2018 Sidney Reports

9 hours on the hook between yesterday and today. Nothing but dogfish. Next try for Hali will be in jdf.

I drifted and backtrolled basically every square inch around Zero Rock from Darcy to Johnstone on Sunday and couldnt scrape up a halibut for the Sidney Anglers inhouse derby. Didnt make it to the weigh in to know for sure but the guys I did talk to didnt have any luck either.

Fished Wain Rock Sunday morning. Calm and sunny. Reminded my why I moved from the prairies. We landed an 8 lb hatch, caught at 90' in 120' feet of water on the south side of the rock. Used a green skinny 'g' behind a purple haze flasher.

I haven't been checked by DFO in years...until Sunday. They pulled along side and checked licences, hooks and fish. All good. They were a pleasure to deal with.

Couple days drifting around outta Sidney. Nothing yesterday off D’arcy, nothing today off Zero Rock.

Been out 4 times in the last week around Wain rock and Sidney with a few interesting moments here and there.
Had a rod holder snap and looked back to see my rod go sailing into the deep.... luckily I bury the line deep into the clip so got it back.
Saanich inlet seems slow right now which isn't helping my confidence for the derby on Saturday. Lost 3 good fish in Sidney channel yesterday including one that had to have been in the low 20s that wrapped around my cannonball and snapped off.....that hurt. Picked up 16lb today on an AP sandlance.IMG_20180313_132131.jpg

I hit the dock before sunrise and bombed out to Fairfax. nothing. Then I went back to James island and hooked a couple undersized Water was glassy and saw some porpoises up close. Starting to feel like summer is around the corner!

Ps. If you’re dragging bottom at Fairfax in 120’ watch out for both of my cannon balls I left there for ya!

Ps. If you’re dragging bottom at Fairfax in 120’ watch out for both of my cannon balls I left there for ya!
You might try setting the brake on your down rigger to a lighter setting. I hang the ball off the side of my boat and pull down on the ball with 25ish pounds of force while I adjust the tension nut on top of the spool. I loosen it until I can pull line out by hand. That way when you hook up on the bottom you will spool line out instead of snapping it off. I get my ball back at least 90 % of the time if I hook bottom now.

You might try setting the brake on your down rigger to a lighter setting. I hang the ball off the side of my boat and pull down on the ball with 25ish pounds of force while I adjust the tension nut on top of the spool. I loosen it until I can pull line out by hand. That way when you hook up on the bottom you will spool line out instead of snapping it off. I get my ball back at least 90 % of the time if I hook bottom now.

Yep. If you snag up, just back up the way you came and you can usually get the ball unsnagged.

Thanks for the tips, guys! Both times were quite weird and the steel cable (the lighter 150lb) broke just below the clip, so at least I got my terminal gear back. I’m thinking of upgrading to newer downtiggers, I just wish there was a thread where people would tell me if I should buy the 1106 or the 2106. Oh wait, there is!
Anyways back to reports please. Let’s see more of those beauties in the teens or even 20’s!

I can help you get your riggers set up like mine if you want, Stizzla. I got hung up on a crab trap yesterday fishing solo and didnt lose any gear! Also didnt land any keepers but there are lots of unders out there.

I can help you get your riggers set up like mine if you want, Stizzla. I got hung up on a crab trap yesterday fishing solo and didnt lose any gear! Also didnt land any keepers but there are lots of unders out there.
I’ll take you up on that! Thanks

Heading out for the Derby tomorrow as well. Any tips or advice for guys new to the area? My grandpa fished out of there but he's long passed and can't give advice.

Not looking to take any special spots!

One under size to the boat today at Fairfax. All the bait was super deep (160+) on the south side of the point.

Asked a couple guys coming in if there was success and they just shook their heads.

Good luck in the derby all!

Lots of small fish at Fairfax today. Lost a decent one, released a bunch. Sandlance on the deep side saw most of the action.

Fished in the Inlet derby today. Dropped in at Wain rock by 7:15....solid hit at 7:20 but came off. Dropped back down to 41ft another solid hit...a good fight and a couple solid runs ended up in the net 13.5lbs. A few more 3-5 lb fish released then went quiet for me after 10:30. Ended up in tied for 1st and won the earliest fish tiebreaker.

Four fish over 10 lbs and roughly 18 fish weighed in. Great weather and a good time had by all.

AP sandlance did the damage again.IMG_0654~2.jpg

Way to go Mark! Great weekend for the Mill Bay derby too with the tides running the way they are elsewhere. You seem to pull some beauties out from Wain Rock, Im curious what your tack looks like!

Back