Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I've been finding schools and marking them on the gps but by the time I turn around for another pass I've lost the school. On Tuesday trying to get our last two fish I started zig zagging very hard (180* each way) and not only did it help stay on the school, it seemed like I was getting way more bites (went 2 for 5 in about ten minutes). Might be something to try for those getting less bites or passing thru a school with no luck.
Maybe the school was following u and u didn't see them on the sounder, it happens.. I slow right down and start circling it usually helps me (especially smaller tight schools)

Anyone else get into fish today and have anything to report?

Curious if anyone else hooked a 20# white Chinook. We hit 3 in 10 mins. Kept 1.

Got a 17lb marbled spring on Tuesday at Sand Heads. Interesting meat... red tail, white in the belly area, bit of a mix the rest of it.

Hi folks, I have some questions. I live in the Okanagan but grew up in Richmond. If it was just me fishing, I'd launch at McDonald early and fish all day till I had 4. But I have guests who would prefer calm water, fast fishing, and convenient launching.
I've been looking at tides and reading about other launches.
I'm staying in Ladner, but my son and DIL live in Vancouver and need to be at Bard on the Beach by 2:00 on Saturday (I know).
Currently the plan is to fish Friday evening with my wife from a ladner launch and Sat am from Vanier. We could also go Sunday as well/instead.
Is Vanier useable at all tides? I understand Ladner is tricky.
What seems to be the best tide for fishing lately?
What does this have to do with fishin reports .. Maybe post in general

Hi Scalper66, I had never seen a googly eyed wild thing until I read your post. When I looked it up I see there are several different patterns of this. I'm just curious what pattern you are using? If you don't want to say then no problem.
Just the pink and white ones says for socks right on it

If the multi flasher strategy is to mimic another school of sockeye then it would make sense to have them look more like them cuz the fish really are blueish in color. But if the proof is in the pudding that all colours work equally as well then we really shouldn’t dwell.
I get them with chartreuse flashers but I have a blue and I’m going to use it too!

@fishin_magician, you mentioned in an earlier post that those blue flashers will become useful in another fishery. Which is that, if you don’t mind sharing?

@Killeraye , cold blue water, deep, winter or offshore fishery depending on where fishing. Around the Lower Strait and Vancouver, predominantly winter and early spring.

@tubber , Vanier is not usable on all tides. The West ramp angle is the only one for a medium to large size boat and 4 WD is advised despite the new surface. Not sure what you are using for a launch vehicle but getting in will be not problem early....hauling out will be will require waiting until evening if your rig is sizeable. I launched a 30’ Grady at the 5’ Point in the tide last week on a triple axle. Wouldnnot try hauling out at that level. Hauling out a 24’ at the 5’ tide level on the west ramp would be the minimum water required and you have to work quickly if the tide is dropping unless you wanted to get your tow vehicle wet. Stay on the cement stupid blocks at the bottom. Do not put your town vehicle in the sand.

When I launch and haul out there I plan ahead with the tide graphs from Point Atkinson if there’s going to be a possible issue.

C of V refused to spend the dollars to dredge out some and change the incline and extend by 30’ past the low water mark and copped out by saying environmental was not approved and budget would be exceeded. Believe there is a court case pending against someone involved somehow or one of them for failure to complete someone told me.

Got out early to south arm today. Ended up with 5 sock & one hatchery ho in the box. Had to work pretty hard, lost a bunch, all fish at 130-150 on rigger. didn’t get a sniff other than doggies after 1:30 until 4 when we packed it in. Green flash seemed to beat red.

@tubber , Vanier is not usable on all tides. The West ramp angle is the only one for a medium to large size boat and 4 WD is advised despite the new surface. Not sure what you are using for a launch vehicle but getting in will be not problem early....hauling out will be will require waiting until evening if your rig is sizeable. I launched a 30’ Grady at the 5’ Point in the tide last week on a triple axle. Wouldnnot try hauling out at that level. Hauling out a 24’ at the 5’ tide level on the west ramp would be the minimum water required and you have to work quickly if the tide is dropping unless you wanted to get your tow vehicle wet. Stay on the cement stupid blocks at the bottom. Do not put your town vehicle in the sand.

