2018 Port Hardy Reports

Cam anyone point me in the general direction for some bottom fishing in hardy ? My last night here I wanna try for hali In the morning and I don’t know the area at all we did alright right for salmon yesterday landed 3 coho 1 spring and missed 5 good springs ... today was 2 for 3 on springs

Hey guys, I'm going up to Port hardy for the first time in about a week.. can anyone point me to the right direction in terms of salmon fishing there? like the general area to try, depth, setup etc? Would really appreciate it. a PM would be just as much appreciated. Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm going up to Port hardy for the first time in about a week.. can anyone point me to the right direction in terms of salmon fishing there? like the general area to try, depth, setup etc? Would really appreciate it. a PM would be just as much appreciated. Thanks!
Duvall pt., Daphne Pt, Castle Pt, Masterman Islands, Gordon Islands. Any of these spots hold fish and fisherman! Anchovies, spoons, squid all work if the fish are in. Coho all depths, pinks the same. Springs 30 to 80 ft if you happen upon a pod of them. The spring fishing will start to slow down by then but you can definitely have a shot at a hawg if your in the right place, right time.

Duvall pt., Daphne Pt, Castle Pt, Masterman Islands, Gordon Islands. Any of these spots hold fish and fisherman! Anchovies, spoons, squid all work if the fish are in. Coho all depths, pinks the same. Springs 30 to 80 ft if you happen upon a pod of them. The spring fishing will start to slow down by then but you can definitely have a shot at a hawg if your in the right place, right time.

Thanks man, you're the best.

Also, is there any halibut up in Port Hardy in August?

Thanks man, you're the best.

Also, is there any halibut up in Port Hardy in August?
There are some, but you have to have the right tides, and im not privy to any local holes near hardy other than what you can find on this forum doing a search. You could pick up a hali trolling on bottom out at cape sutil(long run and need a decent size boat)

Hi I've been Hardy for just over a week and spent just about 4 full days on the water only managed two springs at duval one 20 and other 22 on anchovies at 100ft. Ran to Cape sutil tried for hali and no love... Wondering if anybody could point me in the right location for some Hali and ling... Thanks kindly for your help.. .

Hi all, well our ten day vacation to port Hardy was excellent the fishing I couldn't say the same about.... We spent 5 days on the water out of ten and found two springs, no halis, one sockeye, one huge ling and a few rockfish. ... We went to many areas but didn't chase the guides we perhaps that may have helped only I haven't seen them bring in many springs either so a trip to Cape caution and beyond isn't worth it for me.... We did try pine island and nawhatti bar with no success... But heard winter harbour was doing good.... Heading to ukee this Sunday / Monday and I'm sure I'll have a better report for that thread....

Hey guys, I'm really struggling to catch salmon in Port Hardy. Is it something I'm doing wrong? Maybe wrong spot? I tried Duval and Masterman to no avail, also saw barely any boats out, although it may have been the winds keeping them off the water. I have been trolling 40-80feet with flasher and anchovy but skunked almost every time. Any advice?

Try Duval again on the tide changes. Off the tip of the Gordon Group on the flood tide. Work Daphne on the ebb tide.

I realize I get blasted when I post pics or video catching big lingcod. So if you don't want to see it warning this is not for you. This video is from mid August with my uncle. His first time fishing on the ocean. I understand some won't agree with eating such fish, but these were the first two we caught and kept to avoid unnecessarily catching rockfish.

Big Lingcod Fishing in a Small Craft with glow jigs tipped with Salmon belly. These fish are some of my favorite to pursue as they will hold on structure and if you drop your jig in the right spot it won't take long at all for one of these massive fish to grab on. They put up an excellent battle often pulling tight drag without much difficulty. Tried to hand the second one off to my uncle but he said after watching me work the first one he'd pass and save what was left of his shoulder for salmon. I guess all the more workout for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZR...0L_Xe6TNXK4WhGHYAgL4VFeLHf-i9BEhGOIrLzmAGdDRw

I realize I get blasted when I post pics or video catching big lingcod. So if you don't want to see it warning this is not for you. This video is from mid August with my uncle. His first time fishing on the ocean. I understand some won't agree with eating such fish, but these were the first two we caught and kept to avoid unnecessarily catching rockfish.

Big Lingcod Fishing in a Small Craft with glow jigs tipped with Salmon belly. These fish are some of my favorite to pursue as they will hold on structure and if you drop your jig in the right spot it won't take long at all for one of these massive fish to grab on. They put up an excellent battle often pulling tight drag without much difficulty. Tried to hand the second one off to my uncle but he said after watching me work the first one he'd pass and save what was left of his shoulder for salmon. I guess all the more workout for me.

Awesome!

Had a great week in August. Last two days of the trip the socks showed in epic numbers.

Last edited:
Assuming you caught those two lingcod on separate days given the daily limit in Area 12 is one per day? Would advise you make that clear on your posted video as DFO has been known to use folks social media posts as evidence when it depicts illegal activity... (I realize two of you in the boat but, same guy on the rod makes both fish his by letter of the law).

Assuming all things were good and legal, love seeing great video like this of my favourite BC saltwater species!

Cheers!

Ukee

Assuming you caught those two lingcod on separate days given the daily limit in Area 12 is one per day? Would advise you make that clear on your posted video as DFO has been known to use folks social media posts as evidence when it depicts illegal activity... (I realize two of you in the boat but, same guy on the rod makes both fish his by letter of the law).

Assuming all things were good and legal, love seeing great video like this of my favourite BC saltwater species!

Cheers!

Ukee
Thanks for the heads up. So now I'm wondering how much reeling by one person is needed to constitute a catch? I know guides set the gear up, release, set hook, reel up drag and pass rod over then the guest reels it in. So who actually caught the fish? This all seems is a little fishy to me. Maybe I'll just call for clarification, thanks again. I'm guessing you are absolutely right even though I couldn't really find any info in regs about this. Just that you can use as many rods as you want if everyone on the boat is licensed.

Addendum - I was going to say I've seen this done on fishing shows before and on charter boat videos but I wanted to find one first to demonstrate.

In this video Phil is depicted catching two halibut in the 90 - 133 cm that get dragged over board and put into the well. This was 2014 when the limits were:
- The maximum length for halibut is 133cm.
- The daily limit for halibut is two (2).
- The possession limit for halibut is two (2), only one of which may be greater
than 90cm in length.

I'd like to hear your comments. This was only the second video I watched to see if I could find it and it didn't take long at all.

Last edited:
It’s a gray area, legally it has more to do with when the possession took place.

I know of a case where a judge ruled a guide took possession of the fish when they netted the fish. And charged the guide with retaining the fish. I think the judge wanted to stick the charge to the guide rather then the Clint tho in this case.

You obviously don’t take possession just because it’s on your line other wise every time you caught and released a fish you would possess it.

DFO typically only change people when they possess more then double there daily limit( ie more then your possession limit)

To get you for catching more then your daily limit they have to prove continuity. They have to see you and document you caching more the your daily limit.

It’s all rather irrelevant as you have to Mark lings on your licence and I’m sure you did not mark two for the same day.

Also the video is clearly edited there is a big cut out section before the first and second fish.

What officers typically do in the case of say where someone retains say a fish for their 2 year old kid they typically shame the F out of that person or Atlest any good officer would.

That being said you should reel in and retain your own fish it’s the right thing to do.
Unless the new prawning rules come to effect. Then my 1 year old baby gets her 100!

On a serious note... Great vid @FishDoc
Your reports are awesome!

Back