2018 Prince Rupert Fishing Report

A buddy just came back from Work Channel. Week long trip and only two salmon in the boat. Not great fishing at all.

Oly

We came back from South and fished around Eddy and Humpback a couple weeks ago and nothing for salmon. Pretty disappointing really.

Oly

Finished a three day trip to Work Channel on the weekend. Not terrible, but coho were pretty evasive. Caught limits of springs, and there were limits of chicken halibut to be had in the usual spots. All fish on anchovies or med herring in teaser heads.

Anyone know if it’s possible to get decent Salmon fishing in the Rupert area right now. My brother moved up there recently and wants to get out fishing. He’s fishing out of a 16 foot Lund so we needs to stay close to the harbour. Thanks RBL

Anyone know if it’s possible to get decent Salmon fishing in the Rupert area right now. My brother moved up there recently and wants to get out fishing. He’s fishing out of a 16 foot Lund so we needs to stay close to the harbour. Thanks RBL

Can’t help you with the fishing in Rupert right now but your brother needs to be very cautious with a 16’, pay close attention to the marine weather. Not a place to mess with, realize where you are especially this time of year as the weather can and will stir up in a hurry!

Can’t help you with the fishing in Rupert right now but your brother needs to be very cautious with a 16’, pay close attention to the marine weather. Not a place to mess with, realize where you are especially this time of year as the weather can and will stir up in a hurry!
RBL, A good friend of mine owns the meat shop there and says they are still seeing some Salmon come in and locals are doing okay.
Coho are still a bit elusive but around.
I’ve fished Rupert for many years and caught quite a few trolling along on the outside of Tugwell Island. This is a quick dash inside if the weather turns and the wind comes up.
Both Coho and Springs. If the weather is good then Lucy, Beaver Rock or Cutter Rock are still close enough to get to in a smaller boat and just monitor weather conditions. Safety first.

Got out for our first day this morning for a couple hours as we wanted a fresh dungy lunch. So we dropped the traps outside Port Ed and trolled along Smith Island while they soaked. Picked up a 7 lbs coho and a 15 lbs Spring in quick order. Coho on purple onion and lime hootchie at 50'. Spring at 30' on a green/silver flasher and army truck hootchie. Lots of small crab but got 5 keepers for lunch. Not sure if it was luck but didn't need to burn any gas running out to Edye pass or Squatterie to get into fish.

Back