2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

In the same area as Rob, picked up one hatch coho about 5 pounds and a 14ish springer.
Foggy as hell, was like fishing in Sooke but less boats. Lol
Far from stellar fishing but, was fun nonetheless.

Got out from 8:45 to 10:00 this morning. 2 wild coho and 1 hatchery. Very foggy again today. Fish out from the green can.

Harbour mouth was quiet for me in am. 1 Coho at Constance. Not alot of boats out?

Tried my luck on the waterfront this morning solo starting at about 9am. The green can was socked in so I ended up fishing in front of the Esquimalt Anglers launch. Lots of baitfish at the 70-90 foot contours, but no bites. Had to eventually bail out at 10am when the fog rolled through.

Quite a few crab trap bouys hiding just below the surface there, just about snagged one :(

Last edited:
Fished the waterfront from 7:30 to 10:30. NADA. Trolled over to Albert Head and back 10:30 to 1:30pm ,,nothing going over but two good hits that didn't stick on the way back.

Went out for the evening bite off the waterfront. Marked lots of fish at 40 ft in 180 ft of water But only managed a shaker. Trolled to Brochie had a good hit that got off early. Back and forth along the breakwater with no hits, heard of 1 caught. Trolled back past Mcaulay to Fleming launch with nothing in the tub.

I was out last weekend from Esquimalt. The coho were hiding along the tidelines under the kelp and wood, but I didn't have to go far. First tideline was in the 190-200 ft depth, then the next around the 250 depth. Both the first and second tidelines held fish. I was in the triangle between the yellow can, Albert head, and Brotchie.

Water was a little jumpy at Constance this am. 1 Coho
All 3 Resident Orca pods came in from Race at 1pm.

Was out front this morning 7:15 start. Lost a nice screamer by the green can and had a pin popper before 9am. The screamer bent my coho killer into a pretzel. Not much after that. Coming back into flemming I was about 100ft from the crab trap bouy. F###### commie crabbers!!! Right out front of Ogden Pt. Is there no where else they can go?? Lost a cannon ball and had all my gear lost as well. The trap line must have 75'-100' of slack. I was pissed!! I pulled that line for all I had and recovered my flasher but there must be 75+lbs of weight on that trap. I was fishing alone and through for safety I would let it go.

I really enjoy a good crab dinner but I wouldn't think of planting a trap in the middle of the Rec fishermen playground. I digress....

Was out front this morning 7:15 start. Lost a nice screamer by the green can and had a pin popper before 9am. The screamer bent my coho killer into a pretzel. Not much after that. Coming back into flemming I was about 100ft from the crab trap bouy. F###### commie crabbers!!! Right out front of Ogden Pt. Is there no where else they can go?? Lost a cannon ball and had all my gear lost as well. The trap line must have 75'-100' of slack. I was pissed!! I pulled that line for all I had and recovered my flasher but there must be 75+lbs of weight on that trap. I was fishing alone and through for safety I would let it go.

I really enjoy a good crab dinner but I wouldn't think of planting a trap in the middle of the Rec fishermen playground. I digress....

This isn’t the right thread for this but I’ll put it out here simply because this crab trap issue is a reoccurring theme in this thread.

DFO has a mandate that speaks to this issue of commercial crabbers fishing in recreational
waters in their Management Plan under Management Issues Point 4:

Commercial Crab Closure Requests from First Nations and Recreational representatives

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/mplans/2018/crab-crabe-sm-2018-eng.html

but nothing is stated about closures for Recreational areas, just First Nations. The reasoning is attributed to “A lack of catch and effort information resulting in a limited amount of information upon which to assess closure requests"

Our encounters with these traps are data the DFO can and should be using to assess these closures. In this context, I contacted Steve Groves (steven.groves@dfo-mpo.gc.ca), responsible for the Regional Crab role in our area, regarding my near tangleing encounter with a submerged crab trap between MacAulay and Saxe Points last week and he was very receptive and concerned about this, asking me to provide a picture or number on the crab float and it's location so they could investigate.

