This might not be the correct place to post this but clarification just came from DFO on the fishing closure from Otter Point westward.
The only change, from the measures previously announced, is to the fishing boundary at Otter Point that lies west of 123 degrees 49.345 minutes west longitude
(in line with the radio tower located at Otter Point).

Reactions: NAD
Out with Rockfish and our friend Hammer yesterday. We fished around Secretary Island and hooked up three springs and a wild coho that we released. Caught two on the Andrew P sandlance spoon and one on a white glow hootchie. Great fight by the big one that took off like a freight train a couple of times with some long runs and also charged the boat twice. Rockfish had to goose the engine to keep up. Bigger fish are coming in. it was nice to get one in the twenties! Hammer was happy to celebrate his birthday with some fresh fish and fresh crab!

Attachments

• Hammer bday salmon.jpg
    Hammer bday salmon.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 143
Had a good day off Beechey head this morning. Picked up 2 nice ones, almost twins around 15 lbs.
Both on anchovies, one at 55' the other at 75'.
Saw loads of shakers being caught and released as well.

Out with Rockfish and our friend Hammer yesterday. We fished around Secretary Island and hooked up three springs and a wild coho that we released. Caught two on the Andrew P sandlance spoon and one on a white glow hootchie. Great fight by the big one that took off like a freight train a couple of times with some long runs and also charged the boat twice. Rockfish had to goose the engine to keep up. Bigger fish are coming in. it was nice to get one in the twenties! Hammer was happy to celebrate his birthday with some fresh fish and fresh crab!

I like your reports because you are often fishing outside the pack and with gear that not everyone is running.
And you have good success.
Good on you.

Fished the head to trap this morning. Lots of shakers out there probably released 15. Kept 2 springs and a sockeye. Lost a spring and a really nice Sox by the boat. Beautiful morning no fog. Sox was caught on bait at 54’. The Sox we lost was on a spoon 81’

Fished sockeye for the first 2 hours this morning...we should have started earlier as it was on as soon as the gear hit the water. Landed 3, lost 4 or 5 in about 40 minutes and then it went quiet...except we released a wild coho. Switched to springs and joined the pack on shore and managed 3 springs but nothing of real size. Seemed quite slow on the beach too this morning. Maybe an afternoon bite?

Fished otter today. Kept 2 springs and a sockeye. Nothing big.
Lost a couple and released lots of shakers

Was fishing springs when a school of sox flopped through. Put a sockeye hootch down the middle and got one right away. Saw a few caught then they were gone.

Total combat fishing.
Never seen it so bad in Sooke.
No flow. About 4 guys that could not figure out right of ways and made a mess of things. Couple of extremely ignorant guides. One that’s always ignorant and one i have never seen before. You’d think with C numbers or their business name on their boat they’d be less ignorant and follow the rules.

No real bite in the morning. Just a fish caught here and there and saw nothing big.

About 4:00 there was finally a decent bite where a couple nice ones were caught. We didn’t get in on the bite because we were staying outside the pack to avoid the show.

Still a great day with my son who caught 2 of the 3 fish. His first 12 hour derby day.
He was a champ!

Last edited:
Let me guess Tips Grady with a c number?? BLUE WATER PRO.....?????
Dont know where this so called guy came from ive yelled at him a few times now as he has come right up behind me and followed me turn for turn dont get me wrong if your back a ways or ff to side I get that but this guy whoever it is is plain being a butt.
that was by far the worse ive ever seen it too... ITS REALLY EASY TO DO YOU GO UP RIGHT ROD TO SHORE if you dont understand what that means going west tact with your starboard side to otter. TURN OUT LEFT. (south) circle back around and start all over again.

Sockeye mayhem this morning for an hour at daybreak. Left the dock at 5:30 and headed straight out from harbour, dropped in the first line and fish on before I had tightened the drag down. Had 5 on at once as all rods went off. Ended up stopping at 10 soxs at 6:30 so we had room for a couple of springs in the limit. We lost another 5 or 6 as well. Real shallow for the first 10 mins and then the lower rods took over so lowered them all down a bit. No love on the springs only saw 4 caught.

About 4:00 there was finally a decent bite where a couple nice ones were caught. We didn’t get in on the bite because we were staying outside the pack to avoid the show.

Still a great day with my son who caught 2 of the 3 fish. His first 12 hour derby day.
He was a champ![/QUOTE]

Yeah I feel for you I was there two. It's not like that last few times I have been there. I also had a weird experience with a b
Let me guess Tips Grady with a c number?? BLUE WATER PRO.....?????
Dont know where this so called guy came from ive yelled at him a few times now as he has come right up behind me and followed me turn for turn dont get me wrong if your back a ways or ff to side I get that but this guy whoever it is is plain being a butt.
that was by far the worse ive ever seen it too... ITS REALLY EASY TO DO YOU GO UP RIGHT ROD TO SHORE if you dont understand what that means going west tact with your starboard side to otter. TURN OUT LEFT. (south) circle back around and start all over again.

