2018 Port Renfrew Reports

pot calling the kettle black much? you and your pals babble on and on like this is your own personal chat room. cut plug this cut plug that blah blah. this is a REPORTS thread.
Yo Riverboy i don't see much of a report coming from you, it is a cutplug report when i post, maybe try it sometimes, apparently it works. I have fished Renfrew for 30 years and don't mind helping with a report or two!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yo Riverboy i don't see much of a report coming from you, it is a cutplug report when i post, maybe try it sometimes, apparently it works. I have fished Renfrew for 30 years and don't mind helping with a report or two!!
Still one of the truest forms of saltwater salmon fishing in my humble opinion. My favorite lodges to fish still haven't gone over to "the dark side"! Only other method that rivals it is mooching live herring with 2oz banana weights like we used to do up in Pender Harbour in the good old days!

Still one of the truest forms of saltwater salmon fishing in my humble opinion. My favorite lodges to fish still haven't gone over to "the dark side"! Only other method that rivals it is mooching live herring with 2oz banana weights like we used to do up in Pender Harbour in the good old days!
Cut my teeth live mooching in active pass, man those were some fun times, would like to try that at Renfrew but the lack of bait is an issue, good luck with the rest of your season

Cut my teeth live mooching in active pass, man those were some fun times, would like to try that at Renfrew but the lack of bait is an issue, good luck with the rest of your season
thanks Mr. Jackel, Yeah getting one's hands on live herring these days is pretty tough especially in the areas you want to fish!
One of the lodges I fish only does cut plugging for Springs and later fly fishing for Coho. the regular drill is to get up at 4am and go out and jig a day's worth of freshies. When there's other boats fishing our areas we usually out fish them about 5 to 1 using fresh cut plug herring to their frozen "TV dinners". If there's one thing I have learned over the years is to always pack a medium spinning outfit and some herring jigs as using fresh herring always gives me the edge. It has turned what would have been a mediocre trip to something spectacular on more than one occasion.

Still lots of people doing it on the sunshine coast, can still get live bait at Buccaneer bay marina, they still have a licence to get live bait. So more much more fun than trolling, when you get a 20lb. fish on you know you have a fish on.

I also fished Active as well as Porlier pass in the 80's

All good boys have fun and be safe

index.php

Used to fish the back side kelp beds of Separation Point in Cowichan Bay with cut-plugs and hammer springs!!! Caught my first spring at camper creek on a cut-plug, oh times have sure changed.

Back