2018 OFFICIAL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Discussion in '2018 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by fishin_magician, Dec 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicnat

nicnat Active Member

it's the bead chains on his sockeye hootchies scarin the fish away, lol

eriks, Nitroholic, Dogbreath and 4 others like this.
  2. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

There isn't anything posted on this forum that's sockeye related that I haven't tried.

3. Alex_c

Alex_c Active Member

I douse all my shit in anchovy oil to cover any weird scents, 15' from flasher to clip, 5' between dummies and 10' to the bottom rod and 15' to the top rod on the downrigger cable. I'm using full glow cop car dummies and green flashers on my line. 40 lb mono on all my hoochies. So far if other people have been catching fish I do too. It could have more to do with luck than skill on my end.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Killeraye and Rain City like this.
  4. Captain PartyMarty

Captain PartyMarty Well-Known Member

I agree you might just be unlucky. We went hours yesterday with no hits then all of sudden the bite was on and shit went crazy then as fast as it started the action was over. I think it has a lot to do with right time and place and bit of luck.

Killeraye and Rain City like this.
  5. BCRingo

BCRingo Well-Known Member

Do you mark those schools on your sounder? Don’t waste gas if you are not spotting them in numbers.

Rain City likes this.
  6. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Well-Known Member

His sonar dont mark fish lol.

Rain City likes this.
  7. Killeraye

Killeraye Active Member

Changed your zincs lately?
    You could also have some stray voltage affecting the bite?

8. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Zincs changed and I run braid so shouldnt be an issue?

9. Normfish

Normfish Well-Known Member

I found if I eat Frosted Flakes for breakfast, the fish bite better. I didn't have any yesterday as I ran out.
    Like most have said , right spot right time, if your there your laughing.
    The guys running all the Kone Zones , 3 dummy flashers, I bet they do get those inbetween fish when the bites not on, but when its on , even I catch fish .
    Keep at it Rainy, your day will come.

BarryA, Stizzla, fishizzle and 3 others like this.
  10. Ian wagner

Ian wagner Active Member

If boats are catching all around you it probably your speed or direction is off lots of times we pick up and run back to troll over the schools going with the tide it's been very slow out there for most of the day because of big tides and as soon as you go in it's on

Rain City likes this.
  11. Tockeyetalmon

Tockeyetalmon Active Member

If your above fish or see fish jumping around u and u believe your in them. Make some sudden turns and or speed increases/decreases to trigger a bite.

getbent and Nitroholic like this.
  12. I see a regulation saying using more than one line is prohibited in the tidal waters of the Fraser. Does that mean only one pole per person?

13. Capilano

Capilano Active Member

14. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Well-Known Member

Some days I see a well known charter operator go waaay into the river running 4 rods. Repeat offender

15. Go.Fish

Go.Fish Active Member

Koodos to the guys who braved the chop out there today. We were getting tossed around in a 26’ glass boat almost taking waves over the bow on the way out.
    Waiting patiently for the next window of opportunity
    Trolled fisheries area for a couple hours instead saw a fair bit of bait but couldn’t find any fish

BCRingo and Gator like this.
  16. nicnat

nicnat Active Member

how long are your hoochie leaders. try varying them a bit, 22- 30" and figure out what works best when you get into them. you may see 1 boat going super slow knocking them dead with 18-22 " leaders while another boat is knocking them dead with 30" leaders going 2x as fast. same success. I prefer mine a bit longer to troll a bit faster to cover more water looking for schools.

it also sounds like you may be spending a lot of time moving around rather than sticking it out in an area to figure out what works. also wash your flashers and hoochies in a bucket of soapy water (dish soap) after every trip. it can make a big difference. also offset and beak your hooks if possible, make sure they are sticky sharp

Killeraye, BCRingo and Pippen like this.
  17. Trayvreller

Trayvreller Active Member

Really? Why?

18. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Was going to ask guys about that. I have all sorts of scents from different times all over my gear. Can certain scents actually deter fish? I'm talking herring, anchovie, "salmon" scents not sunscreen.

nicnat likes this.
  19. Alex_c

Alex_c Active Member

I do this to keep the salt from eating them, didn't know there was a fishing advantage. Interested to hear the reasoning behind it

20. nicnat

nicnat Active Member

from doing sockeye charters years ago and being quite successful at it I found it made a huge difference at times. especially the years pinks were mixed in with them. I would keep a bucket of soapy water on the boat to clean the slime and other scents off the gear. if you are finding it slower than normal for yourself and others are doing well try washing the gear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.