2018 Kyuquot Reports

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Just back from 4 days in kyuquot. The gravel road in is in good shape so the drive in was good, still managed a flat on the trailer right before Fair harbour! Still launched on the flat as i have a tandem trailer and left the repair for trips end.
First night got out to spring island for a few hours picked up 2 nice springs and 2 nice coho. The coho are pretty big right now and lots of them.
First full day we were up at 4am to beat the winds as we off to the T where we hooked up on some huge slabs last year on a scouting mission. Hit the T winds were NW must have been 20n. Did a few tacks, nothing? Off towards shore I saw 6 comercial troller in a line headed right for us. Hmm maybe that's why? Pulled up and headed for the whale tail as there were no sporties around. Found everyone at the wail tail like 20 boats and 2 commercial trollers. Most of the guide boats were there from as far as westview marina and zeballos. Picked up a few spring 3 halli tossed 2 back kept one. Salmon were at 120 to 150 , Hali on bottom. Was blowing hard so pulled up and headed back to spring island. We picked up a couple more salmon there 30 feet down in 40 feet of water.
Last full day halli day. Left early to beat the winds and it was good running weather. Hit my halli hole anchored up and waiting......3 decent hits all yellow eye so the went back down on the descending device. Then nothing......**** this produced 6 years in a row?? I decide to move a couple miles and drop anchor. I drop my salmon belly down it hits bottom....bam! Fish on! It's a Hali! High fives rocking! Bust out a couple Cesar's and send the rods back down.....bam...yellow eye. Back he goes to the bottom. Wait...wait...wait...bam fish on! Total cluster f###. Wraps up my line which tangles in my prop! Get it up and it's a spiny dog fish like 4 feet long!!! F###! He's does the death spin and wraps both our gear all up! Give him a good gaff to the head! Get our gear all untangled, then have to deal with the line around the prop in 2 meter swells and chop! Decided to move to the whale tail as my halli spots seemed dry. It's blowin at least 30 now! We get out there and there is 2 sport boats and 3 commercial trollers....ya that rough! We drift troll with the wind at 2.5 n ! Can't get a halli so make the slow trek back with large breaking waves to port side. A May have pooped my pants a little a couple times lol.
Last day head out to spring island in the morning, I know it's my last day because it's sunny hot no wind flat calm! And I have to leave by noon!!!!! We quickly get the rest of our salmon hour before tide change in 40 feet of water at 25 on the rigger!
All in all another great trip to our incredible west coast. Short 2 halli which we thru back! Isn't that always the way...lol.
Spring island was the best spot for springs and coho. Tight to the rocks in 40 feet of water. It seemed to be a 1 in 5 fish were coho.

July 27 - Fished offshore, long quiet period then 4 springs to the net in a hour, 24 pound biggest. Anchovy.
July 28 - Fished inshore 7-8 am no bites, moved offshore, slow periods with frenzy bites, 8 Springs limit on anchovy. Moved a bit and caught 4 halibut in 1.5 hours. One ling cod while jigging.
July 29 - Fished inshore spring island 7-10 am, some hits and small springs, no keepers. Moved offshore, 11- 1 pm, no bites not a sniff. Packed up and went home.
Great trip, put in the time and when the bites on, reset and get lines down quick was key.
Cheers

IMG_6460.JPG IMG_6511.JPG IMG_6457.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6457.JPG
    IMG_6457.JPG
    887.6 KB · Views: 6
Looking to try this area in future, guided, recommendations? General best time to go?Been doing research/searches. Fished rivers inlet twice. Not an expert, but not a novice either. Fished some pretty big chop in Mexico without puking my guts out. New adventures. Thanks. PM me.

Last edited:
Geez nice pics boys,, wicked cool trophy 21.

Thanks guys.

