2018 Port Hardy Reports

Like what. Please do inform us.

Oly
Inform you on what is illegal about using edible parts of fish or using whole fish as bait? Salmon bellies are completely fine in my opinion as bait whole rockfish and half of a salmon which you can almost guarantee the rest was not used for table fare is not there isn’t even any bone or belly meat in a couple of the shots they have

Inform you on what is illegal about using edible parts of fish or using whole fish as bait? Salmon bellies are completely fine in my opinion as bait whole rockfish and half of a salmon which you can almost guarantee the rest was not used for table fare is not there isn’t even any bone or belly meat in a couple of the shots they have
Please change your name to “Buzzkill”

Was at QCL last summer. They were no longer allowed to use salmon bellies as it was wasting an edible part of the salmon.
Not sure if the regs change in different areas .

Was at QCL last summer. They were no longer allowed to use salmon bellies as it was wasting an edible part of the salmon.
Not sure if the regs change in different areas .
That's because they received a couple hefty fines for keeping illegal halibut and salmon so DFO was keeping a close eye on them. They were told that having salmon bellies on board their boats was like having a whole salmon and was part of there daily limit. I'm sure most dfo officers would take a blind eye but not the ones up there.

So your okay with some poaching or your okay with all poaching? What a stupid ******* comment!
Chill out guy. I mean you’re acting like you’re the police, trying to save the world, one “questionable bait” at a time. It’s not your business if it meets regulations or not.
I think fishdoc is a respectable guy and he’s a damn good fisherman. I thought the video was legit.
Let it go.

Last edited:
Got to agree with Stizzla. If you see that someone PERHAPS has done something wrong, maybe a PM to the fisherperson is a better way to point something out.
Myself, I always enjoy Fishdoc videos and appreciate the time he spends with family and hope he continues.

Got to agree with Stizzla. If you see that someone PERHAPS has done something wrong, maybe a PM to the fisherperson is a better way to point something out.
Myself, I always enjoy Fishdoc videos and appreciate the time he spends with family and hope he continues.
Ya should have gone about it differently that is my bad I apologize for that
About stizzlas comment it’s not my business if it’s legal or not it absolutely is everyone’s business to report and comment on illegal activity
Either way this isn’t the thread for this

Thanks for all the comments guys... I'm learning that maybe I've learned a lot of not so legal things from watching what guides and other people are doing in fishing videos and so on. I know the regulations, but they aren't the most detailed or clear... and maybe my interpretation is not correct so I really appreciate all the feedback as it is never my intention to poach. I see a lot of people use parts of salmon for fishing. If you watch how they fillet salmon commercially they always cut off the belly and discard it. I think you could probably argue that it has the highest level of mercury and other contaminants and shouldn't be eaten. But I usually keep all of the bellies and smoke them anyways, haha. But its usually the pectoral fins and pelvic area fins that I'm using for bait. One thing that was brought up that I never thought about is the whole counting the bait as a whole salmon towards a possession limit. Now I'm going to have to be careful with that. I'll have to keep more of my fresh water fish skins since I've done that before and it worked well. They seemed to like walleye skin up there before. Then I won't have to worry about any legal issues.

Once again thanks for all the comments, like I said never thought salmon bellies was a problem as I consider it fish offal. I mean I give the salmon heads to my Asian friends at work... so thats an edible part. Maybe they need to make it a little more specific. As you see the Winter Harbor guides were using the salmon bellies in the video I posted with the Procure scent guys.

Haha @bryce I gotta give credit. You call em as you see em!
And you are right, I have been known to make stupid butt comments.
You’re all right. I’d buy you a beer if I ran into you.
Peace

Cleaned this one up. Some education on how to comment on activity that may not be best practice or illegal accepted by bryce and the activity in question acknowledged by Fish Doc. Have to agree with the Doc that it is not always easy to clearly understand some of the regs, and they do change over time, but I am happy to comply when I know I have been doing something wrong. The education piece can be very helpful if it isn't presented in a way that belittles the OP and comes across in an angry or condescending tone.

Brian

The DFO turds I dealt with Said "I'm not a biologist, Tell it to the judge." So I told a lawyer first. Well worth it. Some of those cowboys are perfect A-holes.

Oh...and I forgot to mention in my last post, this is a reports thread so let's stick to the topic. :)

Back