2018 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Irish Coffee
the launch is excellent in gold river,they did some really nice upgrades which were way over due.I always pay to leave my truck/trailer in the first nations compound,Ive never had a problem been doing it for 15 years.The channel is basically a straight shot out to knootka sound and to critter cove.You do need to know a few things,the launch is best on a high tide,you can do it on a low tide but not an extreme low tide.the Channel that you ru out in gets really windy in the afternoon a lot like nimint in port alberni channel.so go in the morning or evening after the winds calm its like clock work trust me...

Tight Lines
Billydoo

I go up next wednesday for ten nights !!! looking forward to it big derby at moutchabay,hopefully we will win it again this year but there is a lot of great fisherman that fish in the derby lolol got to be lucky to be good.... Pay attention to small details.

Bird man the horseshoe is the east end of bajo two points that sick out look like the ends of a horseshoe.aprox 70 ft water but if you get to close to the reef it comes up to 10 ft instantly so better to ease into that tac.there is a wall that is west of the west point of the shoe that holds a lot of lead on it I know from slamming my balls into it in the learning years.just stay off those points out to the red whistle bouy, you'll be fine usually find springs on the bottom..good luck stay safe.lets hope the fishing will be as hot as the weather!!!

Tight lines
Billydoo

Thanks Greenhornet!

We are Planning our first ever trip to nootka (critter cove) in July. I have never launched out of gold river. Does anyone have any advice or report/issues on the launch and parking accommodations there. Looking at 3 to 5 day trip, 23 ft boat.
Thank you

Don’t launch with less than 3 feet. It’s gets a little tight with anything less than that. Be prepared in advance when you launch. It can be busy and folks can get a bit anxious. I always park inside. Never had an issue. The FN folks who manage the launch are always gracious. Nice people. I usually keep my leg up high till I get out past the float plane base as there are a few rocks scattered around. I’ve never hit one but I’ve talked to people who have. The new docks are great compared to years past, however, there isn’t really any traffic control so you go in out anyway you feel works. Personally I use the West side dock going out and east side when loading. It’s a steep launch which can cause some unique challenges with trailers because of the angle you load and off load. In my case my anchor pulpit gets very close to my trailer winch upright which can cause retrieval issues some times. Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:
Hi totally new to this site but it was recommended by a friend. I booked my first trip to Nootka sound for August 10-14. We are camping at moutcha bay resort I was told the road in isn't that bad is this true I only have a 20 foot bayliner trophy so was hoping to just drive in and launch any info would be greatly appreciated!

Hi totally new to this site but it was recommended by a friend. I booked my first trip to Nootka sound for August 10-14. We are camping at moutcha bay resort I was told the road in isn't that bad is this true I only have a 20 foot bayliner trophy so was hoping to just drive in and launch any info would be greatly appreciated!

The few times I’ve been the road to Moutcha has been ok, there where some washboard sections that made the ride a bit bumpy. But I never experienced anything that would make me second guess taking the road. Someone else with more experience may be able to chime in if they’ve experienced anything different.

Perfect thanks I know my dates are a bit past prime time but I was trying to plan it so that most my fishing can be done on the inside

sheesh how can i forget about keeping your leg up. i have first hand knowledge of the rocks by the plane dock. i usually putt out on my kicker to be safe

I've traveled that road a few times all the way to Tuta Marina. The main road is good except for some washboard as mentioned above. I turn off to Cougar creek and take the more "rustic" logging road in. I've pulled my 20' Aluminum in there a few times. As long as you go slow over bumpy areas your fine. People always talk about trailers get beat up... well slow down.. The only thing that is a pain is the dust. That road can be VERY dusty... I'm pulling in a center console 17' Welded next Friday.

Cheers, Rob

I will be fishing in Nootka the first week of August and staying at Bligh Island, can anyone tell me where to get crabs/prawns in that area?

Thanks

I will be fishing in Nootka the first week of August and staying at Bligh Island, can anyone tell me where to get crabs/prawns in that area?

Thanks
I would get them at the fish store in Campbell River. The inlet has been hit hard for prawns and pretty slim pickings. Crabs are also difficult to find but there are a few spots

View attachment 38396 Well, it’s day 2 of 90 out in Nootka. Salmon fishing was slow for the last 2 days. There was a half a dozen springs brought in today and a few Coho.

The bait seems to be everywhere from the Reef to the Light House but not many Springs.

Had a good day bottom fishing.

Wow, nice catch. How’s wind been off shore? Reports look good.

Back