July 27 - Fished offshore, long quiet period then 4 springs to the net in a hour, 24 pound biggest. Anchovy.
July 28 - Fished inshore 7-8 am no bites, moved offshore, slow periods with frenzy bites, 8 Springs limit on anchovy. Moved a bit and caught 4 halibut in 1.5 hours. One ling cod while jigging.
July 29 - Fished inshore spring island 7-10 am, some hits and small springs, no keepers. Moved offshore, 11- 1 pm, no bites not a sniff. Packed up and went home.
Great trip, put in the time and when the bites on, reset and get lines down quick was key.
Cheers

View attachment 39236 View attachment 39237 View attachment 39238

Great report! Thanks!
Did you guys fish the whale tail offshore? I saw the Walters coves guys doing a lot of drift jigging on the tail. What did you guys use when drift jigging?

shell water; go with Murphy's sportfishing (Dave Murphy). Dave may well be the smartest guy fishing BC & has been running the operation in Kyuquot for about 20 years. They fish 3 per boat & tend to use flashers on all their troll gear; but you can book 2 per boat at a higher cost. I am a 1-2 per boat no flasher guy so it's not my first choice. Food is great & the fish packaging/blast freezing is first rate. I'd say mid-July-mid August is usually best.

Great report! Thanks!
Did you guys fish the whale tail offshore? I saw the Walters coves guys doing a lot of drift jigging on the tail. What did you guys use when drift jigging?

Yes the whale tail offshore was stacked for boats. Yes just drift jigging with salmon belly near the same location.

Any recent report? Heading to Fair Harbour for the long weekend to meet my buddy, he has a 22 ft Hewescraft. It will be our first time fishing the area. We have lots of offshore experience out of Bamfield.... Looking for info on offshore and inside? Cheers!

Any recent report? Heading to Fair Harbour for the long weekend to meet my buddy, he has a 22 ft Hewescraft. It will be our first time fishing the area. We have lots of offshore experience out of Bamfield.... Looking for info on offshore and inside? Cheers!

I fished a couple years ago on Labour Day weekend (have been there a number of times from June thru Labour day at various times) and although we were getting fish inside there was a slot limit. The reef was slow for springs but thick for coho......REALLY, REALLY thick! If weather cooperates you will want to be out on the highway at the 50 fathom line. (springs were out there) It's all a roll of the dice though and you never know when waves of fish are going to roll through. I recall a buddy who lives there sent a message to me a couple of years back and in the third week of August most of the lodge guests aren't around; the locals were fishing and bringing in limits of BIG fish out at the reef. As you know from Bamfield.....it's very tough to say "go here at this time of the year" as the little brained salmon do what they do and not what we think they should do.

I have been out for tuna once in Tofino but if you have the gear the warmer water should be in close by then. I recall that Labour Day the tooners were all of about 20 miles out.

My biggest tip would be find Luke (raised in Kyuquot) who guides for Murphy and lives there year round(in the house on the right just as you go into the gap to Walter's).....tell him Scott (as in Scott and Vita) mentioned you could advise where the fish are? ;);) He's a great guy and will more than likely help you out.

I am heading to Walters cove tomorrow for 7 days. Thanks Pippen for the intel.

First time to kyoquot, so planning to try inside around spring island and offshore and see where the fish are. Will report back how it goes. Also have tuna gear, will give that a shot as well.

Pippen, by the reef do you mean the reef in front of union island?

Cheers

A quick report on my trip to kyuquot:

Fished for seven straight days, and now I am feeling it! Sore back from dragging up halis, fighting dozens of salmon and getting thrashed around in the high seas.

Fished mostly either at whales tail or else spring island. Whales tail had tons of wild coho (non retention), good amounts of springs, and excellent halibut fishing. Hot lures offshore were larger green spoons and white 6" plugs. Most springs were deeper - between 150- 200' For Hali we just used circle hooks and salmon belly. Our best fish offshore were 24 lb spring and 51lb Hali.

Also fished spring island a fair bit, especially when weather made offshore fishing difficult. Were getting springs on anchovies, green spoons mostly around spring. Also on the last day some coho were around and they were hitting green and white splatter back squirts.
Biggest spring inshore was 30lb and biggest coho was 13lb.

Also did some hunting for ling and found a few, but still need to dial in some better spots. Biggest was 22lb caught on a swim bait close to help beds around Thornton island.

Overall a great trip, and we have brought home a great haul of fish for the freezer. It was my first time to the area and would definitely recommend it.

We stayed at Walters cove resort and rented their entire hostel cabin "purple palace" . The place came with a private dock and Walters cove resort did a great job of packing and freezing our fish. Also their guides were happy to stay in touch on the radio throughout the day with updates / tips.

Check out the screenshot of our fishing spots if anyone is interested... Any questions let me know.

20180902_190103.jpg

Back