2018 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Yeah I think that BonChovy out of Vancouver posted their hatchery head or avid angler DNA results from some April/May fish caught in the Gabriola to Bowen area and it was surprising how many were out of east coast Vancouver Island hatcheries, Big Qualicum, Puntledge, Cowichan, not from the US. I would be interested to see some results from French Creek/Lasqueti fish.
I dropped off a head a couple of weeks ago at the French Creek Store I’ll post when I get an email back

Last few days have shown an interesting pattern. For example, Friday was good, Saturday was scratchy and loads of coho, and Sunday was back to good again. Fish on Saturday were empty stomachs and today they were stuffed. Willing to bet that Monday will slow down again, with the fish gorging on herring one day and taking a break the next. 4 inch coyote spoons at 177 feet was working for us.

Lol. U can bet the usual response from our Liberal masters in Ottawa will be to manage recreational fisheries to zero. Just like the provincial government did with steelhead. Bring more and more restrictions on Rec fishing and spend less and less attention and resources on actually putting more fish in the water. Typical and this Liberal government doesn’t comprehend the socio-economic value the Rec fishery brings to Canada. Sickening.
I really enjoy the tips and information posted on this site and am very grateful to the contributors.
Please let's not politics ruin it and just stick to the sport we are all fanatic about
Thanks

I really enjoy the tips and information posted on this site and am very grateful to the contributors.
Please let's not politics ruin it and just stick to the sport we are all fanatic about
Thanks
Politics are driving our access to the fishery. That's just reality

Did DFO change the regs in area 14? Heard today only allowed 1 chinook per day. Also Juan de Fuca closed to all fin fish.

Did DFO change the regs in area 14? Heard today only allowed 1 chinook per day. Also Juan de Fuca closed to all fin fish.
Area 14 generally 1 Chinook for the summer but some spots like Sentry Shoals and out front of Kitty Coleman are non-retention so check the regs. carefully.

Well it was blowing a gale today, so no fishing report. Fingers crossed the hurricane drops for tomorrow.

Good fishing on the morning tide, not so much on the afternoon shift. Lots of small chinook and coho late in the day.

Out at the humps yesterday from 11 to 5. A couple of undersized spring/wild coho. Hopefully some fresh fish will be moving through soon.

What VHF channel do you guys monitor out of French Creek again?

AFAIK its 68. However, there's not much chatter. There's good cell phone coverage right out to Lasquiti, so most people just phone or text their buddies.

I monitor 68, 69, 88, & 16. Wish I knew who "old patty" and "dan" are, because I hear those old farts every time I'm out there.

Out last night, 1 for 4. No puck luck on keeping the hooks in the fish...must be the cheap hooks. Started out a little lumpy, but soon calmed down.

Out last night, 1 for 4. No puck luck on keeping the hooks in the fish...must be the cheap hooks. Started out a little lumpy, but soon calmed down.
Get Derby to get you those hooks form his secret stash

Out this morning to the humps for first light, expecting calm winds. Nope, all lumpy until tide change at 9. Managed a Hatch Coho in my first 30 seconds, then about eight more wild ones. Bonked a second hath coho around ten and had enough of the 'coho show.'

All coho taken on a 5" 602UVii Plug, depths ranged from 225-125. Speeds were hard to tell due to fighting the current and wind.

Ran over to Sangster. Got a 10# adipose clipped chinook, with some of the reddest flesh I've had all year. 3.5" Gforce Outfitter, 90' about a 2.8knot troll. Right off the south tip of the island.

Quite a few jelly fish in the water. Lots of bait balls. Saw a small pod of pacific white sided dolphins near the south hump. Crossing the straight was interesting as the water turned to a tea colour and then appeared quite turbid around Sangster. I guess the Fraser is still in freshet.

thanks for the report. We’ll be out tomorrow morning. Hopefully it’s a little less lumpy and we can find a spring on this side.

Back