May I suggest we all do the same for traps we feel are hazardous. A call to the coast guard wouldn't hurt either at these traps are navigation hazards at minimum.

Last edited:
Thanks for stepping forward, @Irishwolf! We should all follow the same actions you did if we hope to have any change for the better! If they don’t know it’s a problem, nothing will be done about it.

Stizz

Back to reports. Let’s see pics of those late year hogs

Took the weekend off but got out off the breakwater this am in the sun and calm water. 9am on Chrome Bottom Joanne teaser anchovie near the bend in the breakwater in 80 ft and 66 on the rigger the rod went off and on the end of that trailing hook landed a white ( I mean white!) female on the scale at 19 1/2 lb. This was followed by another hit on the next loop but on the green Coho killer was a scrappy 10 lb wild Coho that swam away. No other hits and got home for lunch and an afternoon of work.

Attachments

• Orig.JPG
    Orig.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 41
Haven’t been out as much as I’d like lately, but the night bites have been pretty consistent for me of late. Picked up a beaut late season spring and a nice hatch coho on a last minute solo mission tonight!

Attachments

• 875EBD96-53B8-4FB7-BFB4-F88C1B377344.png
    875EBD96-53B8-4FB7-BFB4-F88C1B377344.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
When I put my boat in today a gent walked up to me and handed me a couple of knives he found at the fish cleaning station at Esquimalt Anglers.
Just putting the word out there if you left yours behind, let me know the type and we'll try and reconnect you with it.

well monday and tuesday night on the flats, not much fish there to be had but there is signs. The weekend the bait was scattered from downtown to discovery (Lots of birds) If you managed to navigate the fog :) Saturday got a tiny guy, sunday skipped out, Monday and tues night bites from right after work 5pm till about 7pm managed a 4lb on Monday and double last night. All small fish but at least it's fish and I was on the water making the most of the season before I gotta pack it in for the winter :( It's been a wonderful year and here's hoping the coho come in huge schools. Oh and whale show in the 3rd tide line both monday and tuesday.

Solo trip yesterday on waterfront 9-2. Didn't see any action at breakwater. Saw two hookups near Brotchie. I had 2 bites all day, last one off Saxe pt just before coming in. Was nice 10lb or so wild coho that went back on her way.

Beautiful evening on Constance bank between 6-7pm last night with one 10lb spring that had a lot of fight. Love those quiet calm fall evenings with the water to myself. Did see another boat jigging catch one too

Beautiful evening on Constance bank between 6-7pm last night with one 10lb spring that had a lot of fight. Love those quiet calm fall evenings with the water to myself. Did see another boat jigging catch one too

It sure is nice to have a nice evening out: calm, not many other boats (1 other), and just working the water and not having to worry about running into another. PS: if Saturday was so foggy 10 meter vis, and ppl were running on plane that was annoying.

Got out today from 10-1 in the usual spots. Got our first hit early but it was a small Coho, headed towards Brochie searching inside a structure that has been holding fish but none hiding in there so headed towards breakwater lighthouse when a decent hit on green Coho killer that turned back towards the boat a spat the hook. Headed up along the breakwater with anchovie on one side ,glow hootchie on the other and right in my new sweet spot off the bend in 80 ft and 66 on the rigger marked some fish and bang it's off the pin and running before we even got to the rod. Screamed line out then stopped so the tug o war was on. She took another long run and I was happy to see my mate into a nice fish as he hasn't been out much this yr. The fight sadly only lasted for ten mins ending with a long long line release followed by some choice words. We circled back and hit that spot some more but never had another bite for the rest of the day. It seems like you get one shot or maybe 2 over a 30 min period of the bite then nothing. If you don't land that fish you go home empty handed. Good luck to you all this weekend and post up your catches and adventures ;-)

Back