2019 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Discussion in '2019 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casper5280

casper5280 Well-Known Member

We always get up early and fish the morning and make sure we are on the move up the inlet no later then 9:30-10am and rarely have had problems. Like others had said it's the later morning and afternoon that it is the worse. I find the worse part from just before Nihmint to Stamp Narrows

Fishing-duo likes this.
  2. Derby

Derby Crew Member

I actually love pounding thru there in the afternoon but have the boat to go thru there..that being said its the dead heads i fear all the time....

bigdogg1, Drink, brutus and 2 others like this.
  3. The Jackel

The Jackel Guest

Fixed it for ya highliner :)

brutus, Aces and Fishing-duo like this.
  4. Olde School

Olde School Well-Known Member

Dad just returned from a night in the sound. He reports no fish at Swale, but the Pill area was good for them.

5. Thunder21

Thunder21 Well-Known Member

I just docked my boat in Alberni about an hour ago. It was calm until about 1pm and then blew up. At 8:15pm it was blowing 22 knots and gusting to 30 knots in the inlet . Big wave Dave has a live cam of the harbour quay in Alberni that gives you a decent idea of what’s going on. It would have been a bad trip in a 17ft boat.

6. SpringVelocity

SpringVelocity Well-Known Member

X 100..

7. dmurph

dmurph Well-Known Member

How’d the commander handle it?

8. Thunder21

It does pretty good in steep chop but it isn’t the best out there . It doesn’t have a super sharp entry like a Skagit or Grady but it has enough weight behind it that it holds it’s own. Being over 10 feet wide probably doesn’t help. I’m really happy with it so far.

Sir Reel likes this.
  9. Fishing-duo

Fishing-duo New Member

See.. this is why I’m still questioning driving around. We can’t get stuck there the last night, but don’t want to miss out on an entire day of fishing. If the roads are in rough shape you go slow, if the water is in rough shape you don’t go at all.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  10. banger17

banger17 Well-Known Member

Fair comment - however with all due respect, I think you may be overthinking it a little. Having been in the exact same boat as you (literally and figuratively), heed the advice of timing and weather and you will be fine. Coming back with the wind and going slow is a better resort than trailering, in my opinion.

I usually head out in our 17’ from Alberni at 10Am and return from Bamfield on our last day after a morning fish, at about 1030 and it’s always been decent.

As an aside, I’ve had to run the inlet on an afternoon when the was blowing 30 knots to rescue a stranded boat and we made it out and back - caution, diligence, all will be fine for ya!

brutus and Fishing-duo like this.
  11. Fishing-duo

Fishing-duo New Member

I’m totally overthinking... it’s a female thing. But in all actuality, it’s also that I’m planning a surprise. If I don’t have everything planned to a T, then it won’t be nearly as good! after all no one would be as stoked with an “oh hey so I’m taking you fishing for 4 days for your birthday but you have to do your homework and plan it”

12. Aces

Aces Well-Known Member

You can’t over plan any trip because weather can change everything. You can just hope for the best

Fishing-duo likes this.
  13. Thunder21

A good option may be to leave bamfield on the last day around 11 or noon and run to China creek and fish sockeye. If the wind does pick up you will be able to get to Alberni in 15 minutes.

Fishing-duo likes this.
  14. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Crew Member

From Facebook, Perhaps our reps at the table can share and post some of the info too?

upload_2019-6-14_9-24-0.png
    upload_2019-6-14_9-25-26.png

15. chinnok

chinnok Active Member

Fishing-duo likes this.
  16. Craig Pelton

Craig Pelton New Member

I just did a guys trip to Banfield last weekend, two boats (17.5 and 18.5) 6 guys, and supplies for 4 day put our boats in at china Creek and we made it to Poetts Nook in 50 min.

Fishing-duo and Dogbreath like this.
  17. Osama Bin Hopper

Osama Bin Hopper Active Member

Here’s an example of why you’d rather boat than tow there...

Attached Files:

18. bigdogg1

bigdogg1 Active Member

Go by boat. Have done both ways several times and each time I swear I will NEVER drive the road again.

Fishing-duo likes this.
  19. RiverBoy

RiverBoy Well-Known Member

i will also never drive the road again

Fishing-duo likes this.
  20. Fishing-duo

Fishing-duo New Member

Probably a silly question- but why China creek and not right in port? Is the ramp better? Cost for parking better? I mean it doesn’t look like it’s that much closer..?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.