2018 OFFICIAL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Discussion in '2018 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by fishin_magician, Dec 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chromie

chromie Member

Was out yesturday. The fish had the better end of the stick. Got 7 in boat and lost around 10. 450ft of water 90ft down.

Rain City likes this.
  2. iFish

iFish Member

Out Saturday, lines in at Sandheads at 0715, out in 500 feet of water west of the pack. First sock to the boat in about 10 minutes only to have it swim around back and cut the leader on the trim tab. Depth was 50 ~ 60, tried 90 for while, nothing there.
    Action was pretty steady, lots of hits (lost count of pin poppers) but for some reason they wouldn't stick for us. Found a school just when we had to leave, lost one and boxed one in 5 minutes. Unfortunately... had to leave them for the afternoon shift. Ended the day with 4 in the boat.
    *All blue - 3 dummies - glow head hoochies 32" leaders. Going to shorten some leaders for next trip.

Off to Bamfield for a week and a bit! Good luck with the sox guys. Hope they're still around when I get back.

Killeraye and Rain City like this.
  3. seatosky

seatosky Well-Known Member

6 in the boat now. 600’ of water. Not much for schools. Grinding.

Killeraye, Skins88, Rain City and 3 others like this.
  4. Wondermur

Wondermur Member

Nth arm flat water 4 in boat with gear at 50’ Green flasher, purple onion, and some uv purple as well. 5 single hits in 300-350 water between 6.30 and 7.30. Heading home as my buddy couldn’t come this am.

Skins88 and Rain City like this.
  5. colton snider

colton snider New Member

I’m heading out to Bamfield Thursday let me know how you make out

iFish likes this.
  6. ScapeBoat

ScapeBoat Active Member

Out at NA now, got one in the boat while setting the second side. Good way to start the day. 60' out in 500' water. Blue flasher.

Killeraye and Skins88 like this.
  7. Bait&Sea

Bait&Sea Active Member

Nice! On my way!

8. Pippen

Pippen Well-Known Member

‘‘Tis unfortunate but it would turn into a campground at Vanier. On any given day there are a dozen campers/vans parked on Kits Point with people who live in them. The city can’t do much or don’t do much despite many residents asking for something to be done. There is a truck camper that has been parked around the corner from my house for 2 weeks now in an area that is not permit or 2 hour parking.

Back to reports....sorry for the hijack. ;)

Killeraye and Skins88 like this.
  9. Teja

Teja Well-Known Member

A bit of a contrarian post. It was hard to believe how good the spring fishing was at Sandheads yesterday. The much better half and I pulled up the sockeye gear yesterday a.m. as I was getting just a wee bit frustrated (not sure what it says about distorted expectations during a sockeye opening when 3 sockeye is frustrating). We moved in a little tighter and dropped anchovies to 65 feet and immediately picked up a 20 lb marble and then 13 lb red that was bright chrome with the brilliant blue and purple back of a prime winter spring (such a beautiful fish). We then stopped with the anchovies and put the sockeye gear back out in the same area and in short order hit another couple sockeye, carefully released a spring between 23 to 25 lbs (yes, the fish wasn't touched by either a net or a hand), and got hammered by a 30lb plus freight train that gave me the rush of the day before very thankfully spitting the hooks at which point we pulled the lines up and headed home, I with a very large smile on my face.

Stizzla, Aphros, Trayvreller and 16 others like this.
  10. tubber

tubber Well-Known Member

Fished Friday from 4:30-8pm at Sandheads from #2 road launch and Sat 8-11:00am at NA from Vanier.
    Launching, retrieving and parking was good at both. Thanks to those who PM'd. Fishing was slow, then triples and doubles, then slow again. Definitely less schools than 4 years ago, but I didn't have time to find them either. Fun times with the wife, then the kid. Looked like some solo big springs outside the SH green can at 120'. Sockeye fever and time kept me from trying down there. Rain City, my elite 5 works pretty well.
    Might come back Sept 7. I had scent, binoculars, and a 5th rod ready to sub in, but failed to use any of those when I should have. Senile. Next time.

Killeraye and Rain City like this.
  11. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

It's funny that you say that. My friends and I had to take a minute to remember how lucky we were yesterday to have 8 fish! But it's the damn social media effect of having to limit for every guy on board. Or maybe it's the skunk days that made me want some redemption. Scary though how quickly you can go down that greed hole and forget how lucky we are.

As for the reports, Tiger shit the bed and my coffee is cold. I think I'll move to the kitchen and make a brine.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    iFish, Canso, Killeraye and 3 others like this.
  12. Killeraye

Killeraye Active Member

Oh god, not more cryptic reports. :cool:
    Lyrics to a song? I don’t know

ScapeBoat and Rain City like this.
  13. ScapeBoat

ScapeBoat Active Member

My son and I finished the day with 6 big sockeye and we are more than happy about it. Sure we could have kept two more but 6 is enough. We also put back a big 9 or 10lb sockeye that had turned already. Fishing NA, 600' and 60' down.

We also hooked into 5 small spring about 8" in size.

Killeraye, Canso and Rain City like this.
  14. fishin_magician

fishin_magician Well-Known Member

So how about the whale watching boats all well inside the 200 metre limit this morning chasing the small pod of whales all the way out the harbour and herding them off the North Arm while DFO tells us we can’t keep more than one Chinook ? Some were inside 200 feet at one point.

What a crock of shit.

Wild Whales Vancouver
    Prince of Whales
    Steveston Seabreeze Adventures
    And another firm.

Bullshit!!!

Forgot to add:

I called the ORR line as DFO is the authority responsible for enforcing the 200 metre buffer.

If you see this, PLEASE report this stuff when it happens. If you check out these companies Instagram, Facebook Pages, and Twitter accounts they have plenty of pictures up since the new reg came into effect where they are in violation of the reg. Fancy lenses on cameras or not....it is clear....these whalewatchers are scofflaws.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    high tide, Aphros, ScapeBoat and 4 others like this.
  15. colton snider

colton snider New Member

8 in the box today definitely did not come easy out deep 500’ west of T10 got into some good schools I’d like to thank my blue jeans, blue flashers, and blue 9.9 Yamaha kicker for today’s success

nicnat, iFish, Killeraye and 4 others like this.
  16. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Oh my god I just realized my rods, reels and kicker are all blue too!! You're onto something here.

iFish, Killeraye and colton snider like this.
  17. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Well-Known Member

Bites on 20180826_145637-02.jpeg

18. Alex_c

Alex_c Active Member

I actually get more hits when my blues play list comes on, something to think about.

nicnat, Killeraye, rjs and 2 others like this.
  19. fisherboy

fisherboy Member

Fished north of sandheads in 550 ft, all by ourselves 6:30 til 8:00 went 12 for 13. Usual 3 dummy flasher/side hootchies at 77ft. Green flashers with pink hootchies.

el.Pereh and Rain City like this.
  20. tincan

tincan Well-Known Member

Where??? Just dropped in at sandheads and it's a dead zone at the moment. No shortage of boats however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.