2019 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for reply, boating out from port and sleeping on the boat so will see if Poett has moorage available. Otherwise trophywife on the forum here gave me some good suggestions in the past that I just looked up

Had a few terric days Salmon fishing off Bamfield. Kirby, Flemming, Roberts Diplock and a few others. We were into lots of fish. Mostly between 25 to 65 feet. The Springs were mostly 15 to mid twenties with a couple of long line releases on good ones that always feel bigger dont they lol. Lots of Coho around too to 10 pounds . We seemed to find fish where ever we went. Great fishing. But our Whales are starving. BS.
Sea lions are an issue with the bastdards doing what they do best. Some big ones around . Sure wish it was open season on them.
We didnt bother with bait at all but found spoons like Cop cars 3.5 4. size and hootchies of brown tan cream mix best on a 24 inch leader behind green gold black vombo flashers worked great trolled 2.5 to 3.2 mph. Fish had 4 to 5 inch herring and squid in them.

Tight lines to everyone.

Nice report, gonna be leaving for port in the morning looking forward to fishing the area, new experience for me. What’s best to stay, Poett nook or china creek?

poets nook is roughly 5nm to open water, and it is right in the sound. china creek is roughly 22nm back from bamfield. stay in bam or the nook for better fishing grounds access.

Nice post high tide , thanks for sharing , we will be there on thursday for 10 days of fishing , hope they are still around ? , haven't slept in 2 night's in anticipation of some great fishing . last time we tried shorter leader length's and picked up the speed we caught bigger springs , go figure ? . say hi to the Seaspanker 2 .

Launched at clutsie yesterday around 930, launch was full so had to park at ford lot, also quite close to capacity. Made it to cape Beal by around 11 and we stacked one side with 6 inch chovie and small purple haze plug, put a white needle fish hootchy on the other side. Wasn’t long and the boys top rod with the plug he picked thumps down, boy manger to get an 18 into the boat with no help other than hook set. Little while latter after reset wife’s bottom rod with the chovie gets us a 15. Needless to say we were pretty excited. Trolled for another 2 hours with one more lost hit. Went to the nook to check in a rest before an evening troll. For the nite bite we stayed close, we were fishing the 6pm tide change and trolled couple hours with nothing around 730 it lite up a bit and the boy broke off a big fish on the surface with the big chovie, after a bit my rod with a small herring aid hammers off and is going nuts we end up getting a 20 after a pretty exciting fight. After that we packed it in.

Launched at clutsie yesterday around 930, launch was full so had to park at ford lot, also quite close to capacity. Made it to cape Beal by around 11 and we stacked one side with 6 inch chovie and small purple haze plug, put a white needle fish hootchy on the other side. Wasn’t long and the boys top rod with the plug he picked thumps down, boy manger to get an 18 into the boat with no help other than hook set. Little while latter after reset wife’s bottom rod with the chovie gets us a 15. Needless to say we were pretty excited. Trolled for another 2 hours with one more lost hit. Went to the nook to check in a rest before an evening troll. For the nite bite we stayed close, we were fishing the 6pm tide change and trolled couple hours with nothing around 730 it lite up a bit and the boy broke off a big fish on the surface with the big chovie, after a bit my rod with a small herring aid hammers off and is going nuts we end up getting a 20 after a pretty exciting fight. After that we packed it in.
Best place on earth

Hit and miss everywhere it seems. Two mid teen springs yesterday at junction pass. 4 10lb coho and 3 springs 8-18lbs this morning. White hoochies seem to be the answer last night. Today it is skinny G cop cars. 80 - 100

Ha ha, just back from Barkley, wouldn’t say it was lights out for us, but really good lol. Had to put some time in but some good quality bites at most places we fished. Was our first family trip out the inlet and into the sound, what an epic place. Had been to bamfield twice before in passing to fish Ucluelet and mostly off shore, one trip was tuna, but the surf line and sound is where’s it at for me. It was my wife, 7 year old and new born camping on the boat, did 2 nights at the nook and a night in Bam. Best results for us was between nook and cape Beal. Fished sandford to Fleming one day and got fish. Yesterday we hit Edward king made our way to Kirby put time at both with no real luck and then ran to Meares and fished to Cree also with no real luck. We landed fish up to 20 lbs and lost a few beasts all in the stretch from nook to Beal. Lost a real heavy I didn’t get to see, but is very much on my mind, at Brady beach. The boy lost a big fish that went on crazy runs side to side on the surface almost spoiling out, we saw it close but it went nuts and the boy zigged when he shoulda zagged and snapped it off. Boy also fought another heavy we saw probably 26 but came with a sea lion. Fight went on for half hour chasing had it within feet of the net but . The boy now has the ultimate alure, he’s still talking about it. Best gear for us was 3.5 herring aid with chartreuse flash and 6 inch chovie. The boy did get the first fish his biggest 18 with small purple plug at Beal first drop first day. All in all an epic trip and I’m hooked on Barkley. This morning was fquite good at the wall and I could see it may have turned lights out. Met some great people in bamfield as well as the nook and will definitely be a regular. 42 was best depth for us