When I launch and haul out there I plan ahead with the tide graphs from Point Atkinson if there’s going to be a possible issue.

C of V refused to spend the dollars to dredge out some and change the incline and extend by 30’ past the low water mark and copped out by saying environmental was not approved and budget would be exceeded. Believe there is a court case pending against someone involved somehow or one of them for failure to complete someone told me.

Thank you. 17 foot old boat, new 4wd truck

Vanier is usable on any tide even the lowest of the year. Ya you might have to get your vehicle wet but if it's a 4wd who cares. Spray it off after with fresh water. The west launch is steeper so if low tide and you have a 4wd just put it in 4 low to pull out. No problem even on low tide.
Even on the lowest tide there's still end of the dock area to tie up to. If you have to back in deep with a 4wd keep the engine running so the exhaust doesn't plug with water. If you have a 2wd don't go on the sand.
Launch and pull out my 30' er there all the time, any tide, any time of day. But if you overstay you will get a parking ticket so be prepared to pay. No overnight parking but if you do they don't tow you they just ticket you.

Vanier at the lowest tide of last year. Still room at end of dock to pull out on the sand with 4wd...

VanierParkLaunch.jpg

Last edited:
Fished Sandhands solo from 2 to 6. Didn't think I was going to catch anything because I forgot my blue flashers at home. In the first hour I lost a few and landed one. Then it went dead for about an hour so I decided to change things up a bit by using dogers on one side. Well, that sure put a charge into things: non-stop gong show with serious crossed lines for the next two hours. Lost at least three right at the boat before I manged to get number 4 (easily the biggest of the day) to literally jump into the net. So now I'm wondering if maybe dogers are the new blue? ;)

PS: The fish were hitting hard in about 350 feet of water, north of lighthouse. Lots of trollers out.

Last edited:
Jeepers, I just threw my dodgers on the garage floor for future cleanup. Better go squeeze them back in before I come down in the morning.

Fished Sandhands solo from 2 to 6. Didn't think I was going to catch anything because I forgot my blue flashers at home. In the first hour I lost a few and landed one. Then it went dead for about an hour so I decided to change things up a bit by using dogers on one side. Well, that sure put a charge into things: non-stop gong show with serious crossed lines for the next two hours. Lost at least three right at the boat before I manged to get number 4 (easily the biggest of the day) to literally jump into the net. So now I'm wondering if maybe dogers are the new blue? ;)

PS: The fish were hitting hard in about 350 feet of water, north of lighthouse. Lots of trollers out.

I feel like I may of seen you out there. Were you running 4 rods? Saw a guy going solo and hit 3 fish pretty quickly and pack it in. We were out in the blue king Fisher. Landed 3 sockeye, lost 3 and landed a few undersized springs.

I have to go out of town next week for over a week. :(

Does anyone remember if the sox are still around in the second and third weeks of September in previous years?

I have to go out of town next week for over a week. :(

Does anyone remember if the sox are still around in the second and third weeks of September in previous years?
I’ve been fishing Sockeyes for around 20 years. There are always a few ugly stragglers around until mid Sept however the masses will typically head up river in the first rain storm after Labour Day.

if you overstay you will get a parking ticket so be prepared to pay. No overnight parking but if you do they don't tow you they just ticket you.

How much is the overstay fine and how much for the overnight fine?
Sometimes it’s just better to pay the fines than mess around with doing it the right way!?

Ugly out the south arm this morning. Took a couple over the bow close to the lightship in the 16 foot. Holed up in Steveston waiting for it to calm down
Ebb tide and a strong WNW wind = Standing Waves
Forecast is for calmer wind. Currently weather.gc.ca/marine shows Halibut Bank 12 gust 14 (wave .5 M) and Sandheads 11... in reality however?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back