2018 Fraser Sockeye

What is the sockeye cycle anyway? Is it every fourth year we get a big run? Do any of them come past the Victoria waterfront? I know nothing about this fish.

Saw an armada of boats speeding north out of Nanaimo this morning. Does anyone know if these boats are FN going out for Sockeye? There were at least 30

Going to be a while until Sox Fishing gets decent around Vancouver anyways. Was out this morning and while I saw the odd one lop...I marked no schools. It’s going to be a couple of weeks for sure

Actually all sectors will always do as they are directed to as per DFO and the FED. Everyone takes what they are aloud. The director of this stage is the FED. All the actors are doing what they are directed to do.

Well who lobbies the Feds? Who gives money to the parties? Who takes them to court? All to protect what? The fish?

Very good point tho.

Albion test fishery numbers yesterday are bumping up.. praying for a healthy run, gear is tied and ready for the crack of dawn fishing.
Whats the deal with these #s anyway, says they are using a 8" net, doesnt that seem a little large to catch socs or early springs?

While no doubt there will be sales of these FN caught sockeye, at the same time it is probably good news for sockeye anglers. FN gets first crack at them, so there needs to be FN openings before non FN commercial and sport openings can happen. The protected early Stuarts have gone by, and the early summer run appears to be near pre-season forecasts. This could be the door opening on some commercial and sport retention as the number of summer and late fish arriving ramps up.

They will open sport first or second week of August.

If you haven’t loaded up on your sockeye gear I wouldn’t wait around to buy it.

I’m all for this fishery, one of the best family fisheries there is. However if the numbers ain’t there I have no problem not fishing in hopes that DFO shuts down all the netting in the river.
A return of less than half what it was 2 cycles ago ain’t a good template of things to come.
I was on the Thompson and Adams a lot during peak migration of these fish, and am very sceptical of what we will actually be seeing for a return!
Hopefully it will be like 2010!

Screenshot_20180726-140558_Drive.jpg The whonock net is a sockey net so those numbers will tell you more than the Albion

Last edited:
If this hot weather continues and the temperature in the Fraser keeps climbing, and if the Adams return is weak, I'm afraid our sockeye fishery might be toast. Hope not, but if DFO starts adding additional escapement to compensate for pre-spawn mortality, the TAC starts to slip away. Just sayin' .

Fraser_River_Water_Temps_Hope-1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
Fraser_River_Water_Temps_Hope-1.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve never fished sockeye on the west coast of VI. If it does open can someone suggest a good place to try near Ukee? Thank you.

Sorry edited for manners. Hi to everyone. New member but long time lurker. Love fishing. Live on the east side of VI but get over to the west coast occasionally. Thank you for any pointers.

Last edited:
I’ve never fished sockeye on the west coast of VI. If it does open can someone suggest a good place to try near Ukee? Thank you.

Sorry edited for manners. Hi to everyone. New member but long time lurker. Love fishing. Live on the east side of VI but get over to the west coast occasionally. Thank you for any pointers.

You'll have a far far far better chance of catching Fraser bound sockeye on the ECVI then the West.

"If the current pattern of Fraser sockeye returns being larger than the p50
forecast continues, Commercial and recreational fisheries are likely to begin
next week with dates and times to be determined following the next Panel
meeting"

At this point looking to be 15-20 million. Next Fraser River panel meeting July 31st

The big deep hole east and south of Long Beach

Back