just returned to home from 3 full days fishing Bamfield on the 13th to 15th. Stayed at the Seabeam. I am a new to fishing Bamfield but an experienced salt. Didn't take long to get dialed in as just about everyone catching fish. Top two fish was a 30 pound and a 20 pound spring. springs in the 12-20 pound range were very plentiful as were the chunky coho. Two fished over alongside the rocks at Effingham with good results. But the evening bite just outside the Bamfield harbor was great too. We hooked 3 chinooks in only 30 minutes there, each on coyote 4.0 "white lightning" spoons up shallow, 25-35 fow. the morning of the 15th the first light bite in front of the shore light at Whittlestone was epic for us. For at least an hour we hooked kings non-stop at quick as we could get our gear out. At least one was a monster 15+ minute fight but biggest always get away! Fished right in front of the rocks in 60-65 feet of water with 50 feet on the downrigger. After the first king fury it switched over to a mix but mostly coho. Our go to setup all 3 days was flasher with small anchovies in the Rhys Davis "Bloody Nose" clip. Only exception was the only evening bite we did with spoons as we were out of bait. Got limits of sea bass on two days to top things off. only negative was our single crab pot struck out. In love with a new lady named "Bamfield"!

Pill Point was hot this morning. We got our Springs and Coho limit in an hour. Bigger average on the springs this year. They are hitting the anchovy 37-47

just returned to home from 3 full days fishing Bamfield on the 13th to 15th. Stayed at the Seabeam. I am a new to fishing Bamfield but an experienced salt. Didn't take long to get dialed in as just about everyone catching fish. Top two fish was a 30 pound and a 20 pound spring. springs in the 12-20 pound range were very plentiful as were the chunky coho. Two fished over alongside the rocks at Effingham with good results. But the evening bite just outside the Bamfield harbor was great too. We hooked 3 chinooks in only 30 minutes there, each on coyote 4.0 "white lightning" spoons up shallow, 25-35 fow. the morning of the 15th the first light bite in front of the shore light at Whittlestone was epic for us. For at least an hour we hooked kings non-stop at quick as we could get our gear out. At least one was a monster 15+ minute fight but biggest always get away! Fished right in front of the rocks in 60-65 feet of water with 50 feet on the downrigger. After the first king fury it switched over to a mix but mostly coho. Our go to setup all 3 days was flasher with small anchovies in the Rhys Davis "Bloody Nose" clip. Only exception was the only evening bite we did with spoons as we were out of bait. Got limits of sea bass on two days to top things off. only negative was our single crab pot struck out. In love with a new lady named "Bamfield"!
Kings hmmmm, we call them Chins,Chinooks,Nookies,Smiles,Salmon,Tyee,Hogs,Slabs and even Silvers but Kings ......... Still a Great Report YOU ALL lol Thanks

5th year at poett nook for us. We did the best ever. Got fish almost everywhere we went. Landed fish at danvers, nanat, pill, kirby, edward king, cree, meares. Biggest was a 25lber fr effingham. Caught 2-18lbers while jigging in bait on a buzz bomb and stingzilda. One at pill and the other at edward king. Prawning was not good so we gave up after our 3rd drop. I heard crabbing was really good this year but we didn't have a trap. This year's benchmark will he hard to beat.

5th year at poett nook for us. We did the best ever. Got fish almost everywhere we went. Landed fish at danvers, nanat, pill, kirby, edward king, cree, meares. Biggest was a 25lber fr effingham. Caught 2-18lbers while jigging in bait on a buzz bomb and stingzilda. One at pill and the other at edward king. Prawning was not good so we gave up after our 3rd drop. I heard crabbing was really good this year but we didn't have a trap. This year's benchmark will he hard to beat.
Fyi, everything including the kitchen sink seemed to work, skinny g's, spoons hootchies. Darth Vader hootchie hit the biggest ones.

Hi Guys,
Just curious if anybody fished Pill Point, Swale Kirby, Beale etc..... this weekend. How was it? where were the hot spots? what depths and what was working? Any help would be appreciated, heading out on Friday. Thanks.

Just back from Bamfield after a week fishing with the folks, gf, and some friends. Spent the 9th -16th fishing. It was pretty hot the entire time though it really depended on where you were from day to day. Had a few great mornings and evenings at Whittlestone and Kirby. Picked up a some great fish right out front at Aguilar as well. Did not go offshore but did pop out to Beale for seabass. Fish were perfect size this year ~13lb - 26lb. Almost all fish for us were caught on white glow needlefish hoochie with 5/0 or 6/0 siwash. Though it seems the switch to bait is beginning as friends and others were doing well with herring and anchovies around the end of the trip. My girlfriend and I fished out of the 14ft Livingston and had a ball a couple days with fast action and big fish pulling us around. Also picked up our limits of coho though we were scrambling to figure out the allowed limits. Cohos 6-12lbs. Tried for Halibut at a few inside knolls but no love. Road in was about the usual.

ps: do whatever it takes to not have to buy ice in Bamfield $$$! Codfather had 40lb bags in PA for 12$ CAN.

Always a blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back