2018 Nanaimo Reports

Thanks a lot guys. Was an epic day and just goes to show even fishing here you have a chance to hook a fish of a lifetime. Anytime you’ve got lines in the water you have a chance. I’m just glad we got this on a weekday, cause if it was the weekend I’m sure we would have had multiple boats running over our line:rolleyes: especially with close to 900ft of line out! There’s been some big fish caught lately so I’m sure hogust has just begun! :D

LOST at Nanaimo's Charlene boat ramp this morning (Aug 11) around 7.30 a.m. : Left my red Mustang PDF on the ramp while loading boat back on to trailer. Could have been picked up in error by older man who spoke to me at the time. I can be reached at 250 758 5403. Many thanks, Peter

Just came back from Campbell River and the morning was very slow, with only about 20 boats on the water. During the evening, it was a different sight. Boats everywhere, as far as your eyes can see. I was told that most don't even bother going out in the morning and only go for the night bite.
Has anyone seen a similar pattern around Nanaimo? Is it slower in AM and more productive at night?

Just came back from Campbell River and the morning was very slow, with only about 20 boats on the water. During the evening, it was a different sight. Boats everywhere, as far as your eyes can see. I was told that most don't even bother going out in the morning and only go for the night bite.
Has anyone seen a similar pattern around Nanaimo? Is it slower in AM and more productive at night?
See this all the time during the week out of Nanaimo. It’s usually because most people work during the day and come out after work and fish the evening bite. Weekend usually people are out in the morning. Bite times are so varied, sometimes the night bite can be better but I find more often the morning bite is more productive.

Reactions: RBL
Went out today by my lonesome. Everyone else working but I couldn't resist the calm water. Lots and lots of boats around the fingers. Had a good hit and brought a spring alongside the boat. It was too close to call for size so released it with the gaff. Had a bit of a lull and then started catching coho after coho. All around 60-70 feet. Caught a total of 8 and every single one of them was wild. One poor. bugger was eye hooked so I don't hold a lot of promise for him. I also saw a floater wild coho. It had a bit of life so I tried to revive it but don't think it helped much. All my fish were caught on the same spoon. Not sure what its called but it was green and orange with an eye. The other side was white. Fished from 1230 to 3 and called it a day. Pretty calm but also very warm without wind.

Put in a shift today thought the Flood tide. Fished brickyard to out in the deep. Variety of lures variety of depths. 1 wild coho and two dogfish. Only saw a few shakers landed on other boats. Great night in the water with an old friend.

Was a beautiful day out there today, calm conditions and no pre smoked salmon! Slower today than last few days, marked lots of fish off the fingers but couldn't get them to bite. Finally the bite came on for a bit and got into some wild coho, a doggy, a nice hatch and a few under size springs. Coho seem to be liking hootchies over spoons right now. Also frustrating to see someone come in today with a "limit of sockeye" that were all wild coho. Sorry your not catching sockeye at 150' down off the fingers. :mad:

Was a beautiful day out there today, calm conditions and no pre smoked salmon! Slower today than last few days, marked lots of fish off the fingers but couldn't get them to bite. Finally the bite came on for a bit and got into some wild coho, a doggy, a nice hatch and a few under size springs. Coho seem to be liking hootchies over spoons right now. Also frustrating to see someone come in today with a "limit of sockeye" that were all wild coho. Sorry your not catching sockeye at 150' down off the fingers. :mad:
Wow that’s is very frustrating people hey

I agree with Unreal... Tons of fish on the sounder off the fingers in 200+ feet of water. Pumped to see if they start to hit.

I have been getting my 2 hatchery coho before 8am on my last 3 outings. When I go at evening time, not much action.
For me, morning seems to be when the fish are biting. I have used anchovies and spoons.
I will try hoochies next tine just to see if I can limit out faster.
On the water at 5:30, back at the dock by 8:30 and go to work. Great place to live!

North East of Hudson's Rock, 85 ft on DR over 400 ft of water.
Troll at similar speed as for springs. Long leaders, about 6 ft.
If the line pops out on the way down, reel fast! It is most likely a bite!
A few fish to the boat before sunrise, fish on every 15-20 min. after that. Sort through the wild and you will find some hatchery ones.

I am preparing my gear for tomorrow morning. What leader length do you recommend for hoochies?
Sounds like you've been successful so I wouldn't change anything! Fishing has slowed considerably the last 4-5 days from what it was a week ago. Hopefully just the full moon effect. When were you out last? And i usually run 30-36" leaders for hootchies.

Not hits for me today jigging or trolling. Tried hudson,pipers and the fingers. Saw one net out.

Sounds like you've been successful so I wouldn't change anything! Fishing has slowed considerably the last 4-5 days from what it was a week ago. Hopefully just the full moon effect. When were you out last? And i usually run 30-36" leaders for hootchies.
I have been fortunate to learn from all the experts on this forum and I am always looking to improve. My hoochies were about 24in leaders and never had much success with them. I will try your suggestion and see if it makes a difference.
I fished last Wednesday morning, Friday night and again on Saturday morning.

Fished the Fingers Sunday morning for about 4 hrs. Started tighter to structure and then moved out a ways as did all the other boats. Tried anchovies, hootchies and lures. Fished 50 - 1 50'. Lost one Spring, caught one dog fish and released one undersize. Not a lot of weed in the water. Hardly anything showing on the sounder compared to last couple of weeks. Didn't see any other boats with fish on and none at the Brechin cleaning station. It was a very nice morning out there weatherwise.

Fished the Fingers Sunday morning for about 4 hrs. Started tighter to structure and then moved out a ways as did all the other boats. Tried anchovies, hootchies and lures. Fished 50 - 1 50'. Lost one Spring, caught one dog fish and released one undersize. Not a lot of weed in the water. Hardly anything showing on the sounder compared to last couple of weeks. Didn't see any other boats with fish on and none at the Brechin cleaning station. It was a very nice morning out there weatherwise.

Would be nice to get 1 more batch of fish come through! Maybe the big tides this week will bring in some more

Back