2018 Fraser Sockeye

They will also take a cocktail shrimp procured steely pink fished under a float.

I was going to take my kids to some areas in langley (close to home) to try but I herd you cant bottom bounce because there are to many snags, So i was looking for a bar rig or a float to try. I heard the deli shrimp on a bar rig works.

How did you rig it for float fishing?

I was going to take my kids to some areas in langley (close to home) to try but I herd you cant bottom bounce because there are to many snags, So i was looking for a bar rig or a float to try. I heard the deli shrimp on a bar rig works.

Main line straight through float then 1.5" of pencil lead also straight through then barrel swivel then short 10" leader with 1/0 hook rigged through shrimp and bait loop. Float set 6" above the lead.

Also live in Langley but have only used this method above harrison. Not sure if it will work. Maybe try Duncan bar on river road.

I have to say, one meeting constitutes nothing as far as knowledge, understanding or pull toward an amicable end result. It takes time, like in any process to catch the grasp of how the process works and how important it is to become part of it. Here's the thing, if you don't understand or have the knowledge necessary and are not working within the process...then how the hell can you accomplish one single objective, let alone constitute any power for change? Tell me(?). Stop F-ing around by pointing fingers every single opportunity you get with a tiny notice of opportunity for this sector and that sector...get a grasp of the damaging impact of the fastest growing of all three sectors in BC. Oh, wait...but you can't. The only data we get right now is canvased at random from DFO via online questionnaire and an unsubstantiated guess at the dock, which in turn is funneled through a formula at a trusty DFO members desk. If, ten years ago when I started asking about making condition of license mandatory to submit the previous years license for tabulation. We then would have fairly accurate data per area for angler effort. Then there is something substantial to run on. You would totally understand why, what, where, when, how...and understand how-come the fastest growing sector is starting to become the most access reduction targeted among all three main fish harvesters. I am telling you now, to stop whining about what you don't have and start worrying about the opportunities you do have and how to better manage them through amicable working relationships. This is not new. I put it out there over ten years ago and everyone keeps acting like they just discovered the issue. Get over it and move forward. I tried to help then...I can only say things so many times before I, myself start to think that I am mentally diminished. :)

My apologies for the rant, but after what seems like more than ten years of warning...I am really getting tired.

I understand there is some great examples of round tables out their Port Alberni and Nootka. Where harvest planning is fair and decisions are made by all.

However the Fraser is not one of them and when concerns about the Fraser are resulting in closure windows coast wide it then become everyone’s issue

10 years of Fraser river peacemakers direct colleberation between First Nations and sportsfishermen has gotten no where.

Just between mission and hope there can be over 700 gillnets out and that does not include a commercial opening.

All I can say is I hope your fishery does not have or depend on Fraser river stock going though it.

People complaining about people B.B. when there is net after net...

You continuously sound like the proverbial record. Now you are complaining about people complaining about BB, yet all you complain / ***** about here on this forum, is nets - and not take any action.

A few weeks, I mentioned that I know a local news reporter that I may able to put you in touch with - but you cannot hide behind your anonymous "Whitebuck" name and you will need to provide your real name. That offer still stands. Whenever you have a few minutes away from your complaining duties, PM me if you are interested.

I have to say, one meeting constitutes nothing as far as knowledge, understanding or pull toward an amicable end result. It takes time, like in any process to catch the grasp of how the process works and how important it is to become part of it. Here's the thing, if you don't understand or have the knowledge necessary and are not working within the process...then how the hell can you accomplish one single objective, let alone constitute any power for change? Tell me(?). Stop F-ing around by pointing fingers every single opportunity you get with a tiny notice of opportunity for this sector and that sector...get a grasp of the damaging impact of the fastest growing of all three sectors in BC. Oh, wait...but you can't. The only data we get right now is canvased at random from DFO via online questionnaire and an unsubstantiated guess at the dock, which in turn is funneled through a formula at a trusty DFO members desk. If, ten years ago when I started asking about making condition of license mandatory to submit the previous years license for tabulation. We then would have fairly accurate data per area for angler effort. Then there is something substantial to run on. You would totally understand why, what, where, when, how...and understand how-come the fastest growing sector is starting to become the most access reduction targeted among all three main fish harvesters. I am telling you now, to stop whining about what you don't have and start worrying about the opportunities you do have and how to better manage them through amicable working relationships. This is not new. I put it out there over ten years ago and everyone keeps acting like they just discovered the issue. Get over it and move forward. I tried to help then...I can only say things so many times before I, myself start to think that I am mentally diminished. :)

My apologies for the rant, but after what seems like more than ten years of warning...I am really getting tired.
You touched on a couple of points near and dear to my heart. The first being the requirement for all license holders to report all catch annotated on their license as part of license renewal, absolutely agree.

