2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Out yesterday for Hali off Victoria in a buddies 16 foot boat. A perfect flat calm dry day except for a few light sprinkles late in the afternoon. There were many Humpback whales around and some impressive sights; four blows at the same time etc. This was the same spot where my buddy's boat got a 3o and a 41 last week. We were using salmon belly edge strips and smaller salmon heads - somewhat doggie resistant as they can't get their mouth around them but the Hali can. Nothing but Dog fish and 5 Pacific Cod for our efforts but still a nice day on the water- dress warm. So that is zero Halibut for me so far this year. It is not hard to see why having a long season is absolutely critical for sport Halibut fishing on South VI.

Last edited:
If you were brave (crazy) enough to fish through the chop this morning, you were likely rewarded with some action!
The flats are still producing and if you send back enough 3 and 4lbers to put on some weight, you’ll eventually end up with a few 6 and 7lbers in your boat.
Bite was on from about 0930-1030 and the fish were on the bottom from 90-120 ft.

If you were brave (crazy) enough to fish through the chop this morning, you were likely rewarded with some action!
The flats are still producing and if you send back enough 3 and 4lbers to put on some weight, you’ll eventually end up with a few 6 and 7lbers in your boat.
Bite was on from about 0930-1030 and the fish were on the bottom from 90-120 ft.

Glad you got into some fish this morning RTDub! I buzzed out there around 10am but quickly bailed. Watching my stern corners sink to near water level in the swells just didn’t do it for me. :( Hazards of the 14 footers I guess. Shame too cause we were marking.

The flats were almost too good to me today. I must say, if you like spring fishing offshore on the WCVI, fish the flats now; just as good and not even that deep! I wish I had taken a couple of buddies along, could have limited for 3 or 4 easy had I stayed longer. Between 10 and 11:30 consistent action, some barely legal but nicer ones were in the mix. Kept a 9 and a 10#. Any slender spoon seemed agreeable, most hits a bit off the bottom in 130' water. Interestingly, I saw no bait and no real schools of salmon on the sounder. But they were there and agressive. Great fun with no inline flasher!
C0B7EAEC-FCE5-4376-8930-F18ED8A2AF3B.jpeg

Last edited:
We took another shot at halibut Sunday.
Dogs were tolerable, fished herring and salmon bellies between the Race and Mud hole 260 to 325' on and off anchor using the small motor to control the wind.
Abandoned our usual Oak Bay spots.
Zipo
I do hear of a few hali coming in, but we can't seem to find them!

The flats were almost too good to me today. I must say, if you like spring fishing offshore on the WCVI, fish the flats now; just as good and not even that deep! I wish I had taken a couple of buddies along, could have limited for 3 or 4 easy had I stayed longer. Between 10 and 11:30 consistent action, some barely legal but nicer ones were in the mix. Kept a 9 and a 10#. Any slender spoon seemed agreeable, most hits a bit off the bottom in 130' water. Interestingly, I saw no bait and no real schools of salmon on the sounder. But they were there and agressive. Great fun with no inline flasher!
View attachment 41505

Yeah thanks for calling!

Got out this aft for short trip 12-3pm but timing must have been good. Got one inside the green can & the other at the breakwater.Had 4 bites kept 2 4lb springs and got 4 keeper crabs.

Attachments

• IMG_1228.JPG
    IMG_1228.JPG
    374.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1229.JPG
    IMG_1229.JPG
    328 KB · Views: 149
Got out this aft for short trip 12-3pm but timing must have been good. Got one inside the green can & the other at the breakwater.Had 4 bites kept 2 4lb springs and got 4 keeper crabs.
Nice job! Only a complete idiot would’ve passed on that opportunity:eek:

Got out for a couple hrs on the hi flood off Mcaulay & green Can. Had a double header as the other rod went off as I was bringing in the first fish. Loosened the drag a bit and continued to bring in a very scrappy and thick 6 lb white male chinook,2nd fish was off when I got to it.Fish had shrimp in its belly. In shallow 50 ft and 49 on the rigger.
Another boat returned same time and had a couple keepers ,he was fishing over off Esq lagoon on the flats. Wind came up a bit but a beauty day out there.

Attachments

• IMG_1234.JPG
    IMG_1234.JPG
    454.7 KB · Views: 108
View attachment 41505

When you say the flats do you mean constanance bank? I’m new to the area and from he gulf islands so I’m not sure of all the spots over there. Great work on the catch btw.

Constance bank is 6 miles off shore from the Victoria waterfront.

The Flats are in Oak Bay off the south east side of Trial island in around the 120ft contour towards and past Brodie rock. Keep your distance from Brodie rock. It can surprise you if your’re not paying attention. Lots of lost gear there.

Many guys launch from cattle point. It’s free but a bit challenging for larger boats if you are solo.

Weather has been very windy lately. 3-5 foot swells at the launch. Cool to watch! :)

Cheers

Constance bank is 6 miles off shore from the Victoria waterfront.

The Flats are in Oak Bay off the south east side of Trial island in around the 120ft contour towards and past Brodie rock. Keep your distance from Brodie rock. It can surprise you if your’re not paying attention. Lots of lost gear there.

Many guys launch from cattle point. It’s free but a bit challenging for larger boats if you are solo.

Weather has been very windy lately. 3-5 foot swells at the launch. Cool to watch! :)

Cheers

Awesome thanks for the detailed info. I am hoping to get the boat out for some winter springs soon. This weather has been nasty lately but would love to make the run down there. The gulf island hasn’t had much action lately.

Going to give it a go around Xmas at Macaulay. How’s the commercial crab trap situation off Esquimalt Anglers?

I still see the crab boat running through Oak Bay towards the waterfront. Not sure if he is from Sidney or the mainland. It is the same big fast aluminum that was around all summer.

A fishing report for those unable to get out at this time of the year.. I went out Monday morning to Constance - it was a late morning as I wanted to let the wife sleep in a few hours so I would feel no guilt on the water - and dropped the lines in around 10:30. Had one in the boat before the second line was down (4-5lbs) and fished until noon. BWD said there was a storm warning starting at noon so I decided to pack it in.. when bringing up my second line, a nice fish followed it to the surface and took my lure just behind the boat. Played it for a couple minutes and before it spat the hook alongside the boat. Overall a beautiful day on the water, two fish to the boat and fish taco's for dinner. It didn't start blowing until later that evening and I was pretty bummed I came in on a slack tide with a few hrs of good fishing weather left..

Back