2018 Haida Gwaii Reports

I will be trying it in a couple days. Just finishing up some Halibut from last year. I can tell you its messed up to have a rockfish fillet that is close to 4" thick!
I saw Brendan Morrison catching them in Alaska and wondered whether they were similar to a Yellow Eye. Too bad about the guide, he should know better. I have fished Englefield bay resort and I made a good friend with the guide we had and still stay in touch!

I saw Brendan Morrison catching them in Alaska and wondered whether they were similar to a Yellow Eye. Too bad about the guide, he should know better. I have fished Englefield bay resort and I made a good friend with the guide we had and still stay in touch!

That episode is what planted the seed. It was from that moment on I needed to catch one....

I some how mananged to get a lot of folks confused... i guess i should have proff read it more. I am done with posting & if I chose to in the future will be very limited. I am choseing not to get into am arrgument but want to at least make sure i set the record strait.

1. I never high graded rockfish. Nor would I ever do such a thing. No clue how anyone got that intention? All I was trying to do was save yellow eyes!you can't high grade a zero limit

2. I stopped deep drop fishing because I had no more room for rock fish on my license. I had kept 4 black bass earlier in tge trip. My concern was it was foolish to think I could desend a rockfish I brought up from 1500'. "Hence not wanting to have any wasted bycatch".

3. The guide wanted me to keep the illegal mini salmon. It was not me try to.

4. Never had any concerns about limiting out. In fact I choose not to limit out and left lings in the water

5. I honestly have no clue why the guide got angry when I asked him to desend rockfish (yelloweye) he just wanted to throw them over and let them float away. When I could not take it anymore and asked him to desend a big yellow eye that was floating away he got mad and sacked his fender with his gaff. He just didn't like the hassle. Over 85% of the rock fish left floating away were yellow eye. I know it makes no sence I'm just as confused

*** the only reason I brought up the guide not resending rock is because I think it important for any charter or lodge to be called out****

Now back to fishing reports. And a for anyone thinking of posting in the future. Keep it limited with details. Some people try to read between the lines.

I agree that guide should be called out. I would report him to the management. Very unprofessional!

I hope you reconsider not posting as you come across as a real asset to this forum.

I agree that guide should be called out. I would report him to the management. Very unprofessional!

I hope you reconsider not posting as you come across as a real asset to this forum.

I don’t agree that the guide should be called out on this forum, especially without a chance to defend his side of the story. Pretty sure his employers would not approve of him engaging on this forum with a guest so it’s no contest.

I did enjoy the fishing report from @ILHG , sounded to me like his guide catered to his wishes and put him right on the desired fish. Right on!

I don’t agree that the guide should be called out on this forum, especially without a chance to defend his side of the story. Pretty sure his employers would not approve of him engaging on this forum with a guest so it’s no contest.

I did enjoy the fishing report from @ILHG , sounded to me like his guide catered to his wishes and put him right on the desired fish. Right on!

He absolutely did. He worked hard & knew his ****.

Have seen some pics from friends who are/were at Lanagara Lodge over the weekend....small and few fish!!! Saw a mornings catch with 3 that would be barely 10lbs...and only one was in that range . Sure hope things pick up .

I heard it picked up a bit around Langara island this morning

ILHG keep those awesome reports coming. Your posts are very educational and well written. Remember some people have problems reading and UNDERSTANDING what they are reading.

One week from today I will be pulling off the Ferry to begin my 2 week adventure with my new boat & family. We will be staying outside of Masset in a house which is right on the North beach. The plan is to fish for Hali in the shallow sandy bottom off north beach & Toe Hill (out in front of where we are staying) & also target crabs there as they are thick there this time of year. I love getting Hali there this time of year as they are typically in good numbers & also very shallow. Nothing better than going for hali in 30-60' of water. We will do some trolling for salmon on the north end also while traps soak however it sounds like the north end is not currently that hot..

I'm not to concerned if the salmon fishing is slow up in the north as I have plans to make a few trips through the Skidegate narrows & fish the westside of the island. Cartwright Sound looks like it should have some great fishing for lings, & Salmon.I am hoping the Coho will start showing up soon as they are a good for the kids to catch (Also nice when you can only bonk one spring). I have never prawned before, but plan on working it hard as nothing would make me happier than a good feed of prawns. Also the kids will love catching them. I got 3 Bauer traps, rope, weights, puller & everything else I should need. I have a few spots I picked along the narrows were I will try dropping pots. Hopefully I can get it figured out & dialed in.

If I am blessed with some decent weather I am going to try deep dropping for some Shortrakers & Sable fish. I have a few spots picked out that I think have a chance of holding the fish. The first one is only 4km out of the narrows & if weather is good should be quick drive to get to. The attached picture is where I am planning on trying first.

I will send out some reports on how I am making out & what im doing. I will do this for both the north & west sides of the island.

If anyone has any advise on fishing & prawning the area I would love the feedback.

Also, if anyone has spent time in Rennel Sound,,, Is it worth launching there & fishing the area? Is it better if the wind is bad?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    490 KB · Views: 105
Also, if anyone has spent time in Rennel Sound,,, Is it worth launching there & fishing the area? Is it better if the wind is bad?

I have fished Rennall in 2016 and 2017 came back with full spring limits both times. We fish in a little 12 ft zodiak so we cant venture all the way to conehead but that is where most salmon fishing takes place in Rennall. Crabbing is good as well. Have not fared well with halibut or ling both years only reeled in one hali 45 lbs each time. Lots of dogfish to be had. Inside the most inner parts of Rennall it doesnt get too rough. Out by conehead it can get pretty choppy.

Pretty bad form from the west coast resorts guide. All our boats have descenders and i use mine religiously, even for small rockfish. By the way fishing is on fire offshore. My boats getting 30-50 fish a day, every day. Lots of smaller cookie cutters but a few in the 20s as well. All on ap spoons, and i had to swap out the hooks for smaller ones to minimize the number of fish that get eye hooked. Bonking the bleeders and eye hooked fish obviously.

Not a fan of catching and releasing that many fish in a day obviously, but this current group is never satisfied and of course the customer is always right.... :mad::confused:o_O

Pretty bad form from the west coast resorts guide. All our boats have descenders and i use mine religiously, even for small rockfish. By the way fishing is on fire offshore. My boats getting 30-50 fish a day, every day. Lots of smaller cookie cutters but a few in the 20s as well. All on ap spoons, and i had to swap out the hooks for smaller ones to minimize the number of fish that get eye hooked. Bonking the bleeders and eye hooked fish obviously.

Are you using an in line or dummy with your spoons??

I have fished Rennall in 2016 and 2017 came back with full spring limits both times. We fish in a little 12 ft zodiak so we cant venture all the way to conehead but that is where most salmon fishing takes place in Rennall. Crabbing is good as well. Have not fared well with halibut or ling both years only reeled in one hali 45 lbs each time. Lots of dogfish to be had. Inside the most inner parts of Rennall it doesnt get too rough. Out by conehead it can get pretty choppy.

I was in Rennell Sound as well several years ago in early June. fishing was great with a few silver springs and healthy halibut. Yup, huge swells out of that sound. yikes! but the gravel roads all the way were bumpy and steep. I did see the bear at Yaukon River Junction. so cool! true wilderness!

Are you on bottom with Sundance spoons? What size color is working

Not on bottom. Anywhere from 100-220 on the riggers in 180-350ft of water. 4 inch and 5 inch ap herring spoons in any uv/glow combo. Order 1000 and tell andrew i sent u! :p

Back