2018 Nanaimo Reports

I haven’t seen the commercial prawn boats and I haven’t heard either.
Was out tonight and came back with 11 and 12lbs on anchovies in front of Neck Point, 135 on the rigger in 140 of water.
Another very nice calm night. We are luck to live here.
Nice to see you out Claude. We have to get out for a fish this year.

That's a deal Steveo. Next weekend, the tyee from French Creek will be in our area, I hope...and the coho will be open...
I will send you a PM.

Are you, or do you know the guy that set prawn traps off neck point in 200’ of water with 500’ of floating line and a bouy that was way to small and hardly visible? Float was also unmarked...

I caught both my downrigger balls on your line so thanks... I also took your traps home with me because I was so pissed off!

If you can describe them and the float you can have them back for two downrigger clips and 2 blue snubbers because your traps bent all mine open...

On a side note for all the lost and stolen traps if there not marked you most likely won’t get them back! I also saw two sets of commercial traps floating out in 1000’ of water but I wasn’t going to try and pull those by hand and they also had no number for me to call just there buoy numbers...

My report for today:
Small feisty coho
Small feisty coho
Small feisty coho
Small feisty coho
Small feisty coho
Small feisty coho
Small feisty coho
Small feisty coho
Small feisty coho
Small feisty coho
Small feisty coho
Small feisty coho
Small feisty coho
Small feisty coho
Small feisty coho
Small feisty coho
Small feisty coho
Small feisty coho

Like meny others I am catching a lot of coho, most un-clipped My strategy has been to fish big plugs fast and deep. I hate driving big hooks into those beautiful fish and hoping they survive.
How many of the hatchery coho are clipped? I have heard funding prevents them from marking them all.

regulation question, under area 17 it says this for coho.

Coho Salmon (Hatchery & Wild Combined) 17 ---------30cm 0/0/0---------------- Non-retention until May 31 (See Restrictions)
then in checking the restriction section it says

Coho Salmon (Hatchery) Coastwide Reminder Hatchery coho (marked): Coho salmon with a healed scar in place of the adipose fin.

so does this mean on June 1st u can keep hatchery in the gulf?

Ol pops at 84. Got a 27 and a 12 off Clark last night. 131 feet purple haze hootch.
So proud of dad. Hard core fisher and great example for us to follow.
Fishing between fingers and neck pt....... Marker toward harbour Is Clark rock.

Last edited:
Out last night from 6 to 9. Couple of wild coho released and a few shaker springs. Going to head north today looking for some larger springs, will report.

Beautiful calm ocean yesterday night. Plenty of boats, not much action. Found a 7 lbs spring with 135 on the DR in 130 of water, just North of Neck Point. The only other action for us was 2 under size Chinook.

With the 1 Chinook daily limit, the positive side is that it will be easier to max out. It will be fun to see at the end of summer how many times it happens. Friends and family are always impressed and it makes you look like a real good fisherman when you explain that you reached your limit and had to come home. Ha ha.

Coho everywhere out there. I got two nice hatchery. Tried everything too get away from them. No springs. Splatterback needlefish and purple haze hootchies.

Back