2018 Campbell River Reports

Out Sunday morning 90+ boats, coho after coho. Did pulled up 2 nice springs 18 and 16.
Think next trip will head North just to change it up for the scenery if nothing else. Although I have heard some whispers behind closed doors that there are a few fish start to show up.

Heading to Miracle beach area tomorrow... anyone had any luck at Sentry Shoal lately. Have not fished it before.

Have not been to the shoal in a week and half or so, south Quadra island (green can, red can) have been pretty good the last few evenings, if you can sift through all of the coho....
I may go to sentry on sunday.

Good luck!

Planning on renting a boat from salmon point marina. Could use any advice on fishing that area. What area/troll/jig....ect I usual fish Sooke area. And not use to up island area

Thanks for the help

Planning on renting a boat from salmon point marina. Could use any advice on fishing that area. What area/troll/jig....ect I usual fish Sooke area. And not use to up island area

Thanks for the help

They rent boats?I had no idea...anyways i will assume they are outfitted with down riggers; CR is hard to fish cause opposing tides are almost always converging....
to make it easy fish the last half of an ebb tide and troll north west. your DR lines will mostly behave and not have major blowback.adjust your boat accordingly. half of the hump is closed july 15 north of the red can but to be more specific check the regs. fish latter half of the flood for the same reason and troll South east-ish. i normally setup south end of the hump and aim towards mitlenatch island. follow the contour from the red can to green can. hug the bottom with flasher and hootchie. try a blue meany or a jack smith. 2.5-2.8 sog

Yesterday, 28 July 18 around 0900. Went to the Green Can, started with roughly 25 boats in the area, to close to 60. Fishing action was hot. Watching others putting up a fight. Within the first 30min. I hooked on to a biggie. We were trolling a 260 ft, using a white coyote spoon with Green Flasher, took it off the ball. After some playing, we landed her, a big 23lb Chinook. Beauty. My guy got him self a nice size coho, using the green army truck and a Black and White Flasher. When we filleted her, I was amazed to see the size of bait in her belly, looked like an 8 inch long cream coloured sable fish maybe??? Not sure. Great day overall, nice calm waters. Checked out Kitty on the way back to Comox and Lazo, not too many boats there.

Attachments

• 38032591_10160808589080714_5446539377717018624_n.jpg
    38032591_10160808589080714_5446539377717018624_n.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 238
Yesterday, 28 July 18 around 0900. Went to the Green Can, started with roughly 25 boats in the area, to close to 60. Fishing action was hot. Watching others putting up a fight. Within the first 30min. I hooked on to a biggie. We were trolling a 260 ft, using a white coyote spoon with Green Flasher, took it off the ball. After some playing, we landed her, a big 23lb Chinook. Beauty. My guy got him self a nice size coho, using the green army truck and a Black and White Flasher. When we filleted her, I was amazed to see the size of bait in her belly, looked like an 8 inch long cream coloured sable fish maybe??? Not sure. Great day overall, nice calm waters. Checked out Kitty on the way back to Comox and Lazo, not too many boats there.
Nice slab! If you said that weighed 30 I would have believed you lol

Fished the red can and green can today from 7 till about noon, lots of wild coho and lots of pinks but no Chinook. Didn't see much caught out there for the number of boats.

We edited the initial post figuring we needed to honour this fish with some more details. I was just too bagged to do so yesterday.

A buddy of mine (Fish Assassin) invited me out for a fishing trip. I have been out with him quite a few times, he is very generous. His name is Owen and he is one of the founding members of the Sportfishing BC Forum. He does not post anymore there but his knowledge and generosity lives on behind all the mayhem we all enjoy.

He asked me to meet him at his place in Courtenay at 4:30 am so we could figure out the tides and weather to see what area would be good to fish. I slept in and got to his place after 5:00. We made the decision to go to Pacific Playgrounds and launch as we could load up on tackle at the Tackle Shack as it always seems to be open before 6am and has a great selection of tackle and excellent coffee.

Well the plan was to try and hit the Shoals at south Quadra, as we did, but we missed the bite and the bait had moved to deeper waters already.

We trolled large plugs, then spoons at, can you believe this? 400 feet. We hooked 6 fish but I could not land them. After sleeping in and missing all these fish I thought the Captain was ready to send me swimming. A short time later, we brought in a Chinook weighing about 1 pound. Owen offered me a high five but I was too ashamed to accept his cheeky gesture. The next fish was about 10-12lbs that Owen played and on my rod I had fun bringing up a Rockfish. When I was done descending the Quillback rock fish he said here you can land this one. Dam was it easy gaffing it, only to find out he had already cracked it with the gaff and had left it hanging on the line for me to land.Then at noon, the wind had been reported to the Captain that it had kicked up to south of us.

We decided to make a last short pass before racing for Pacific Playgrounds. We decided to put the Tomic Pride Plug down and soon after that we hooked something and I said 'this doesn't feel right.' Owen says keep at it you have a salmon on. Well that was the case. It was sulking on the bottom. It finally came to the surface from the abyss to show itself twice. Beauty jumps. I thought for sure I was going to lose it. My confidence was a little wounded.

After a crazy fight, lots of instructions being shouted, the fish neared the boat and there were at least two times that we thought it was going to get off. The Captain says this could be a Tyee. It was tense, but moments later Owen expertly nets the biggest fish I ever seen. He looks at me and says, could be 40.

Now the ride home, OMG.... That report he received came true. We bucked our way home in SE winds, waves crashing over the top and sides of his boats. Only able to manage 8-12mph it was a long trip back to the scale. But those Shockwave seats sure were nice!

I was staying in Qualicum and could not fit the fish in my cooler so it stayed with the Captain for processing, maybe candy? It turned out to be a white.

Really enjoyed using the new Amundson rods and reels. Those TMX5's are awesome, loved the way they retrieved line evenly on the spool and easy to adjust drag.

Thank you Fish Assassin!

Attachments

• 73B2DC99-40D8-40AA-9243-A0467A834CC2.jpeg
    73B2DC99-40D8-40AA-9243-A0467A834CC2.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 389
  • 94860650-7673-45E7-B026-94DAE8648726.jpeg
    94860650-7673-45E7-B026-94DAE8648726.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Back