2018 Winter Harbour Reports

Good luck Chasin Dreams! Looking forward to hearing your report!
Look forward to the reports.

I was just talking to a couple guys up there right now and some decent size springs showing up at the highway. Also heard the new smaller size limit for the Hali's is making for a lot of returned fish between 115 and what we used to be able to keep at 133 cm's.. seems the ones up to 115 haven't been as common but they are still there. I'm going up this Wednesday. I'll update the thread with fresh reports when I'm up there fishing :)

I was just talking to a couple guys up there right now and some decent size springs showing up at the highway. Also heard the new smaller size limit for the Hali's is making for a lot of returned fish between 115 and what we used to be able to keep at 133 cm's.. seems the ones up to 115 haven't been as common but they are still there. I'm going up this Wednesday. I'll update the thread with fresh reports when I'm up there fishing :)
I suspect my new Seaqulizer is going to get a work out.... and there will be some gut wrenching moments releasing 65-70 pound hali next week... uuuuuuugh! Might be a Hewescratft SeaRunner 210 fully decked out on the market by middle of next month if they keep closing things on us fisherman who get out 2-3 times a year. Anyhow.... its called fishing... not catching....

I suspect my new Seaqulizer is going to get a work out.... and there will be some gut wrenching moments releasing 65-70 pound hali next week... uuuuuuugh! Might be a Hewescratft SeaRunner 210 fully decked out on the market by middle of next month if they keep closing things on us fisherman who get out 2-3 times a year. Anyhow.... its called fishing... not catching....
Yup I know man releasing them is not gonna be pleasurable especially if/when they are those sizes. This stuff is getting really ******. There's gotta be better ways to conserve and still benefit us sporties.

How about a 6 week Halibut season ? There's your alternative
Well for me actually that would be great but it most likely wouldn't be for most people that can't always dictate exactly when they will have their holidays to match up with an opening like that. It's hard to make everyone happy with a situation like this. That's a given.

Well for me actually that would be great but it most likely wouldn't be for most people that can't always dictate exactly when they will have their holidays to match up with an opening like that. It's hard to make everyone happy with a situation like this. That's a given.

It wouldn't bother me either but there are several different factions in play but the attempt to please everyone as how it's been the last few years seems impossible now with the shrinking quota.

Ok, let's do a 6 week season. From Feb 1 to March 15. Man that would open up options like 4 halis a day any size. Bring it on please!

I'll be heading up in a couple weeks, looking forward to hearing some reports

Got back last night from our trip to Winters Harbour. We got three days of fishing in due to one day of a heavy NW storm that blew in. We got lot's of nice Lings jigging around all the reefs everywhere where we tried with nice rock structure. Released a few nice Yellow Eye's on the decending device. Hooked a massive Hali for a 45 minute fight at a 160' contour off the reef two bays north of Lawns Point and pulled more Lings in that area too. We didn't spend much time anchored for Hali cause I like Ling meat better so we spent time targeting getting our quota of Lings. A couple fella's were doing well for Hali's out from the Lighthouse between the 250 to 300' contour on some pinnacles there. We also got a couple nice Cabazon off the reefs.

We had heard there had been some salmon showing up around the Light House and Grants bay over the past few days so we spent 45 min one morning trolling bait around the shallows off the Lighthouse with no action other than some rock fish and a couple small grills salmon so we pulled our gear and tried on the 300' contour "highway" area for another 45 min with no action, no bait showing, or fish showing on the sounder. So we pulled our gear and headed for Grants bay. There were a few boats there doing the circuit inside and just outside the bay. We hit our first Spring in just a few minutes trolling Anchovy in 65' of water and down 45' on the rigger. We hit our second minutes after that on a Herring in teaser head at the same depths. Then about 15 min after that we had a double header both on chovies at the same depth. Lot's of bait and fish showing on the sounder that morning. We also lost 3 springs in the bay and all that action in about a two hour window in the morning then it died down but still got one more spring two hours later in the bay. In the stomachs of the Springs were white Squid. See the picture of the Rock Fish for what the squid looked like that were in the Salmon's bellies. They were in large numbers in the bay according to some local info from a friend up there. We got all our Springs on chovies or Herring but other guys there were hammering the Springs with large white hootchie/flashtail/squid gear. All our Springs were in the 16 to 21 lb range and we heard someone got a 25 in the bay as well. No need to use flashers there in the small bays when the bait is in. The fish are ready to hammer down if you are trolling the right stuff at the right depths. And much funner fishing without flashers. If you wanna use one I recommend a dummy flasher off the rigger and not on your rod line.

Don't bother bringing crab or prawn traps IMHO. All our prawn traps were filled with Hag Fish that ate the prawns and sprayed slime all over the inside of the traps and of all the areas we tried for crabs we got ziltch except for one small rock crab. So many otters in the area I think they are doing a good job at eating up all the crab from the local areas.

View attachment 38185

20180531_111511.jpg

20180602_110738.jpg

20180601_104709.jpg

20180602_110834.jpg

20180531_111445.jpg

Attachments

• Ling.jpg
    Ling.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 26
Back