie with 5/0 or 6/0 siwash. Though it seems the switch to bait is beginning as friends and others were doing well with herring and anchovies around the end of the trip. My girlfriend and I fished out of the 14ft Livingston and had a ball a couple days with fast action and big fish pulling us around. Also picked up our limits of coho though we were scrambling to figure out the allowed limits. Cohos 6-12lbs. Tried for Halibut at a few inside knolls but no love. Road in was about the usual.

ps: do whatever it takes to not have to buy ice in Bamfield $$$! Codfather had 40lb bags in PA for 12$ CAN.

Always a blast.
Thanks Grappler for all the info, happy to hear that you had a great trip out there. Cheers

Just got back from a few days fishing the sound and area. Fishing was great in the spots we fished. We got our limit of springs and coho in short order at Pill the first morning so we switched to spoons and tried some new spots in the sound for catch and release. Also jigged up a couple lings. After that we fished the Surf from Uki to Flow to finish our Spring limit for the trip. Such a beautiful place to fish and I love the chaos of hooking up in the swells tight to the rocks. We finished off our coho limit in sound on last day. Highlights of the trip was having the butt end of the rod break off on a hot spring and having to land it fly rod style lol. We also released a beauty wild coho that was a solid 20 pounds. Chovys and white hootchie was all we used in the sound but anything would have probably worked. We ran out of chovys and 3 inch gold nugget was the ticket up at Wya.

Attachments

• 03A4CFA2-FCC0-4555-9065-6B1276FC21F4.jpeg
    03A4CFA2-FCC0-4555-9065-6B1276FC21F4.jpeg
    567.9 KB · Views: 249
  • D245CCE7-9E71-4C93-AFE6-A8F59F281B95.png
    D245CCE7-9E71-4C93-AFE6-A8F59F281B95.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 233
  • 954B9E10-052B-4590-8E00-20A125EFDA61.jpeg
    954B9E10-052B-4590-8E00-20A125EFDA61.jpeg
    387.6 KB · Views: 229
Just got back from a few days fishing the sound and area. Fishing was great in the spots we fished. We got our limit of springs and coho in short order at Pill the first morning so we switched to spoons and tried some new spots in the sound for catch and release. Also jigged up a couple lings. After that we fished the Surf from Uki to Flow to finish our Spring limit for the trip. Such a beautiful place to fish and I love the chaos of hooking up in the swells tight to the rocks. We finished off our coho limit in sound on last day. Highlights of the trip was having the butt end of the rod break off on a hot spring and having to land it fly rod style lol. We also released a beauty wild coho that was a solid 20 pounds. Chovys and white hootchie was all we used in the sound but anything would have probably worked. We ran out of chovys and 3 inch gold nugget was the ticket up at Wya.
Nice haul RBY, sounds like you had an amazing couple of days. A 20 pound coho, that’s awesome! What depths were you hitting most at? Thanks for all the info.

Just back from Bamfield after a week fishing with the folks, gf, and some friends. Spent the 9th -16th fishing. It was pretty hot the entire time though it really depended on where you were from day to day. Had a few great mornings and evenings at Whittlestone and Kirby. Picked up a some great fish right out front at Aguilar as well. Did not go offshore but did pop out to Beale for seabass. Fish were perfect size this year ~13lb - 26lb. Almost all fish for us were caught on white glow needlefish hoochie with 5/0 or 6/0 siwash. Though it seems the switch to bait is beginning as friends and others were doing well with herring and anchovies around the end of the trip. My girlfriend and I fished out of the 14ft Livingston and had a ball a couple days with fast action and big fish pulling us around. Also picked up our limits of coho though we were scrambling to figure out the allowed limits. Cohos 6-12lbs. Tried for Halibut at a few inside knolls but no love. Road in was about the usual.

ps: do whatever it takes to not have to buy ice in Bamfield $$$! Codfather had 40lb bags in PA for 12$ CAN.

