2018 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

I fished the Rats Nose both Saturday afternoon and Sunday. It was a bouncy ride out both days taking about 1.5 hours from Bamfield. Saturday afternoon was very successful, catching our limit of 6 chinook and one hatchery coho from 2 pm to 4 pm. Weights for chinooks ranged from 10 to 14 pounds. 5 of them were hatchery chinooks. We cycled through some spoons and hootchies and bait. It seemed the best performing gear was small anchovy with a green flasher at 150 feet. Upon cleaning the fish that evening, I found the coho and several of the chinook had fresh 7 inch herring inside. On Sunday morning we fished with small anchovy and medium herring on teaser heads, one each side. Slow start at first but finally started catching, finishing with two chinook each side for a total of 4. Same size range as Saturday. We quit salmon fishing around noon and targeted halibut in the area but only landed one small 10 pounder. Other anglers commented on Saturday night that halibut fishing was slow. On Sunday afternoon we also got into a school of Pacific grey cod which I chose to move out of but now regret it. I kept two small ones and found them to be excellent to eat!

Fished in the fog this morning - abundant shakers. We shook off about 40 in 3 hours. Did manage 3 small keeper springs so far. The fish seem to like sardine patterns and blue reflex glow 4"Coyote spoons at 65 to 85 feet. We'll try to get offshore if the fog lifts tomorrow morning.

Update:

Talked with a friend who just got back from a couple days staying at the nook. Tough fishing for them on the inside. Lots of smaller shakers . They killed 3 Chinook over two days. Biggest was 10lbs. Sounds like offshore is the place to be.

Slow fishing yesterday morning except for shakers but picked up 2 nice fish at Kirby in the afternoon. 9# and 17# springs. Fished Skinny G spoons in sardine pattern and at 65 feet near the beach.

Today in the fog at Kirby we caught a 10# Coho, lost a nice Spring at the boat and caught another spring. Headed to 7 mile in the afternoon and picked up 2 hatchery Coho and a 16 pound Spring. The fish liked a Skinny G.

Down at the cabin with friends for the weekend. Fished Swale Saturday morning. Got a 18# (45' Green flasher and Herring Aid Spoon) and a 6# (55' Green Flasher, White hoochie) spring then just shakers. Trolled to Cree and just hit shakers along the way. Pulled up just before noon and headed back in for lunch. Went out for the afternoon bite along Bamfield where we got one keeper and more shakers. Had a quick visit with Brian McKay (McKay Bay Lodge) while getting gas. He knew of Gilles 40+# but he said it was slow inside. Tides and moon should line up for a good Long weekend.

Last edited:
Headed to Bamfield for the weekend, will be fishing aug 5,6,7. Forecast calls for rain, so hopefully doesn't drive all the big ones upstream.
Are fresh fish still on their way in from offshore?
Fire me a PM if you're is interested in grabbing a beer up there.

FD - what # leader do you run on spoons 40? Would it be worth it to gear up to 60#? I hate getting my leaders sawed off by big fish on the take down.

Headed to Bamfield for the weekend, will be fishing aug 5,6,7. Forecast calls for rain, so hopefully doesn't drive all the big ones upstream.
Are fresh fish still on their way in from offshore?
Fire me a PM if you're is interested in grabbing a beer up there.
Just finished a 4 day it was tough inside two to three good hits a day. Shakers seemed to moved on from 30/40 to 3 today. We found bait and pounded it ended up with 26/18/17/16/16 and a couple of nice coho. Best for us was bloody nose at 40 feet Ling fishing was good on rock poles at 2 mile

Nice report Sea.p.p. we will be down on the 14th for 10 days , good to hear a few coho around , i thought i knew Bamfield waters fairly well , but would you mind sharing the location on the rock poles @ 2 mile ? is this off of Beal ?
the bloody nose has always worked the best for us for quite a few years now .

Nice report Sea.p.p. we will be down on the 14th for 10 days , good to hear a few coho around , i thought i knew Bamfield waters fairly well , but would you mind sharing the location on the rock poles @ 2 mile ? is this off of Beal ?
Isle 4 on your left, halfway down just above the popcorn.

Yes off Beale and fish any rock pile that is 10/15 feet

Good iam heading over Friday. Just the wife and I are going. If the weather is good. I like to get off shore.

Back