Wow thats huge. Wonder if that was the monster I heard someone talking about on the radio on Saturday.

Early on Saturday I took the father inlaw out one more time before he went home. Hung out with the other 20 boats by Wya. A few pin poppers but no love. Saw a few fish caught by others. Stopped on the way back and got a couple keeper Lings and a Tiger. Dropped the Salmon gear for one more hour just East of Beg. 4 pin poppers and finally stuck a small Spring for lunch. Lots of fun for the old man the last 2 weeks. He'll have stories to tell his buddies when he gets home. Haha. He could barely hold the Ling up for a pic.

IMG-20180825-WA0008.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone went to the Big Bank on Sunday or Monday?
We tried but the swells seemed huge for this Sooke local (haha) and so turned back about half way there (8mile south of Ukee)
Cheers

Was there Saturday. None stop action on Coho with a sprinkle of springs. Couldn’t keep the coho off tried everything and still hitting one after another.

just back from a trip. A steady wall of springs now coming along the beach from Way in. We fished Begg island in the fog , the last few days and did very well. Biggest was 25. Got our limit, son very happy. Every boat near us was getting constant fish. The sizes averaged 12-18 lbs, like cookie cutters. Guys that went to big bank area got their coho non stop, then shifted in for the afternoon tide at Way. We fished Cree and Meares for a few hours, but not a sniff. Came back to Chrow is, and bang, a 22lb in short time. Fog at Way was quite thick most of day, and Monday sloppy. Had to use radar from the boat basin all the way out. A lot of happy people at cleaning stations a boat basin and island west. Charter boats we saw had a lot of happy campers.

oh and we had a mid 20's right up to the boat and line broke ...he took my favorite gold Betsey flasher, if anyone finds, could I get it back....

Last edited:
Anyone been out last couple of days? Wouldn't mind hearing reports good or bad. Heard Wya was slow so went out Weds night for a couple of hours by Begg then over to Great Bear, but no action. Thinking of heading over to Bamfield side next time out. Any predictions with all this rain?

Fished from the 1st to the 6th salmon beach. First day we hung around turtle rock for 2 hrs last light. 12 lb spring tomic 602 ,12lb coho lucky louie big butch.2nd day morning trolled to food groups lost a few fish 4 hrs.Evening fish was off forbes light house 2hrs 12 lb spring luckie louie 6"white .monday morning 2 hrs spring fishing found grills on the flasher Gnugget line every 15 min ,tide was right for spinning coho of the big beach and picked up 4 11lb coho with no problem in a couple hours.evening fish was at david and no fish 2hrs.Teusday morning back to light house on forbes lost a 20lb to a seal, got my good 602 back ,4 hrs.Evening fish was at turtle rk 2 hrs a lost fish.Wednsday morning was a sleep in day and found ourselves doing sb park things and going to town for ice as we had no room left in the freezer.evening 4 hours produced the biggest spring just at dark 25# ,it jumped and cartwheeled 7 times ,best fighting fish all year.Thursday morning back at forbes light with a double header 12# 14# springs lucky louie ,602 t,went and spinned for coho and found 2 at 11 lbs 6 hrs.evening fish produced nothing 2hrs.All trolling once we gave up on flasher and spoons was done with white plugs @20 -35 in 50-60 feet of water.weather was the best I'v seen it in years.

Monday I was over at swale for a few hours, released lots of small springs, fun! Fished for a couple hours on Tuesday morning at Crowe Island, not a sniff on chovie and skinny G herring aid. Beautiful, warm, smooth rollers.
Had to go home for a couple days, now at Salmon Beach for the remainder of Sept. Blowing a gale today, doing some trailer repairs while waiting for the wind to die down. Will report, sooner than later I hope.

Afternoon at Swale and Harbour Entrance, one hit that didn't stick.
Chovies and skinny g herring aid 40 feet in tight.
Beautiful afternoon after the gales of the past few days.
Edit: Buddy spent the late afternoon at WYA, boated an 8# and lost a big one.
Cop Car Flasher and Cop Car Coho Killer.