Always a blast.
Yes, Bamfield can have some pricey amenities for sure but consider where it is and how hard it is to get supplies in...I assume you mean ice from Mills Landing...pricey as gold but some of the best on the coast IMHO...packaging and flash freezing/storage is the cats butt however...Glad you had a good time

Yes, Bamfield can have some pricey amenities for sure but consider where it is and how hard it is to get supplies in...I assume you mean ice from Mills Landing...pricey as gold but some of the best on the coast IMHO...packaging and flash freezing/storage is the cats butt however...Glad you had a good time

No argument with you at all. Expensive ice is better than no ice. Just letting people know to try and plan ahead so they don't break the bank or let fish go to waste. We bought ice up at the Bobs hardware store, we were in a pinch. Caught our fish early in the trip and the ice we brought up was gone in no time. Even a yeti is no match for fresh salty smileys.

Fished Pill last Sunday. Great action, easy limits of Chinook biggest was low 20's. Between 85 and 105 on the Downrigger using small spoons and a 36 inch leader, go figure? Got a few nice Coho on the same set up as well. Lots of fish around. Get out there!

Fished Bamfield from Monday to Wednesday morning. Fishing was red hot at all the regular spots. Pill Point and Kirby lit up right before the tide change. Caught most of our fish 40 - 50 feet on anchovy and small spoons. The springs ranged from 10 - 22 pounds and some of the coho were pushing 10 pounds. One of our best trips ever. Get out there and experience the red hot fishing!

Bad news but factual report. Yesterday was good. Today was DEAD on the south side of the sound.

I’ve had 4 different reports from 4 different boats coming in all week and they have all suggested similar stories to the below, really a mixed bag depending on day and location:

Monday was great overall for all 4 boats. Fleming, Kirby, Brady’s and Wall - herring aid spoon, hootchies and bait all 25-50. Some bigger fish 20+ in the mix this day.
Tuesday shut off for the most part for them - weather change? A few keepers here and there but much slower.
Wednesday - for those who braved the morning elements... some struck out with a couple lost fish and another two boats had limits of chinook and coho 10-15lbs biggest. Fleming and diplock were the spots they were at Weds am.

We get our chance starting tomorrow - running the inlet with and there until Monday. Will report back.

I’ve had 4 different reports from 4 different boats coming in all week and they have all suggested similar stories to the below, really a mixed bag depending on day and location:

Monday was great overall for all 4 boats. Fleming, Kirby, Brady’s and Wall - herring aid spoon, hootchies and bait all 25-50. Some bigger fish 20+ in the mix this day.
Tuesday shut off for the most part for them - weather change? A few keepers here and there but much slower.
Wednesday - for those who braved the morning elements... some struck out with a couple lost fish and another two boats had limits of chinook and coho 10-15lbs biggest. Fleming and diplock were the spots they were at Weds am.

We get our chance starting tomorrow - running the inlet with and there until Monday. Will report back.
Like always rain trigger the fish to move up the inlet, china creek will be good for the next few days

Harbour Entrance was good for chinooks 16-22 lbs today. We got 6. Two on bait, two on skinny G, and two on a hideous blue and pale pink hootchie.

Nice heading out in the am, sorry new to area harbour entrance referring to bamfield or inlet? Gonna head out for an overnight somewhere.

Nice heading out in the am, sorry new to area harbour entrance referring to bamfield or inlet? Gonna head out for an overnight somewhere.

Dmurph - I PMd you. On our way out now so let me know if you need a hand with local spots, etc.

Will try and provide a daily report for the next while. See you out there!

Heading up tomorrow morning if any body wants to share intel throughout the day pm me for my cell phone number,will be up there for 4 nights.

Fished the lunch time tide change at asitis island 1130 until about 1, only one lost hit. At Beal now and lost one hit seeming pretty slow . Not that many boats around

Spread ourselves around between Kirby, whittlestone and Sanford today from 12-5pm.

Bite definitely seemed sporadic and fish being taken here and there, although didn’t see anything of size taken.

We lost a couple smaller ones and managed 3 coho up to 10lbs and then lost a teen spring. 3/4 of action on bait and rest on Spoon.

Spread ourselves around between Kirby, whittlestone and Sanford today from 12-5pm.

Bite definitely seemed sporadic and fish being taken here and there, although didn’t see anything of size taken.

We lost a couple smaller ones and managed 3 coho up to 10lbs and then lost a teen spring. 3/4 of action on bait and rest on Spoon.

Let’s hope the morning bite comes on good. I did a few passes along the wall from 730 until dark and blanked out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back