2018 Powell River Reports

We'll be in a Livingston Viking 192, black soft top, with a 140 Suzuki on the back. Will watch for you on the rocks. Barring disaster & weather permitting, we'll be there a couple of hours before low slack.
Sure would be nice if there was a decent ramp between Westview & Saltery Bay! We live less than a mile from the hatchery.
Hey Hurtlocker... Let us know how you do, if you get to Lang Bay today.

Last edited:
We'll be in a Livingston Viking 192, black soft top, with a 140 Suzuki on the back. Will watch for you on the rocks. Barring disaster & weather permitting, we'll be there a couple of hours before low slack.
Sure would be nice if there was a decent ramp between Westview & Saltery Bay! We live less than a mile from the hatchery.
Hey Hurtlocker... Let us know how you do, if you get to Lang Bay today.

Tried to get up there today, nw picked up and I didn’t feel like banging the whole way so I stopped at Quarry to give it a shot.

We ran into the same issue. Started around 09:30 in a freshening westerly, so we stayed close to home. Wind died at around 10:45, so we headed down to Lang Bay. By the time we got there it was pretty sloppy again. About 18 - 20 knots. White caps everywhere.
Ran over into the lee of Texada & hit a really nice spring in front of Sturt Bay. Had a double header, but the other fish was a bit under. We just dragged him around while we landed the bigger one. Took us about 20 minutes & 3 netting attempts before we got the fish in the boat.
Amazing fight in that fish. Borrowed a scale at the ramp. Weighed in at a touch under 19 lbs.. Best so far, this year.
It was a wild white, fat & gorgeous!
No more keepers today, but quite a few undersize.
All but one small one caught on 5" herring in a bloody nose teaser. Lemon lime flasher.
We were cruising the 200' contour, as close to bottom as we dared.
I tried four different spoons on the other side & they were pretty much a waste of time. Herring all round, next time.
By the way... I retied all my teaser heads with single hooks last night. Every undersize we caught was released clean.
Last time out, I mangled two of six, getting the treble hooks out. Hard to feel good about that!

Not sure if Lund area reports fall here, closest I can see. Went out for 3 hours near Savary, mid day 11- 12. Caught 2 nice Spring, nothing huge, down deep around 150', both on the hookum. Also managed a decent haul of prawns, surprised to do so well in only 3 hour soak.

Anyone else on here fish up this way? Will be here for a few more days, and made a couple trips here this summer.

I was out at Mace Point today around noon. Picked up a nice mid-teener and a couple undersized (23.5” ugh). 190’ on the rigger with Purple Haze flasher and and hootchie combo. Also have been getting a ton of prawn out front of the sandbanks off Savary.

I was out at Mace Point today around noon. Picked up a nice mid-teener and a couple undersized (23.5” ugh). 190’ on the rigger with Purple Haze flasher and and hootchie combo. Also have been getting a ton of prawn out front of the sandbanks off Savary.
How deep do you go for the prawns?

I was down around 375 for our prawns, same general area, worked well.

Fished 2 more days in the area, again off Savary yesterday, skunked, very little action. 2 other boats fishing in area, saw one netted.

Today tried up in Bakers pass, 8-11, had at least 4 undersized spring to the boat and released.

Thats it for us up here for now, gotta get the kids back to school.

Back