2018 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Went out for a quick fish yesterday morning. Seemed a little on the slower side, although we did miss a few better fish. Launched from Comox marina. Sure is a long run around to kitty. Need to push for a boat launch for bigger boats on that side. Ferry spit area would be an awesome spot given the breakwater and drop off. Seems crazy we don't have a good launch around other than Comox.

Went out for a quick fish yesterday morning. Seemed a little on the slower side, although we did miss a few better fish. Launched from Comox marina. Sure is a long run around to kitty. Need to push for a boat launch for bigger boats on that side. Ferry spit area would be an awesome spot given the breakwater and drop off. Seems crazy we don't have a good launch around other than Comox.
There are ramps at Pacific Playground and Salmon Point. About a 20 min run to Kitty.

There are ramps at Pacific Playground and Salmon Point. About a 20 min run to Kitty.
There's also a shallow ramp at the K.C. Park. Keep in mind that Salmon Point is not a launch for low tides, nor K.C. so check your tables for >5feet at Mittlenatch.

Since nobody is updating figured I'd giver a go. Trolled around in tribune bay for a couple days in the afternoons on Wednesday and Thursday. Found a pretty good area in 200 feet that seemed to be holding bait, so worked it hard and gad very good success. Got 9 keeper springs to the boat and countless coho. Was able to keep the coho off once I switched to darker colours. Blue glow flasher and cop car skinny g caught all but 1 spring. The biggest one was around 20 and fell for a 502 hootchie with mylar insert and red hooks behind a purple haze flasher. All springs were caught dragging bottom and occasionally had over 300 feet of line out on the rigger.
Tight lines!!

kitty today 5-7 am trolled from 30 feet to 180 and turned to starboard 90 lines 180 white plugs two fish 11 lbs .one under .3 doggies .that was the worst water I have seen in my tinny for years.

Got out this morning and headed to the hump. A bit lumpy but it flattened out nicely. We got our 2 springs (1 each ) on plugs down deep and then got into a bunch of Coho. All wild and released. Got to see 3 or 4 humpbacks playing just off the the north end of the hump. Great to get out early and beat the mid day heat.

Got out today south end of hornby, One spring around 15lb three coho, 2 of which were hatchery.

Slow mid day fishing but overall good day.

Deep 250-280’. Hootchies.

Seems there is a bit of confusion on the opening of Comox Harbour area 14-11. One place, on DFO website, doesn't show that its open but the PDF shows that it is. As someone that has worked on this regulation for many years I would advise a person that wants to fish there that the bring a copy of the PDF with them as backup if the get checked. The pdf shows that it is open as it should be.
As with other rules in the SoG it's 1 per day and 2 pos for Chinook. Also note the Coho will open for 1 wild and 1 clip starting Sept 1.
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/co-chq/14-co-chq-eng.pdf

Latest from DFO Sub Area 14-11 ( outer Comox Harbour in Baynes Sound ) is now at 2 chinook per day. There is a notice to that effect on the DFO website

Got out to the Kitty Coleman hump today. Trolled deep with plugs for about an hour and nothing happening. Started jigging and managed to pull up about 7 Pacific Cod as well as a few doggies using some Delta jigs and a Shimano butterfly jig. None kept. Visibility was about 2km at best but the water was like glass.

Got out to the Kitty Coleman hump today. Trolled deep with plugs for about an hour and nothing happening. Started jigging and managed to pull up about 7 Pacific Cod as well as a few doggies using some Delta jigs and a Shimano butterfly jig. None kept. Visibility was about 2km at best but the water was like glass.
Please, what kind of Butterfly jig, was it a "flat sided" one? ........BB

Going to be on hornby for ten days with the boat. Looking forward to getting out and providing some reports. Hopefully still some fish around...

Kitty Coleman Hump this afternoon. Picked up a 12 pound spring on a 602 plug dragging near the bottom at 260 feet. Nothing after that. Started jigging but just doggies.
About 10 boats working around the hump. I did not notice any nets out but I wasn't paying close attention to the others. As always, just nice to get out on the water.

Dropped lines off hornby for the first time this summer. Had one rigger down before the line popped. Thought it was a tangle because the fishing line was wrapped around the rigger. Quickly realized there was a fish on and i ended up pulling the line up with my hands to avoid making the tangle. Got it into the net and it was a classic 13lb hornby football. Ten mins later was just getting second rod down when first one popped again. Beautiful ling cod that went into the box. No sea lice and was perfect size, big enough to keep but not too big i feel bad keeping it. Another 10lb spring a half hour later and we headed in with a good catch for our first night. Glass calm and was a beautiful first night on the water with the family.

Back