2018 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Where is the best place to launch to go to Little Qualicum?
I would love to try it out. Tks.

Yes you are right Che, this forum has a few quotes regarding bumpy ride back to port.
So far, Tuesday night might be calm.

Is anyone hitting fish at little Q... went out the other morning. First boat there. Lines in the water at 5:15. One released wild coho all morning.

Anyone?

Fished the Little Q this morning as well. Nothing but an undersized coho.

Fished the humps for the rest of the day, took home two hatchery coho. Both taken at 65' on an MP15 squirt, trolled at 1.5kt. Bellies are full of crab larvae. Released numerous other undersized fish. Didn't see many nets outs.

Some jerk nose bumped in to my trailer at the launch, breaking the tail light lense. Not a big deal, accidents happen, but hey leave a note and offer a guy a case of beer or to pay for damages. Ya jerk.

I know they do, but I'm not that guy. In all likelihood, it was some guy who just wasn't paying attention or aware of what's going on with their trailer. I'm imagining some retired baby boomer with a boat bigger than their skill set, oblivious to which direction their trailer turns when they turn the wheel right or left. FC is full of them.

In other notes, the local fish wrapper has a write up about the derby winner over the weekend. 26.94 pounds. 910 tickets sold. Anyone know how many fish were weighed in?

Limited with two quick springs at little q this morning...This one fish limit is brutal! Ran back to FC to fish coho at around 7:45 and man was it lights out action. The coho were much bigger today 6-8lbs. Trolling chovies fast at 37 and 41 feet produced non stop action off the north hump.

Reactions: Che
How deep are you fishin' out at the Little Q? In close to shore, or out in the bay a bit more?

Hey thanks Che. I know us old buggers really know "f" all. We just lack the skills that younger people have. Anyone young or old can have problems backing up a trailer in tight parking lots and there's a lot of pressure to get your boat out of the water. From what I see and the insurance companies it's the younger guys that are statistically more likely to have an accident. But no excuses if they knew they hit you they should had dealt with it.
On another note, fishing has been a tad slow, 2 hatch coho's on Saturday, green and white spoon. Sunday seen two more hatch same lure plus a 15# spring on a bright pink hootchie. Hey nothing else was working. All out front.

Oh wow, you're in tight! I usually fish >100' mark, 30-40'.

Agree on the slow troll for spawners.

Yah I enjoy fishing in tight and the results are generally really good this time of year. I'm sure you get fish out in deeper water as well though. Tight lines.

Skunked today.

Pulled bait, spoons, plugs, hootchies. Nada. Didn't see anyone else getting fish. Was kind of lumpy too, in spite of a light wind forecast.

So I just read this notice...
https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=212921&ID=all

Those portions of Subareas 14-4 and 14-5 inside a line drawn from the light at Deep Bay located at 49 degrees 27.955'N by 124 degrees 44.115'W to the French
Creek Breakwater light located at 49 degrees 21.097'N by 124 degrees 21.278'W The daily limit of Chinook salmon returns to 2 per day on October 1, 2018 in
those Areas previously reduced to 1 per day and specified in Fishery Notice FN0428.

Like what kind of Horse shittery is this? So, you can't keep two Chinook at the Humps, but you can scoot over to the LQ and keep two? Even though they're probably both the same fish?

Back