2018 Winter Harbour Reports

Alright... not a report... but wanted to bring this thread alive..... first trip of the year booked for first week of June... been there twice before.... but if anyone out there has any news..... lets get this one going.... just over 3 months away.... dying over here counting the days. !!!! Goal this year is a bran door over 200.... (yes... I know we will have to let her go.... but they are so docile at that size when they get up top... its easy...) Last year we hit one that was probably close.... and broke it off just by the boat... this year the camera will be running..... ! Tight lines all!

Alright... not a report... but wanted to bring this thread alive..... first trip of the year booked for first week of June... been there twice before.... but if anyone out there has any news..... lets get this one going.... just over 3 months away.... dying over here counting the days. !!!! Goal this year is a bran door over 200.... (yes... I know we will have to let her go.... but they are so docile at that size when they get up top... its easy...) Last year we hit one that was probably close.... and broke it off just by the boat... this year the camera will be running..... ! Tight lines all!
Good idea ronj, always nice to know there are other die hards counting the days till WH trips. We are booked in up there June 8th through June 15th. Should be lots of time to play around and be selective. Good luck out there.

I am looking around for one of those deep release trigger devices..... last year the Yellow Eye were so plentiful.... it was hard watching and waiting for them to go down.... usually by they time they drifted away... we never knew if they went down or not. Any ideas?

I am looking around for one of those deep release trigger devices..... last year the Yellow Eye were so plentiful.... it was hard watching and waiting for them to go down.... usually by they time they drifted away... we never knew if they went down or not. Any ideas?
I have one and seen them in most of the fishing stores (Tyee Marine, River Sportsman, PNT,Harbour Chandler). Called the "SeaQualizer" and they run around $70.00 but they are worth every penny in my eyes as they get those fish back down to the deep. Hope this helps!

good luck me finding this in Alberta... I will be hunting one down.... its an awful feeling once you have your yellow eye limits to be jigging up Ling and hitting Yellow Eye...looks like a pumpkin floating away... tried with a small wire hook I made off the downrigger.... but did not always work. Anyone know if they should be lowered at a a certain rate? Would a hundred feet be OK to release one that came up from 200 or so?

Just found this online on the SeaQulizer website.... looks like the 50/100/150 release device will be the way to go.

The Standard SeaQualizer is our original device. It has three depth settings (50-100-150) to choose from. This device is ideal for fishing in up to 300ft of water for most effective releases. As a rule of thumb fish should be released from between 1/3 to 1/2 the depth at which they are caught. So if you are fishing between 60-300 feet, this is the device for you.

Harbour Chandler has free shipping on orders over $100. Grab a couple other bits of tackle as wel and you’ll be over $100 with your order.

Well... looks like a Seaqulizer will be pretty much mandatory this year... in my opinion. If I have read some things correct.... no Yellow Eye?
I sure hope most fishermen Rec or Guides grab one of the devices.... going to order mine right now. Thanks for the tip on where to buy N2013.

good luck me finding this in Alberta... I will be hunting one down.... its an awful feeling once you have your yellow eye limits to be jigging up Ling and hitting Yellow Eye...looks like a pumpkin floating away... tried with a small wire hook I made off the downrigger.... but did not always work. Anyone know if they should be lowered at a a certain rate? Would a hundred feet be OK to release one that came up from 200 or so?

I just ordered mine online. You wont find it retail in Alberta.

Have the new Hali regs (115cm) and the no Yelloweye been posted somewhere official yet?
I havent seen an update on the FOC site.

The new Hali size came out when the notice went out for the opening. Haven’t seen anything about Yelloweye either.

I think they will wait until the last minute to post the new regs. They love waiting until Friday, so my guess would be Next Friday March 30th

Back