2018 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Discussion in '2018 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Randy waugh

Randy waugh Member

I dropped off a head a couple of weeks ago at the French Creek Store I’ll post when I get an email back

lordofthesprings likes this.
  2. searun

searun Well-Known Member

Last few days have shown an interesting pattern. For example, Friday was good, Saturday was scratchy and loads of coho, and Sunday was back to good again. Fish on Saturday were empty stomachs and today they were stuffed. Willing to bet that Monday will slow down again, with the fish gorging on herring one day and taking a break the next. 4 inch coyote spoons at 177 feet was working for us.

Bruce Lee and Stizzla like this.
  3. Hab#9

Hab#9 New Member

I really enjoy the tips and information posted on this site and am very grateful to the contributors.
    Please let's not politics ruin it and just stick to the sport we are all fanatic about
    Thanks

lordofthesprings and wildmanyeah like this.
  4. searun

searun Well-Known Member

I consider myself reprimanded, bad boy. End, full stop.

5. Aces

Aces Well-Known Member

Politics are driving our access to the fishery. That's just reality

Stizzla likes this.
  6. Oh Sure

Oh Sure Member

Did DFO change the regs in area 14? Heard today only allowed 1 chinook per day. Also Juan de Fuca closed to all fin fish.

7. Foxsea

Foxsea Well-Known Member

Area 14 generally 1 Chinook for the summer but some spots like Sentry Shoals and out front of Kitty Coleman are non-retention so check the regs. carefully.

8. Hab#9

Hab#9 New Member

No reprimand, just a nudge. You have good postings keep them up.
    I'm fairly new in this area and need all the help i can get

9. Oh Sure

Oh Sure Member

Contacted DFO and area 14 is one chinook only until september.

10. lure-washer

lure-washer Member

Except sub-area 14-14 which is zero retention

11. searun

searun Well-Known Member

Well it was blowing a gale today, so no fishing report. Fingers crossed the hurricane drops for tomorrow.

12. searun

searun Well-Known Member

Good fishing on the morning tide, not so much on the afternoon shift. Lots of small chinook and coho late in the day.

13. TipUp

TipUp Active Member

Out at the humps yesterday from 11 to 5. A couple of undersized spring/wild coho. Hopefully some fresh fish will be moving through soon.

Stizzla likes this.
  14. Pescado_Loco

Pescado_Loco Active Member

What VHF channel do you guys monitor out of French Creek again?

15. Che

Che Active Member

AFAIK its 68. However, there's not much chatter. There's good cell phone coverage right out to Lasquiti, so most people just phone or text their buddies.

I monitor 68, 69, 88, & 16. Wish I knew who "old patty" and "dan" are, because I hear those old farts every time I'm out there.

16. searun

searun Well-Known Member

Out last night, 1 for 4. No puck luck on keeping the hooks in the fish...must be the cheap hooks. Started out a little lumpy, but soon calmed down.

17. Aces

Aces Well-Known Member

Get Derby to get you those hooks form his secret stash

18. searun

searun Well-Known Member

Lol, he's holdin out to keep the on ice advantage

Aces likes this.
  19. Che

Che Active Member

Out this morning to the humps for first light, expecting calm winds. Nope, all lumpy until tide change at 9. Managed a Hatch Coho in my first 30 seconds, then about eight more wild ones. Bonked a second hath coho around ten and had enough of the 'coho show.'

All coho taken on a 5" 602UVii Plug, depths ranged from 225-125. Speeds were hard to tell due to fighting the current and wind.

Ran over to Sangster. Got a 10# adipose clipped chinook, with some of the reddest flesh I've had all year. 3.5" Gforce Outfitter, 90' about a 2.8knot troll. Right off the south tip of the island.

Quite a few jelly fish in the water. Lots of bait balls. Saw a small pod of pacific white sided dolphins near the south hump. Crossing the straight was interesting as the water turned to a tea colour and then appeared quite turbid around Sangster. I guess the Fraser is still in freshet.

wishiniwasfishin1 likes this.
  20. Pescado_Loco

Pescado_Loco Active Member

thanks for the report. We’ll be out tomorrow morning. Hopefully it’s a little less lumpy and we can find a spring on this side.