2018 Gulf Island Reports

I was out near gabriola bluffs a couple nights ago and landed one spring around 12lbs in 70ft of water. We have owned our cabin near gabriola island for 4 years now and this being my first time fishing the area im not to familiar with the fishing grounds. I was the only boat on the water fishing and haven't seen many reports from the naniamo/gulf island area. Is this just an early season(April/May) chinook fishery or do decent runs move through all summer like the west side of Vancouver island?

I think the trend is Columbia fish in the spring and fraser fish in the summer. You are right on the salmon hwy. Good luck out there.
Viking

Definitely not many people fishing for salmon around there come July but there's still fish to be had. You always wonder when there are no boats around if it's worth it. I've found the answer is usually YES! The fish don't follow the crowds, so don't feel you need to!

Now that my local fishery at Pender Bluffs is history and it is illegal to fish for a bullhead in the whole area, I was wondering if it was worth the run to Salamanca or Porlier. My last four attempts at Fairfax have resulted in skunks.Have not read a report from either place for a long time. Curious if any Coho are around? Thanks

We spent a couple hours at Salamanca last Saturday. Had a couple undersize springs and a few hits that didn’t stick. No coho, but we fishing off bottom 100 - 140 ft. Saw a few nice bait balls on the sounder.

Had better luck for coho the next day up at Gabriola with the lines at 50 - 60 ft.

Thanks CB, I picked up a 12# hatch at Fairfax about 3 weeks ago but it seems to have turned into a desert since then. Was going to run out to Salamanca this past week but the NW winds didn't appeal. Hopefully will settle down for next weekend and will burn some fuel. Dragging around for hours with no sign of life gets old pretty quick. May have a look at Tumbo for a change of scenery. Rock on...

Fished the boundary of the closure from nose point to horda shoal yesterday morn. Lost one and got one on a hootchy with the deep six.

"Fished the boundary of the closure from nose point to horda shoal yesterday morn. Lost one and got one on a hootchy with the deep six."
Thanks for this Tugcapitan!

Now I know I'm digitally challenged, but the DFO site drives me nuts. It shows 18-2,9,4, and 5 are closed. I assume 18-6 is as well, but the site is clear as mud on that one. On the map if falls under "PFMA subareas". I do a search trying to find out what a PFMA subarea is and it comes up "no results". Is 18-6 closed?

Any suggestions for somewhere to go fishing in my gas hog? Based out of Otter Bay Pender Island.

Now I know I'm digitally challenged, but the DFO site drives me nuts. It shows 18-2,9,4, and 5 are closed. I assume 18-6 is as well, but the site is clear as mud on that one. On the map if falls under "PFMA subareas". I do a search trying to find out what a PFMA subarea is and it comes up "no results". Is 18-6 closed?

Any suggestions for somewhere to go fishing in my gas hog? Based out of Otter Bay Pender Island.

Cyborg, here are 3 options for you. 1) Head over to the Sidney area (18-6). The closest open area would be the south side of Moresby but you aren't far from Sidney Island and Coal Island. 2) Travel north through Active Pass and head northwest. Their are some RCA's but you can fish on the Northeast side of Galiano (29-5). 3) Loop around Port Washington towards Saturna, head through boat passage and fish the southeast end of Saturna (18-1). All 3 areas are open but be mindful of the RCA's.

What’s going on gulf islands, anyone been fishing porlier for springs recently? Thinking about tomorrow

With the recent sockeye openings I'm curious if anyone has ever had luck around porlier for sockeye? Wondering if it's worth dropping some gear.

Thanks Shermanater! Was curious how Tent was in late July as there had been a number of boats fishing there up until the closure.

As an aside, took a quick run down to Maple Bay to fuel up ($1.65 per litre vs $1.95/litre in Telegraph at Thetis ... yikes) and heard a report of 8 wild coho caught and released by one boat. Hard to believe but great news for the stock if this year’s big coho run is hitting the Stuart Channel area also.

Shaker city at Salamanca for the last few outings, all over the column - total waste of time.

Finally got on top of the Sockeye, active on the early AM bite, tide doesn't seem to matter much.

I will be out tomorrow at (Wednesday August 29) at 6AM - hope to see some of you out there.

Back