2018 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

20 lb gilled and gutted spring won the Investors Derby. Came from the hump at 7am. 5lb hatchery coho won that prize VERY slow fishing for most. Including my boat (sniff ! ) 14lb ling was the biggest bottomfish.

I understand that there was good fishing yesterday (Saturday) at Sangster. Can anybody confirm?? Thanks.

20 lb gilled and gutted spring won the Investors Derby. Came from the hump at 7am. 5lb hatchery coho won that prize VERY slow fishing for most. Including my boat (sniff ! ) 14lb ling was the biggest bottomfish.

I thought it was 19-4-15 lb for the winners?

Had a nice double header first thing at 6 am off texada and another single after that. A few other lost and a few undersize. Nothing big but one were close to the hidden weight, 8-12. Thanks to Mandy and all the other organizers and sponsors! It was a great event, I’m sure a good amount was raised for PSF and Marine Station 60!!!!

I thought it was 19-4-15 lb for the winners?

Had a nice double header first thing at 6 am off texada and another single after that. A few other lost and a few undersize. Nothing big but one were close to the hidden weight, 8-12. Thanks to Mandy and all the other organizers and sponsors! It was a great event, I’m sure a good amount was raised for PSF and Marine Station 60!!!!

I rounded the weights off. Didnt take note of the ounces .

Made it out tonight to the Pt Holmes area between the markers. No salmon but managed 1 large rockfish and one small ling. Ran into engine problems so my trip was cut short.

Was out Sunday to Kitty for a few hours in the morning, rods down by 8:15. 2.5 hours of nothing on the scanner, no bites, no bait. Moved over to Grant's to check it out, no bait, no bites. Coho Point for the low tide, no bites, no bait. Full tour of the Salish Sea and saw no other boats with a net out at all, although a few people said they had fish on board.

Good/bad out at Kitty this am - good - hooked into a really nice fat spring around 8am - WAY too big to keep for 2 people - unfortunately no pics as I was by myself and didn't want to take it out of the water. Not a record breaker but easily into the 20lb range. Was at 160' on an anchovie. Dogfish quickly ate through my remaining bait (only brought 1/2 pack - I'm a bait miser).
Then around 11am 2 humpbacks put on a really good show - tail flukes and white fins slapping.
Unfortunately the bad - a ~20' Grady with twin yamahas, small radar on forward end of hardtop was extremely close - at one point even came in between the whales. And this wasn't a "oh, they came up to me" situation - he stayed around for a while and actively went to the whales. With all that' s going on just to the south of us with closures due to whale concerns, would have thought people would be on their best behavior. I tried to stick around to have a chat with them, but unfortunately was late already for an appointment. So if anyone knows this boat, please have a discussion with them regarding proper viewing.

Attachments

• 20180828_110950.jpg
    20180828_110950.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 146
Good/bad out at Kitty this am - good - hooked into a really nice fat spring around 8am - WAY too big to keep for 2 people - unfortunately no pics as I was by myself and didn't want to take it out of the water. Not a record breaker but easily into the 20lb range. Was at 160' on an anchovie. Dogfish quickly ate through my remaining bait (only brought 1/2 pack - I'm a bait miser).
Then around 11am 2 humpbacks put on a really good show - tail flukes and white fins slapping.
Unfortunately the bad - a ~20' Grady with twin yamahas, small radar on forward end of hardtop was extremely close - at one point even came in between the whales. And this wasn't a "oh, they came up to me" situation - he stayed around for a while and actively went to the whales. With all that' s going on just to the south of us with closures due to whale concerns, would have thought people would be on their best behavior. I tried to stick around to have a chat with them, but unfortunately was late already for an appointment. So if anyone knows this boat, please have a discussion with them regarding proper viewing.

He probably had his sounders on as well. What a shame! He looks to be no more than 50 from that whale (hard to be sure from a distant pic).

Fellow on facebook-campbell river reports hooked a fish at kitty with a white spoon and flasher already attached to the fish.
There was also a rod and reel still attached too!!

Anyone lose something out there???

Hey! Was it a Shimano rod and mooching Reel? White spoon??? OMG. I lost it last Saturday at the hump
Fellow on facebook-campbell river reports hooked a fish at kitty with a white spoon and flasher already attached to the fish.
There was also a rod and reel still attached too!!

Anyone lose something out there???
as

Hey! Was it a Shimano rod and mooching Reel? White spoon??? OMG. I lost it last Saturday at the hump

as
Sorry, it was likely a different rod and reel and white spoon! Haha of course it was. How amazing! Who gets to keep the fish?!

The person who netted it of course! :D
I have to say I am feeling pretty lucky today, not so lucky last Saturday. It was our first time doing a Derby And it ended up being a pretty sad day. Thanks to all involved Who helped us get reunited. And yes he can keep the fish plus a case of beer I am offering him

I have to say I am feeling pretty lucky today, not so lucky last Saturday. It was our first time doing a Derby And it ended up being a pretty sad day. Thanks to all involved Who helped us get reunited. And yes he can keep the fish plus a case of beer I am offering him

I think we need to hear the details of what happened?!?

I think we need to hear the details of what happened?!?
Okay, fair enough. Here is what happened:
On Saturday we headed out to the hump. We just got both balls down, Bob see’s the one down rigger wire is frayed and decided to bring the ball up for repair, not a good start to our first fishing derby. Trying to keep the vessel in the wind so Bob can fix the line, I look over my shoulder and see the lure dragging behind the boat. I said best put that rod in a holder before a salmon gets it. He nods and continues to work on the down rigger wiring. You can imagine what happens next. I hear him yell, the rod! Hurry turn the boat! I look over for the rod and there it is in the water, bobbing and a salmon attached, flopping on the surface. I make this really poor attempt at turning the boat towards the rod and loose sight of it, creating swells, and of course we have a line in the water and a ball banging the side of the boat. I think they call that a gong show. By the time I get the boat towards the rod once again, it’s completely gone. Complete silence in the boat there after. I didn’t need to say a word and there was no point adding salt to the wound. We just had to make the best of the rest of the day, hoping our rotten luck will change. As it turns out, we never did catch another Coho or Chinook. Just motored around, hoping to catch anything. Out of frustration, I posted in the Vancouver Island Salmon Fishing group. If you see a rod and reel at the hump, you can keep the salmon attached to it ! Of course I got alot of replies, like, "Oh, bad deal”, and “how big was the fish”. I thought, who knows, maybe someone will catch it. There had to be about 30 boats out there working a tight circuit.

This morning (Wednesday)at work. I get an email from my husband at home, he says someone posted in the BC Fishing Saltwater forum, that someone caught a rod and reel at the Kitty Coleman hump. I just about jumped out of my skin. I knew it was mine!

I logged into my account and replied to the forum. Next thing you know, I get messages from other people who saw my post on facebook too. A person in Vancouver island group is a member of the Campbell River Fishing group. He gave me the name of the person, who then finally messaged me. I gave him an in-depth detail description of the fishing rod and reel: He replied lets meet!
I can’t believe it. Our fishing disaster turned into a happy ending! This is why its invaluable to be part of this fishing forum and groups, had I not signed up, I may never had gotten the notification about the found rod. Thank you everyone! And on a happier note, my husband doesn't have to buy me a "make up rod and reel", he is off the hook :p

Back