2018 Sidney Reports

Hopefully some Coho! I contacted DFO to confirm the opening, unfortunately I won’t be able to go there Monday. Still irks me that at the very least DFO could have made it a Spring nonretention area if that was their concern, but instead made it a fin fish closure because apparently people trolling make more noise than ferries,tankers,bulk carriers and whale watchers. Not too many Menza candidates in the DFO hierarchy.

Thanks for confirming with DFO, I was considering doing the same. I'm going to try to make it out, work-dependant.

I totally agree. The finfish closure (versus no chinook retention) doesn't make much sense. Have you seen this talk by Dr. Andrew Trites? It focuses on the facts about the SRKW's, which I think get pretty obfuscated in the media.

Yes I have. Problem is though once the misinformation train starts it’s nearly impossible to stop. Have written both the local MP and MLA about the BS being spouted, May wrote back, Olsen still hasn’t replied even though I’ve followed up twice. I guess even if they agree, which May did re just closing for Springs, neither wants to risk the hard core Green vote.

It’s pretty clear that the organized enviro campaign has grabbed the headlines and local politicians are afraid of alienating them. The enviros are so good at threatening to block vote these guys out of office, recreational fishermen not so much. I consider both of these individuals lack of concern a major factor in how I vote.

Yes I have. Problem is though once the misinformation train starts it’s nearly impossible to stop. Have written both the local MP and MLA about the BS being spouted, May wrote back, Olsen still hasn’t replied even though I’ve followed up twice. I guess even if they agree, which May did re just closing for Springs, neither wants to risk the hard core Green vote.

It’s pretty clear that the organized enviro campaign has grabbed the headlines and local politicians are afraid of alienating them. The enviros are so good at threatening to block vote these guys out of office, recreational fishermen not so much. I consider both of these individuals lack of concern a major factor in how I vote.

I wrote to Olsen, May, Fursteau, MacGregor, Finn Donnolly, LeBlanc, and Trudeau. The only one who actually replied back with comments other than "Thank you for your letter" was Allister MacGreggor

Thanks for confirming with DFO, I was considering doing the same. I'm going to try to make it out, work-dependant.

I totally agree. The finfish closure (versus no chinook retention) doesn't make much sense. Have you seen this talk by Dr. Andrew Trites? It focuses on the facts about the SRKW's, which I think get pretty obfuscated in the media.
Wrong thread for me to go off on a tangent about the SKRW but I am astounded that this video hasn't gotten more notice. Not many views or comments. Everyone on the forum should take a look at this. More importantly, DFO needs to look at this. Very illuminating and further validation that the "solutions" imposed on the sports fishing industry are not only the wrong solutions but may very well be a solution where there isn't really a problem.

Took advantage of the great weather and tides to do a trolling circumnavigation of Sidney Island. No action through Sidney channel and only a little bait showing. Headed over to Hamley, did a couple of passes than tried out further into the Straits to see if I could find a Coho. No Luck other than a couple of undersized Springs. Carried on outside of Halibut and Mandarte, but no joy. Beautiful day out there and taking advantage of the tidal current was awesome, only used the main when I got to the Spit for the run home.

Just a heads up, Tulista launch is closed until October 15th... Big rowing tournament. I guess giving them elk lake isn’t enough :(

Stizzla, it is not the type of event you would hold at elk lake. You will not lose any gear this weekend..come down to oak Bay...

Stizzla, it is not the type of event you would hold at elk lake. You will not lose any gear this weekend..come down to oak Bay...
Yeah pretty grand to say the least. Many countries represented. Those people are in good shape!

No reports? Lots of boats out yesterday. I tried cherry pt to hatch point trolling for coho, no luck. Tons of coho jumping in shallow off cherry point. Pulled into 3’-4’ of water and got the casting rods out and hooked into a beauty on a small zinger. Lost it after a couple of good runs. Apart from that seemed pretty quiet. Saw a few fish weighed in at the derby. 13lb chum was the winner.

Fished Satellite Channel today From Arbutus Island Area up to the Cowichan Bay then back along Salt Spring. Saw a couple of jumpers near the Freighter anchorage but not a sniff for us.

Fished Pender Friday morning, 2 chinook shakers and nothing else. Hamley in the afternoon and nothing but fog.

Anyone catching anything around here? I picked up a small 8lb winter spring off Power Wharf last week, but nothing since after a couple more outings. I've heard rumblings that Hamley is producing a bit lately, but unverified.

Not a fishing report. That will come on Saturday.

I was just wondering if any of you went with your families to the treat street in Sidney tonight. I know Nolan did, he looked dangerous!
If you did you might have seen me: I was the hulk and my best friend happened to go as Batman. I’m an idiot.
A088492C-44D9-469B-AB94-1DDC7EC2EF01.jpeg

Not a fishing report. That will come on Saturday.

I was just wondering if any of you went with your families to the treat street in Sidney tonight. I know Nolan did, he looked dangerous!
If you did you might have seen me: I was the hulk and my best friend happened to go as Batman. I’m an idiot.
View attachment 41250

Your cameraman is also upside down. Must have been a good day.

Last edited:
15BB386A-9BD5-4455-B9F8-BF9F9C552C19.jpegAfter all the wind warnings last night @Nolan and I still decided to battle the elements this morning.
A quick hop to hamley in his beautiful 2301 striper and we were there, going for the elusive 55 pounder. My rod went off first (barely) and I had a 7”er. Not a typo. Inches, not pounds.
He had a better hit. (A bit better) hat didn’t stick.
We then tried powered wharf where we tried trolling and jigging, but nothing too exciting happened there. I did Stizzla one of his nice jigs though:(
So the 55 pounder will wait until another day. But I sure did still enjoy this one. Thanks big guy!

Going out tomorrow morning. I will let you know how it goes... any intel?!

I was just about to text you... I hit sidney channel for an hour and half this afternoon and only got a few small lingcod.

Back