Second the fact that many don’t grasp how the process works. Frankly I think the process is at fault for that. There should be agendas as well as minutes published online for any meeting that is part of the “process”. The current process makes no effort to be transparent nor does it make any effort to inform. Let’s face it there are 300k fishers spread out throughout Canada, surely that constitutes enough interest to make use of the internet to disseminate information as opposed to expecting everyone to attend meetings that may be no where near where they live. I blame DFO, they clearly have failed to realize the 80’s are over.

They will also take a cocktail shrimp procured steely pink fished under a float.

I'm not sure on the current visibility of the Fraser River, but in clear water like the harrison they most certainly will. With the right Fraser conditions however, turbidity can be low enough to get some biters on floated prawns and jigs.

That doesn't mean you can't go out with a bar rig and experiment. Sockeye travel in close in slower moving water than Chinook. You'd think some anglers would get together and have a few mass efforts to find what works best. I mean, someone had to find that Green Wool worked better than Orange... right?

I'm not sure on the current visibility of the Fraser River, but in clear water like the harrison they most certainly will. With the right Fraser conditions however, turbidity can be low enough to get some biters on floated prawns and jigs.

That doesn't mean you can't go out with a bar rig and experiment. Sockeye travel in close in slower moving water than Chinook. You'd think some anglers would get together and have a few mass efforts to find what works best. I mean, someone had to find that Green Wool worked better than Orange... right?
They did find what works best, bottom bouncing with a 10 foot leader.......

They did find what works best, bottom bouncing with a 10 foot leader.......

nyuck nyuck nyuck....I once had a guy tell me that he was being selective for chinook by using 3oz betties and red wool versus 1.5 oz and green wool... Yeah okay there bud, you're an ace. What's even worse are the fly flickers that also believe they're getting these fish to bite. Guy I work with went off about how 'yarn ties' really trigger an aggressive response from fish. "They really snap at it!" he says. And it's like, yeah no and then explained flossing to him. He ranted for fifteen minutes about how much money he spent on his gear and how the fish are all hooked 'in the mouth' bla bla bla. At least in Alaska, they call it for what it is: a snag fishery done to harvest fish for food purposes. But I guess if they did that locally, so many short dicked anglers won't be able to boast at what a hero they are for conquering the mighty fraser river, with their utmost skill in capturing the elusive Nerka Salmon.

Shrimp work well under floats for them mostly right at the crack of dawn and just before dusk especially in fresh water. But float fishing for them can be killer at times in the salt chuck too right at the dirty water/clean water line if it is open out there. We have done this successfully lot's and lot's of times over the years in the past. Often times hooking many more than the trollers are hooking and landing more cause there aren't the tangles and multiple flashers/gear to deal with. Problem is out in the chuck though is that you have to find the schools jumping and showing themselves/staging and kill your motor then slowly let your float drift in that area. Other boats trolling around you can put that to an end quickly. We go out a ways from the crowds and look for the jumping fish. In the chuck we use glow beads above the bait to give the fish more to look at. They have to be right by the bait and see and smell it to hit it. There's not much like hooking a Sockeye in the chuck on light gear, bait and center pin reels under a float. Most comparable thing would be Steelhead fishing.

Also where fresh water creeks enter the Fraser we get them like that too. Harrison has been a known source of action like this for almost 30 years now. It's a great fishery when open and the fish are there in numbers.
All the way up into the canyon of the Fraser they will bite shrimp under floats. But much more Krill than larger sized shrimp and prawns although they do work well too at times. you can color them or not. Sometimes plain works better if the water is very clear. Chartruese is another good color for dying the Krill with.
At times we've had to reduce leader sizes very thin and go to fluorocarbon lines using only one or two split shot at times or very small piece of pencil lead. Pencil lead is better if you can break off tiny pieces and have the line go through it but don't crimp the line onto the pencil lead. Sockeye can be very sensitive and finicky so any resistance in the line they feel can make them release the bait immediately. We have hooked more Sockeye barely under the surface of the water without lead than with lead for that reason alone.
The bait that works the best we have found over the years are Krill. You can get them from a pet food store in their freezer section. They are one of the Sockeye's main food supplies out in the ocean and they hammer them at times if presented properly in fresh water and in the salt.
The Sockeye can be so sensitive though that we had to take all the paint colors off of our floats in the fresh water in order to keep them biting. I use Drennan clear floats for them and I scrape the color off the top of them. A scissor blade edge works well at scraping the paint off just don't scrape too deep or you will cut into the float plastic. If they get even more tight lipped and don't want to bite cause they are spooked we have resorted to using corkies as floats with free drifting krill under them. When the Sockeye hit it's none stop jumping and screaming around. One of my favorite types of fishing I've ever done.
If they open them in the fresh water I highly recommend it and if they show up in big concentrated numbers out at the mouth of the Fraser than it's really worth it to give it a go out there. Not many guys are doing it so it's a whole different experience I highly recommend.

