2019 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
See.. this is why I’m still questioning driving around. We can’t get stuck there the last night, but don’t want to miss out on an entire day of fishing. If the roads are in rough shape you go slow, if the water is in rough shape you don’t go at all.
I don't think that thunder21 was trying to alarm you but I sense he did. Just to put it into perspective the day that he mentioned the whole island was blowing up and temperatures actually cooled off that day so the snotty weather he described was just good old ****** weather not the afternoon thermals that we have all cautioned you about. If you carry on with this trip and I hope that you do just be aware that you are taking a small boat into some pristine and often unforgiving coastline. Watch the forecast before you go. I would suggest in my favored order: Windyty, Big Wave Dave, or Environment Canada. As FishTofino alluded to: no amount of planning can account for every possible scenario. You are in a small boat and it is completely possible (although unlikely) that you could make it to Bamfield, fish a few days and then get stuck in the harbor and have to wait out bad weather. That's the west coast......not much you can do about that. Do your best, plan for what you can, and the rest of it............well call it an adventure.

Not sure what you've researched about fishing spots but for a first trip to the area I would do a little research on Kirby, Edward King Whittlestone, Beale, and the Wall. That gives you 5 places that do hold fish. It also gives you a few choices depending on weather. There are many more good places to fish but too much info isn't always helpful.

Good luck,
Brian

Probably a silly question- but why China creek and not right in port? Is the ramp better? Cost for parking better? I mean it doesn’t look like it’s that much closer..?

If you choose to go by boat ( which is what I would do), I recommend launching at Clutesi Marina in Port. Excellent ramp, good parking. Launching at China Creek will save 10-15 minutes of boating but cost you half hour of extra trailering, partly on rough gravel.

Probably a silly question- but why China creek and not right in port? Is the ramp better? Cost for parking better? I mean it doesn’t look like it’s that much closer..?
Pay parking at china creek, your truck and trailer is safer at china creek then at clutesie, ramp is better for launching at lower tides too, the run to the nook is about 10 shorter but you have a 30min gravel road to china creek

I don't think that thunder21 was trying to alarm you but I sense he did. Just to put it into perspective the day that he mentioned the whole island was blowing up and temperatures actually cooled off that day so the snotty weather he described was just good old ****** weather not the afternoon thermals that we have all cautioned you about. If you carry on with this trip and I hope that you do just be aware that you are taking a small boat into some pristine and often unforgiving coastline. Watch the forecast before you go. I would suggest in my favored order: Windyty, Big Wave Dave, or Environment Canada. As FishTofino alluded to: no amount of planning can account for every possible scenario. You are in a small boat and it is completely possible (although unlikely) that you could make it to Bamfield, fish a few days and then get stuck in the harbor and have to wait out bad weather. That's the west coast......not much you can do about that. Do your best, plan for what you can, and the rest of it............well call it an adventure.

Not sure what you've researched about fishing spots but for a first trip to the area I would do a little research on Kirby, Edward King Whittlestone, Beale, and the Wall. That gives you 5 places that do hold fish. It also gives you a few choices depending on weather. There are many more good places to fish but too much info isn't always helpful.

Good luck,
Brian
I gave my head a good shake after contemplating driving! Like you said, it’s the west coast. I’ve dealt with crappy weather before, it’s nothing new. Just someone spelling it out made me pause! Thanks for the insight with places to start! :)

Many moons ago and my first adventure to the Nook as a rookie I drove in with my truck, camper and 22' Campion. I learned my lesson as the road was slow but ok but the dust accumulating everywhere, active logging trucks and the odd trailer part lying on the road had me already thinking it was a bad decision. Stopped in at China Creek on the way to looking into launching and leaving the trailer there but they had no room and didn't seem interested in making room. Never again as the channel from that point on was our only choice. Left the truck and trailer a week at a time at the free parking lot beside the Ford dealership and across from Clutesi. Being doing this for years without any issues with good and bad seas in the channel as we always launched around 1:30-2:00. Buddies 18' aluminium made the trip annually as well all be it a bit slower.

Years ago I owned a 14 foot Princecraft tinny. It had a 20 HP motor on it. I ran that from Port Alberni to Poett Nook at least 6 times and fished around the Sound. Twice I got caught in the snot that Nahmint has to offer and ran that boat through it without a problem. It was small enough that it just rode up and over the waves and into the troughs. We got splashed a few times but it wasn't anything we were overly concerned about. It's not something I would recommend but we had life jackets on and another boat travelling with us. I am one of those that will never trailer out that road again.

Just about everyone I know have only trailered in once. Once you have done it you will never do it again. Lol

i will also never drive the road again
We have run down the Inlet and taken the road. Granted, the road is challenging but we have taken our 17' boat and camper out to Poett Nook every year for 12 years. Keep your truck and trailer in good shape and Drive Slowly. We have had one flat trailer tire in that time and no damage to the boat or trailer. The road to Tahsis is worse, in my opinion but Big Bruce likes it. We wash the boat down when we get to the Nook. As Bruce says, the roads are actually a topic for a different thread.

Last edited:
We have run down the Inlet and taken the road. Granted, the road is challenging but we have taken our 17' boat and camper out to Poett Nook every year for 12 years. Keep your truck and trailer in good shape and Drive Slowly. We have had one flat trailer tire in that time and no damage to the boat or trailer. The road to Tahsis is worse. We wash the boat down when we get to the Nook.
Oh come on! I towed my Striper in and out of Tahsis in April and wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. It’s about 25 Kms shorter than the run to Bamfield and about half is seal coated. If you want to talk about the road to Tahsis, start another thread. Otherwise stick to the Bamfield rut (I mean route...)

Haha....I've been going since the early 80s.....countless times I've had issues.... and seen people with major problems.......u name it!!!
If u can definitely run by water....bam500.....she's a *****!!

It was my first time fishing the West Cost, but my buddy has put his boat in at China Creek a few times as he said it’s safer. He hasn’t had any problems (break-ins) leaving his boat And truck at China Creek. for three days and three nights it cost us $145 for two trucks and trailers.

Just heading home after 4 days at the nook. Fishing was real spotty. Picked up a 14lb and lost 3 nice fish at diplock , lost another to a seal:mad: 70 to 90 ft. On anchovy and herring aid spoon. Prawning and crabbing is still pretty good. The road in is getting beat up pretty bad. No it sucks

Things have slowed down forsure. Fished the past couple days out of bamfield and boated 2 fish over 10 pounds. Approximately 15-16 hours of fishing. My slowest June trip in a few years.

We were watching the weather reports last Thursday and decided to bail early Friday morning. Little sloppy for the first few hours but had the tide pushing us at 21.5 knots coming down the swells and slowing to 14 knots going up, had me giggling at times. Ended up catching a few salmon, great first experience for Barclay Sound, met some great people also. Will tow the Grady White up to Ucluelet probably for a few days in a couple weeks. Be alot more comfortable then the little 15ft Montauk!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back