2018 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Great trip camping on the west side May Long. We only fished for a total of 6 hours over the weekend so not really that great to gauge things. We couldn't find any salmon so loaded up on Ling instead. NO SHORTAGE of those around. The surfing was fun and cutthroat fishing was great, and of course had a blast with buddies. Saw wolves, bears and all the other wonders the island has to offer.

Thanks for posting reports.... I'm hoping to get over to Nootka June 23rd weekend for a few days. I was in Tofino for a week early May and found it slim pickings. There was a lot of long liners out cleaning up the bottom fish... caught a ton of under sized lings and only 3 hali between 7 of us.

R

k, I am referring to the in season changes/announcements that get made as we get closer to July 15 on WCVI surfline, sub areas, Bajo, Ferrer etc. once everyone is already committed to their trips (and they start getting some data of course :))

Fellas
A little birdie told me that ferrier will be open till aug 1 this year instead of july 15 hope the info is right,,,

Tight Lines
Billydoo

Nice. Wonder if that means other changes that normally happen July 15 will be delayed?

I hope so bajos horseshoe is definitely a gettem spot for some nice springs and hali !!! fingers crossed !!!

Fellas
A little birdie told me that ferrier will be open till aug 1 this year instead of july 15 hope the info is right,,,

Tight Lines
Billydoo
Not what i heard. Same as usual is what we were told. A real concern for us as a lot of Clayoquot sound fish get intercepted there. Some of our endangered Chinook rivers actually got some fish back this year.

Last edited:
Not what i heard. Same as usual is what we were told. A real concern for us as a lot of Clayoyoquot sound fish get intercepted there. Some of our endangered Chinook rivers actually got some fish back this year.
I know last year that Rodgers fishing lodge was sampling all of their fish that were caught at Ferrier to turn them into DFO for genetic sampling. That will help determine which fish were in the area at that time. Haven't heard any results yet?

I know last year that Rodgers fishing lodge was sampling all of their fish that were caught at Ferrier to turn them into DFO for genetic sampling. That will help determine which fish were in the area at that time. Haven't heard any results yet?
Unfortunately i couldn't attend our last area meeting but am looking to see the data myself.

I see DFO has the 2018 Coho Openings and other Closures maps now posted on the area 25/125 information page. I don't see anything about Chinook Openings yet by sub-area within 25/125. Is it too early? Not enough data thus far to decide on this? I thought normally early June its pretty much decided. Looks like coho is static much like last years restrictions.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/co-chq/25-co-eng.pdf

Back