2018 Campbell River Reports

Fished Deepwater 6 am - 9 am. Two sockeye in the boat, three not so close. Usual gear, pink hootchy, green or red flasher 35 - 75'. Commercial boats made there presence.

Fished Green Can Thurs 10am - 2pm 4 chinook encounters; 2 under 1 lost 1 10# landed - saw no nets out from the 25-30 other boats big plugs & spoons @280ft.

Hit deep water bay this morning pretty slow for most boats. We lucked into two socks.
Couple of gill netters working didn't see them get much either.

There was about 30/40 boats. Hopefully the socks are still on their way down the straits. Seems to be getting a little late?

Fished Deep Water 07:20 - 10:30 this am. Nice run up from Campbell River, but left a bit late due
to going back to bed as it was raining at my usual start time. To old to fish in a open Whaler in the
rain.

Fished 2 rods, 4 dummy flashers, all green. Did not see any large schools on the sounder, saw only
1 Sockeye caught near me, saw one school pass me and tried to cut over and pick it up but no luck.

Saw 2 trollers working and 1 small gill netter. The trollers were getting some fish but not very steady.

Me, just 1 Pink, which was not netted, but released beside the boat.
Boat ran well and had a safe smooth trip, 6 gallons of gas used.

Gill netters finished tomorrow at 09:00, might try it again, maybe just to escape
Honey-to-List ? ........BB

Up here at B.B. now. staying at the marina. no sockeye around. Blinkhorn test set from Saturday was 295 sockeye in six sets. not good. they are still getting them up north so maybe soon?! managed a smaller chinook at least...:

test sets not looking great still

Attachments

• 4A58D3CF-09DB-47B2-BB1A-A5DE7CE96F58.jpeg
    4A58D3CF-09DB-47B2-BB1A-A5DE7CE96F58.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 44
I guess the sockeye decided to take the outside this year.

I wonder if the chinooks are doing the same thing?

Fishing for springs north of Seymour narrows was by far the worst I’ve seen in the past 4 years.

I guess the sockeye decided to take the outside this year.

I wonder if the chinooks are doing the same thing?

Fishing for springs north of Seymour narrows was by far the worst I’ve seen in the past 4 years.

glass half full still lots up north? i wonder if anyone is catching them in Nodales, maybe they’re going back side of Sonora? i haven’t ventured into Nodales since late June.

Sorry to hear the sox haven't shown in the passage. Fished up there my whole life, down in Vancouver now but still make a trip to BB every summer. No place in the province I'd rather troll on a calm sunny day than "green sea". Decided not to this summer, and it seems like I didn't miss a whole lot. No expert but have a friend in Sooke and sox fishing is great there this year, guess they really did take the outside.

glass half full still lots up north? i wonder if anyone is catching them in Nodales, maybe they’re going back side of Sonora? i haven’t ventured into Nodales since late June.

Spoke to a guide on the dock at Discovery Marina in the 2nd week of August. He said Chinook fishing was “dead” north of town.

He said boats were getting “2 or 3” Chinook bites on a trip.

Most of the guides run up to Nodales and past browns bay / deepwater.

Reminds me of slower years a decade or so ago. When it slowed near the narrows we would run to rock bay in Johnstone to get at them before they split at Chatham. Or even fishing Chatham can make the difference. 2-3 years ago we'd fish all day at green sea for not even a bite. Went to Chatham the next day and limited out..

Reminds me of slower years a decade or so ago. When it slowed near the narrows we would run to rock bay in Johnstone to get at them before they split at Chatham. Or even fishing Chatham can make the difference. 2-3 years ago we'd fish all day at green sea for not even a bite. Went to Chatham the next day and limited out..

i was staying at B.B. last weekend; no one is catching sox at Chatham with any regularity either; having sed that the OBMG boys were working the bay north of B.B with their clients and picking up smaller fish; could be sox i wasn’t close enough i gave up on sox and started spring fishing.

Last edited:
Gill Netters are open again; 29 Aug, 1800 - 0800hrs 31 Aug, areas 11,12,& 13; so there
must be more Sockeye coming down you would think???

If it is not raining tomorrow morning I may give Deep Water a early try.
Wrong tide for an morning run to Green Sea, as I only do well there on the flood.

Any one have any thoughts on this? ........ BB

Fished Sat & Sun, stacking rods 5 Sox in the boat on Saturday, lost a couple right beside the boat (sigh) had to work pretty hard, only 1 double header and landed both, 90’ was working well.
Sunday very slow 1 double header landed both and picked up one more , 75’ for all 3
Hoping the long weekend coming up yields more fish,

Back