2018 Pender Bluffs

Phffft. Tell DFO you thought you were in Sooke! Use their wonderfully accurate map as proof! Lol

Thought I'd try "opening day" at the bluffs. Fished 10 - 1pm with approx 8 other boats. I saw 3 fish caught - I figured random springs. There was virtually nothing marking the entire time - bait or fish. I did have to release 2 shakers. It has been 3 years since I last landed a coho here...

Thought I'd try "opening day" at the bluffs. Fished 10 - 1pm with approx 8 other boats. I saw 3 fish caught - I figured random springs. There was virtually nothing marking the entire time - bait or fish. I did have to release 2 shakers. It has been 3 years since I last landed a coho here...

We were out there also, and landed two hatchery coho- 10lbs, and 5lbs. We had a few others on briefly as well, and one really nice one spooling out line against a tight drag for several minutes... sadly, we never got a look at her. It was sure nice to get back out there!

We were out there also, and landed two hatchery coho- 10lbs, and 5lbs. We had a few others on briefly as well, and one really nice one spooling out line against a tight drag for several minutes... sadly, we never got a look at her. It was sure nice to get back out there!
Were you in tight or far out? I'm itching to get back there this weekend!

Decided on trying a run to Pender this morning with Rogerson Crusoe in my tub. I Just had to get back to my favourite fishing spot!
We launched, then dropped the crab traps. We hit some rough water on the way so we gave Fairfax a go for a couple laps. Nothing exciting happened there, Just a couple of borderline geniuses trying to figure out the meaning of life.
Once we decided on packing up and going to pender we were met with an intense set of big waves just past the point. After we got through that, we were rewarded with pretty good seas for the last bit of travel and Pender was nice.
Unfortunately did not get any fishy action here either. A shout out to @MikeM for literally throwing me a couple of anchovies as I left mine in the fridge at home.
Happy ending was the crab trap had 3 nice keeper Dungeness for us and a big red rock to give to the neighbour. All in all a fun time and I heard some success on the radio, but they had to put in the time and work for it.

Saw a few boats out at the bluffs today anyone having luck?

We spent another full day out there yesterday, and still saw some action but it seemed the fish were a little smaller and fewer than we saw on monday and wednesday.
Had a half dozen fish on, but only boated one 5lb hatchery coho and one 19" baby chinook.
Seemed to be losing fish just as the flasher broke surface, wondering if we should have been slowing down to avoid ripping lips?
Anyway, it another beautiful day to be back at the bluffs!

p.s. Nice catch on those anchovies @Stizzla! Sorry to hear they didn't work ;-D

Out yesterday for couple of hours ,lost one and had a couple of shakers. 100ft with choviy on one side andrew P on the other. Didn't notice anybody else catching much.

Did a 5 hour shift off of the bluffs from 9:30 - 2:30. Running 3 lines, tried all depths, bait, plastic, and spoons. No bites. There was a group of 6-7 boats but didn't see anyone catching fish or waving a net around. Very little showing on the sounder.

Did a 5 hour shift off of the bluffs from 9:30 - 2:30. Running 3 lines, tried all depths, bait, plastic, and spoons. No bites. There was a group of 6-7 boats but didn't see anyone catching fish or waving a net around. Very little showing on the sounder.
I was out yesterday( Saturday) marked lots of bait and managed to pick up one good sized Coho at 150’ on the Rigger. I was fairly close in to the shoreline, but as you’re aware it drops off pretty quick. Deeper than I expected a Coho to be, I was thinking more like 85-120’ being normal in past years with a few up shallower. Did you try running a deep line?Also saw a few nets out and one boat in particular was dialed in. Not sure what depth he was fishing but I tried shallow deep and everything in between but still only the one fish.

Out today from 10 - 2pm. A bit more marking and bait since last time. After 3 hours I finally had a hit. Played it for a couple of minutes when it took a big run... Up came the seal with my fish... I battled them for another minute when the flasher broke in half - how did that happen??? It was one of those hollow flashers with reflective in the middle. One other hit that didn't stick. 3-4 other boats out as well. Didn't see any nets.

I’m gonna head back to the bluffs tomorrow. Any tips on what i should use and how deep? Close to the rocks or further out? I’m aching to have a productive day!

We were seeing most fish on the sounder at 150' plus. Per ziggy's report, it seemed that deep is where they were. Seems counterintuitive for Coho. Most of the boats were working the outflow area, north of the north white rock face, within 300 yards of shore. I was targeting offshore (based upon good results in previous years) and had zero results.
So, do the opposite of what I was doing. Obviously the Coho didn't get the memo that they are supposed to be shallow and offshore :) Good luck.

We were seeing most fish on the sounder at 150' plus. Per ziggy's report, it seemed that deep is where they were. Seems counterintuitive for Coho. Most of the boats were working the outflow area, north of the north white rock face, within 300 yards of shore. I was targeting offshore (based upon good results in previous years) and had zero results.
So, do the opposite of what I was doing. Obviously the Coho didn't get the memo that they are supposed to be shallow and offshore :) Good luck.
Seems like the same in Sooke. 100-150 feet seems to most productive. weird year for me so far

Went to the bluffs on a rediculously beautiful calm day today from 9:30-1. One hit one landed. Beautiful 11lb female wild coho. My biggest to date And the first coho to hit the deck on my boat! It fought hard for a minute and then I dragged it across the surface for 75 feet or more and it didn’t move until it was in the net. Very strange fight!
Winning combo double sided gold with purple blade and a white jizzy looking hoochie. The hoochie was A gift from @RogersonCrusoe. It was an amazing day on the water!
0C9FD779-D1F4-4CF9-8E30-B3D982045278.jpeg 6F9E23D2-29F8-4AF7-B4E1-26AA2FB14EE0.jpeg

Last edited:
That is a nice fish! I’m confused about the regs...again! I’d like to try Pender Bluffs this weekend, but I looked at the regs and it looks like area 18 is still no-go for wilds? Not sure why it would be different than 19 and 20. But it wouldn’t be the first time I didn’t read the regs correctly, or the regs were not up to date!

Back