Shrimp work well under floats for them mostly right at the crack of dawn and just before dusk especially in fresh water. But float fishing for them can be killer at times in the salt chuck too right at the dirty water/clean water line if it is open out there. We have done this successfully lot's and lot's of times over the years in the past. Often times hooking many more than the trollers are hooking and landing more cause there aren't the tangles and multiple flashers/gear to deal with. Problem is out in the chuck though is that you have to find the schools jumping and showing themselves/staging and kill your motor then slowly let your float drift in that area. Other boats trolling around you can put that to an end quickly. We go out a ways from the crowds and look for the jumping fish. In the chuck we use glow beads above the bait to give the fish more to look at. They have to be right by the bait and see and smell it to hit it. There's not much like hooking a Sockeye in the chuck on light gear, bait and center pin reels under a float. Most comparable thing would be Steelhead fishing.

Also where fresh water creeks enter the Fraser we get them like that too. Harrison has been a known source of action like this for almost 30 years now. It's a great fishery when open and the fish are there in numbers.
All the way up into the canyon of the Fraser they will bite shrimp under floats. But much more Krill than larger sized shrimp and prawns although they do work well too at times. you can color them or not. Sometimes plain works better if the water is very clear. Chartruese is another good color for dying the Krill with.
At times we've had to reduce leader sizes very thin and go to fluorocarbon lines using only one or two split shot at times or very small piece of pencil lead. Pencil lead is better if you can break off tiny pieces and have the line go through it but don't crimp the line onto the pencil lead. Sockeye can be very sensitive and finicky so any resistance in the line they feel can make them release the bait immediately. We have hooked more Sockeye barely under the surface of the water without lead than with lead for that reason alone.
The bait that works the best we have found over the years are Krill. You can get them from a pet food store in their freezer section. They are one of the Sockeye's main food supplies out in the ocean and they hammer them at times if presented properly in fresh water and in the salt.
The Sockeye can be so sensitive though that we had to take all the paint colors off of our floats in the fresh water in order to keep them biting. I use Drennan clear floats for them and I scrape the color off the top of them. A scissor blade edge works well at scraping the paint off just don't scrape too deep or you will cut into the float plastic. If they get even more tight lipped and don't want to bite cause they are spooked we have resorted to using corkies as floats with free drifting krill under them. When the Sockeye hit it's none stop jumping and screaming around. One of my favorite types of fishing I've ever done.
If they open them in the fresh water I highly recommend it and if they show up in big concentrated numbers out at the mouth of the Fraser than it's really worth it to give it a go out there. Not many guys are doing it so it's a whole different experience I highly recommend.

Thanks for sharing that’s a wealth of knowledge right their.

I have these brines for Kokanee do u think these would work?

Attachments

• FD6D73B6-9E29-4C85-BAD0-F5DB25DF6EF5.jpeg
    FD6D73B6-9E29-4C85-BAD0-F5DB25DF6EF5.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for sharing that’s a wealth of knowledge right their.

I have these brines for Kokanee do u think these would work?

Absolutely. That color we used to call "double red hot". We found there is a time limit though you should brine the shrimp for. You still want that smell of shrimp on them so only keep in the dye long enough for the color. If some of the white and orange still come through on the shrimp/Krill that's a good thing too. If the scent goes too much artificial we found some days of very little hook ups that we figured had to be do to that reason but it's just theories that we worked on testing out on different days. We had phenomenal days at some spots where nothing kept them from biting until either they would spook or the sun got too bright and they stopped biting. When the sun got too high and bright you could literally watch them stop coming to the surface, hug the bottom and close their mouths from biting anything. While spinner/spoon/flat fish/plug fishing for Pinks back trolling we have also had some Sockeye bite. Usually on the smallest presentations in pinks, lime and chartreuse colors we found the best.

Absolutely. That color we used to call "double red hot". We found there is a time limit though you should brine the shrimp for. You still want that smell of shrimp on them so only keep in the dye long enough for the color. If some of the white and orange still come through on the shrimp/Krill that's a good thing too. If the scent goes too much artificial we found some days of very little hook ups that we figured had to be do to that reason but it's just theories that we worked on testing out on different days. We had phenomenal days at some spots where nothing kept them from biting until either they would spook or the sun got too bright and they stopped biting. When the sun got too high and bright you could literally watch them stop coming to the surface, hug the bottom and close their mouths from biting anything. While spinner/spoon/flat fish/plug fishing for Pinks back trolling we have also had some Sockeye bite. Usually on the smallest presentations in pinks, lime and chartreuse colors we found the best.

Thanks so much fishing for me has become about using different techniques to try to catch different species and using different gear. I get more of a rush catching a fish in a different ways then just using what works and catching limits.

Thanks so much fishing for me has become about using different techniques to try to catch different species and using different gear. I get more of a rush catching a fish in a different ways then just using what works and catching limits.

No problem man me too. I enjoy all kinds of fishing and I find trying different techniques very enjoyable. Seeing them bite on new gear or techniques is very rewarding. :)

Back