2018 Fraser Sockeye

Ether way the department has a habit within Sooke in Summer fishery of opening it after they move past. Maybe we get lucky this year.

Tracking above 50%. Not sure where the 20% is from?
The current estimate for the diversion rate through Johnstone Strait
has declined to 17% based on the most recent 5 days of catch in the Area 20 and
12 gill net test fisheries.

The panel reported today that the diversion was 17% for Johnston Strait as others have stated.

The panel reported today that the diversion was 17% for Johnston Strait as others have stated.
Excuse my ignorance here guys but is that 17% of the fish diverting East of VI? I can't keep up with you guys!

They re-asess the run diversion based on the test fishing every week. If it continues at 17% it would be very different from 2014 when some weekly reports had the diversions at up to 95% going down the inside.

A FN guy pointed out to me the peak year of the 4 year cycle is the same year the World Cup of soccer tournament runs.
That stuck.[/QUOTE]

catches starting to increase in the area 12 and area 20 seines yesterday, looks like the diversion rates going to be creeping back up.

upload_2018-7-29_9-9-38.png

The Area D Gill Net fleet should be advised that there is potential for an
opening for Fraser sockeye in portions of Areas 11, 12 and 13 as early as
Wednesday, August 1, 2018. A final decision on the fishing opportunity will be
made on short notice on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 following the Fraser River Panel
meeting.
https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=211167&ID=all

If they're readying the fleet for a potential opening, I'm fairly certain we will see a full recreational fishery opened. Which means, in all likelihood the mighty Fraser river snag fest of 2018 will start up an hour before sunrise. Or maybe, just maybe, due to conservation efforts for Chinook Salmon, they won't open 'non selective' fishing for salmon.

Seems pretty silly to have a one fish slot limit for chinook at the mouth of the Fraser, but once the fish are in the river swimming past Chilliwack, they can run the gauntlet of grassy, peg leg and scale bar.

Thing is, sockeye WILL bite spin'n'glows. I've caught the odd one while chinook fishing over the years. Size 0 and 1's, in pinks, reds, chartreuse, mylar wings. I'm sure if someone on the fraser actually put in the effort to dial in an effective colour and presentation to get sockeye to consistently bite. FWIW, if the Fraser opens for sockeye area 29 will be open too. Probably for four fish. Much more efficient fishing.

They are going to open in river commercial and FSC sockeye fisheries. FSC sockeye fisheries are already allowed chinook retention and your worried about people bottom bouncing????? wow

The 35% chinook reduction in ocean that sporties took from CR to Van is being handed over to sockeye gillnet fisheries. Just as predicted

I hate the snag fishery just as much as the next guy buy if your going to have non selective sockeye mesh gill net fisheries. Then Bottom bouncing is not an issue

Not exactly. The DFO formula has a predictive level for all sectors. The opportunities will come about. You need to get beyond your train of thought and start developing a new way to create your reality. You get what you give. It's real. Thoughts and words become things. Trust me. Try a different approach. Also get involved with SFAC or work towards the top SFAB.

I was in an SFAC meeting this year where DFO explicitly told us that if we took a 35% reduction in chinook, that the 35% reduction we took would put more chinook on the spawning grounds. They explicitly told us that there would be no more added interception on these fraser river chinook stock. Well how can you have all these sockeye gillnet fisheries compared to 2017 where there was hardly any and then say that more chinook will make it to the spawning grounds.

This is not about opportunities to fish this is about reducing opportunities in the name of "conservation" then watching them get intercepted.

Thats whats frustrating

More chinook are going to be intercepted by all sectors in river sockeye fisheries. No conservation, just reallocation. So call a spade a spade

Some system still may benefit like CR and Cowichan but the reduction was suppose to be for 3 Fraser river stocks.

Last edited:
Thing is, sockeye WILL bite spin'n'glows. I've caught the odd one while chinook fishing over the years. Size 0 and 1's, in pinks, reds, chartreuse, mylar wings. I'm sure if someone on the fraser actually put in the effort to dial in an effective colour and presentation to get sockeye to consistently bite. FWIW, if the Fraser opens for sockeye area 29 will be open too. Probably for four fish. Much more efficient fishing.

They will also take a cocktail shrimp procured steely pink fished under a float.

Back