I was out that day too. Normally I would say yes but no one has been following that at all there. Basically all I did was stay on outside of that gong show and at end of loop align with the tower go perpendicular to shore go back and in loop and start again. I honestly didn't know what going on close to shore there. Its isn't just one guide boat all of them were doing it. Last three times its been like that, so I just went to trailer park where there are fish anyway.

A little slow for us at SESS derby over few days just a few smaller fish. Fished West Sat and far east on Sunday to avoid the circus in the west. They are around just have to be in right spot at right time. I wouldn't say it is lights out fishing, but fairly decent. Its going to get way better.

I think 60 fish came in from derby on second day. Biggest being 29 lbs.

Last edited:
Fished Pedder Bay early on Sunday morning, had the lines in the water by 6:15 am. Nothing going on until around 8 am then a nice bite came on. Saw other boats with some fish on and I picked up two springs both around 11 lbs. Had another pin popper that didn't stick and lost another one right at the boat as I was trying to get the net. Got to love the clown show when you are fishing by yourself. Was done by 9:15 am. Picked them up on anchovy with bloody nose teaser head and between 55 and 65 feet on the rigger.

This should be Sooke's week right here. Big floods in August, peaks out around Thursday, Friday. If you have some holidays or you want to pick a week to be sick and stay home from work this is it. This is the week I've booked off to be there for many years and it's never let me down. Get out there and get em they will be coming in. Good luck and I expect some pictures of some nice fish over the next week or so.

Roy !! Let's see em.

Took a buddy out for a quick trip out this morning and quickly changed from spring gear to sockeye when they were jumping right off possession point.
5 nice socs and a Chinook.

Attachments

• 20180805_142143 (300x400).jpg
    20180805_142143 (300x400).jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 121
Nice work on the sockeye profisher, what’s the recommended setup to get into them?
Short leaders and what sort of plastic?
Thanks

Another quick trip today. Left the dock at 5:30 and dropped gear in at Secretary Island by 5:45 in the fog. I got 2 rods down stacked on one rigger and one of my female guests is not liking the fog and the current slop. She wants to go back. So I bring up the downrigger and pop off the top rod and the rigger starts to bounce. Ends up being a 12 pound spring on the sockeye gear. Land him and head back to the dock. Drop off both ladies and head back out with Harvey. We have gear back in the water by 6:15. By 7:15 we have another spring and 6 sockeye on board, had to release 2 more sox as we finished with a triple and we lost another 5 or 6 to arial acrobatics that threw hooks. Back at the dock by 7:30. Its gong show mayhem but a ton of fun. Rods everywhere, net tangled up, slime and blood on the deck (I'm telling my guests don't wear good cloths!!!!) and fish on again before you are ready for them. Kingspring: reddy/pink squirt hootchies...I only use the ones with the glow white head section and set them up with the barrel swivel pulled through so the front eyelet is exposed to tie to. Lots of gear...I run 5 lines all within 5 feet of each other depth wise. First light...one rigger 15 and 30 feet (stacked) the other side 20 and 35 ft and the centre rigger 40ft. So I cover 15, 20, 30, 35 and 40 feet. The top rods usually produce first and then the lower one after about 15 -30 minutes....I then shift them to 25/40ft, 30/45 and 50 feet. Move them down as the action drops off. The key is the flashers...you want your setup to look like a school of sockeye. Pick a flasher that looks like the colours of fresh ocean bright soxs. I run all 5 of the same flashers. Never pull all the gear out of the water even if you have to leave one down with a fish on it. The school will follow that fish and you can drop gear right bacvk down to them. The last important thing is you will hook up into way more fish with some degree of westerly heading...whether sw or nw...I spend very little time going east if I can help it.

Attachments

• fish today.jpg
    fish today.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 71
Fished 6-10am this morning in the fog and slop at the Head. You couldn't keep the rods down with all the small springs hitting for the first 30 minutes. Ended up keeping a couple nice Sockeye all on pink squirts with glow heads and short leaders.

98099@2x.png

That is about as much detail as you will ever get out of me...lol I guess I was feeling generous today. There are lots of fish there to be had so I don't mind helping others get few. They are an easy fish to catch once you know how. The other big thing is they are a strange fish..they jump out and tail dance like coho of old...or absolutely nothing at all and just come right in and do nothing until they hit the net. Don't waste any time they bite like crazy and then it just ends...get the gear back in fast while its on.

Back