2018 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Quite right on slow speed and dog fish but keep in mind the speed is only relevant to achieving the best flasher and bait action when trolling. Current will certainly affect that action apart from the s.o.g. It's like sitting in a river: just a little s.o.g. could provide good action.

Watching the angle for me is a just a quick, rough assessment of the speed that resulted in good action. For most gear 45 degrees works quite well.

I was discussing all of this (we were running 1.8 - 2.4 to keep the angle) when I read the Subscript line for Foxsea "Save wild salmon - can the D.F.O." - tee shirt from Pacific Net and Twine"

Actually laughed out loud!

Yes, angle dangle is important, but the variables like wind and current make it inaccurate. Trolling with, against or across the current, if the boat's in a turn, what size ball, lure, flasher, if there is a bunch of salad on the down rigger, braid or steel DR cable...

SOG is the only reliable measurement of speed IMO.

Yes, angle dangle is important, but the variables like wind and current make it inaccurate. Trolling with, against or across the current, if the boat's in a turn, what size ball, lure, flasher, if there is a bunch of salad on the down rigger, braid or steel DR cable...

SOG is the only reliable measurement of speed IMO.
SOG will change if you are going with or against current. You can have a SOG of 3.5mph and still have your balls straight up and down if you going with the current, or have them way out behind you trolling against it. I believe water speed is a better indicator. If you dont have a water speed wheel I would look at the angle of the dangle over SOG.

Was out yesterday morning and had 12 springs to the boat by 11Am. All were between 4 and 8 lbs. Lost one in high teens while attempting to net it (alone), ah well, sometimes the fish have to win.
Bonked a 12lb spring and called it a day. 80'-100' on green splatter hoochie and green/gold coyote spoon on the other side.
Repeat this morning, out before wind came up (5:45) and was finished by 6:30. Three springs to boat, 5lbs, 12lbs released, bonked 16lb fighter. Same gear and depths as the day before.
On another note, speed through water is what sets the action of your gear, speed over ground is irrelevant. Get a wheel for your sonar and be exact. Also, the deeper you fish, the more drag your gear develops, hence the angle will change. I personnaly find that up to 80 ft the 45deg angle works fine, after that , you need to adjust.

Tight Lines...

Managed a couple hours out this evening before retreating from the wind. Boxed 3 coho. Released a bunch of wild hoes and one undersized spring. At the humps....Irish creme and sardine spoon. Hooked a few on a 4in plug and well. Anywhere from 69ft to 160.

Was out yesterday morning and had 12 springs to the boat by 11Am. All were between 4 and 8 lbs.

Good fishing report, but let's just clarify if those fish were coho or chinook? Black gums and big sharp teeth, and a tail with spots top and bottom? Or white gums, smaller teeth, and a tail with spots only on the top half?

There's a LOT of coho being caught out front right now. Would hate to see a guy bonk a big wild coho thinking it was a chinook.

The fishing police is here.
I think he knows what a Chinook looks like. I don’t get why you go straight to accusing people of doing wrong with absolutely no evidence.
Why do I still click on show ignored content?!

Last edited:
Everyone else fishing out front is catching double digit coho in the 4-8lb range, with the odd chinook in the mix. So a report of 12 'springs' before 11am is suspect. It's easy to confuse a small chinook and a coho. I know I've had to double check myself before bonking hatchery coho, just to be certain.

My friends from the sunshine coast have been hitting that side of SoG and doing extremely well for chinook... according to their reports Id say its not entirely far fetched.

Everyone else fishing out front is catching double digit coho in the 4-8lb range, with the odd chinook in the mix. So a report of 12 'springs' before 11am is suspect. It's easy to confuse a small chinook and a coho. I know I've had to double check myself before bonking hatchery coho, just to be certain.

Odd Chinook? It’s been gangbusters for three months.

Good fishing report, but let's just clarify if those fish were coho or chinook? Black gums and big sharp teeth, and a tail with spots top and bottom? Or white gums, smaller teeth, and a tail with spots only on the top half?

There's a LOT of coho being caught out front right now. Would hate to see a guy bonk a big wild coho thinking it was a chinook.

Gee thanks Che, would have never figured that out without your help.
Been fishing the west coast since 1968 when my father introduced my brother and I to the wonders of Nootka Sound. Personally, I see no reason to bonk a coho this time of year as they are mostly runts. I prefer to wait for October on the west coast with light gear when they average 10lbs plus with occasional 17-20 lbers gracing the fish locker.

Out again this morning, same spot, running the same gear and depths. A bit slower today, had a young co-worker (21) along for his first ever salmon fishing experience. Fish averaged a bit smaller today with a few more Coho mixed in, one decent Coho at 5lbs, released. Fished until noon and had 19 fish to the boat, kept one 8lb Spring (wild), with the 1 fish per day rule, released 4 similar sized Springs in the hopes on finding a nicer fish for the young fella. Finally nailed one at 11:30, made three great runs, screaming reel connected solidly with young knuckles! Unfortunately it was not to be as the 15-20 knot SE winds and accompaning seas made handling the rod difficult for the young greenhorn. Still made for an awesome day on the water.

Tight Lines......

Just finished cleaning 3 nice fish - 2 springs (~ 14 and 20...and both white) a a hatchery coho ~ 5 lbs. Had a massive strike that never gave us a chance. Brought the rod in and the Skinny G was bent almost bent in half.

Anyways, two on the skinny G around 195 in 230 or so and one on a small cop car at 145 also at 230.

Back out this am to get in a morning fish for a change. Trolling back twos FC from the humps was great but tacking back up was quite lumpy. There has been discussion on other threads about in or out of gear when playing a fish. Without a doubt it was in gear today to prevent the wind from whipping the boat everywhere:).

We had good luck this time around on a Titan sardine (165 in 235 for a teen aged spring) and had great coho action a peetz lure that I just picked up.

Ended up with 2 hatchery, a spring and released many many many wild coho!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 11.04.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 11.04.07 AM.png
    35 KB · Views: 111
Back