Last edited:
Got out to Rats Nose yesterday after Hali, we managed our 3 the largest was 110 cm. Seems as most of the action was using herring for bait, that said, the largest was caught on salmon belly. Only saw two other boats the whole time! Pic is mine - 90cm.
Super smooth and sunny skies for us!

Attachments

• 1B816AB6-BBD2-48D6-97C7-A964E14498CC.jpeg
    1B816AB6-BBD2-48D6-97C7-A964E14498CC.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Nice job. I'm gonna try to get out this Sunday morning maybe over to Wya or Bamfeild side for one last go for some Salmon. Can anyone tell me when the Salmon season pretty much ends? Wondering if I should pay for another month of moorage.

Nice job. I'm gonna try to get out this Sunday morning maybe over to Wya or Bamfeild side for one last go for some Salmon. Can anyone tell me when the Salmon season pretty much ends? Wondering if I should pay for another month of moorage.
As I understand it, springs are pretty much done (still the odd one being picked up) but coho should be here till month end.
We tried for salmon yesterday also when we were at Rats but all we were able to get was a Mackerel.

Anyone stay in the princess resort this year? Looking for something around August next season that's affordable and would like some feedback, haven't seen the place in 15 years lol. Looks like most of the airbnb are booked up

Anyone stay in the princess resort this year? Looking for something around August next season that's affordable and would like some feedback, haven't seen the place in 15 years lol. Looks like most of the airbnb are booked up
I think its gone, they pulled the ship out of the arbour

I didn't personally stay there but I had a few of my guests stay there. They said it was okay but everything was pretty dated and could use some renovations! I'd message ucluelet charters he may be able to help you out with a place....

At Ukee for a week starting yesterday. Fished out to Wya yesterday in and after the rain and only netted one Chinook in low teens on a coho killer. Heading out late morning today and unsure where to head... See where the boat points leaving the harbour LOL. Much action around? Any offshore coho activity? Want to try Halibut this week as well.

At Ukee for a week starting yesterday. Fished out to Wya yesterday in and after the rain and only netted one Chinook in low teens on a coho killer. Heading out late morning today and unsure where to head... See where the boat points leaving the harbour LOL. Much action around? Any offshore coho activity? Want to try Halibut this week as well.

Yes I was out solo in that monsoon yesterday early morning by Wya too. Only one pin popper that I missed on an anchovy in teaser head. Sounds like the Bamfield side might be a bit better.

Post on Saturday on Bamfield forum.
"3 springs yesterday at whittlestone.. the feed is tiny, break out the skinny g. even a wee g. lots of bait around. 37' deep 30' back."

Monday spent the day at Great Bear, Effingham, to Pill point with little to show for it. Tuesday headed out to Big Bank and Rats Nose. Quiet most of day till 330 then it lit up with anchovies the ticket kept a spring and hatch coho. No luck on halis though.

Forgot to report way back at end of June, but heres a little low production value video for what its worth in the small boat on South bank.

Despite not having the Trophy this year due to Engine trouble we took advantage of a calm day and headed out to Ucluelet. After almost sinking the boat the day prior from a livewell water intake pump breaking we were back out in the big ocean the next day. We tried in close without much action besides some rockfish and lingcod. Since the weather seemed like it was staying calm we headed offshore for the afternoon to see what was cooking at south bank. In no time at all was started marking nice bait schools near bottom and the downrigger releases were popping in no time. The key ticket this day was the Gibb Delta Skinny G spoon in green and while or cop car. Didn't seem to matter. We couldn't get a fish to take the hootchie but spoons were the big ticket item. Even caught a chicken Halibut and 7 chinook in our afternoon on the bank. What a great day with the family. Sorry didn't end up getting more footage. Fishing was too fast and crazy. Thanks for watching as always.

Back