2018 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Tough slugging this weekend. Friday afternoon 3 Coho in Kelp bay and lost 3. Saturday morning at whittlesone got 1 Coho in the boat and lost 1 coho right at the boat. Had a nice spring up to the boat then seen a brown flash in the water and then the fish (sea lion) ran for 300 yrds. After a brief struggle got the flasher back. Sunday tried Pill, blood bay, then hoffart bay to diplock. Nothing but seals and sea lions. Fished spoons, chovies and hoochies. Nothing on the spoons, three hits on the anchovies and the rest were all on hoochies (white with a green dot and a semi translucent with glitter. Both tied with twinkle inserts).

Tough slugging this weekend. Friday afternoon 3 Coho in Kelp bay and lost 3. Saturday morning at whittlesone got 1 Coho in the boat and lost 1 coho right at the boat. Had a nice spring up to the boat then seen a brown flash in the water and then the fish (sea lion) ran for 300 yrds. After a brief struggle got the flasher back. Sunday tried Pill, blood bay, then hoffart bay to diplock. Nothing but seals and sea lions. Fished spoons, chovies and hoochies. Nothing on the spoons, three hits on the anchovies and the rest were all on hoochies (white with a green dot and a semi translucent with glitter. Both tied with twinkle inserts).
We did okay at whittlestone with 3 springs and 1 coho and lost a big coho to a sea lion all on bait.Saturday was the tough day for us with one coho. If we had better luck on both days would have been good as we had 3 nice hits both days with no hook ups. Wonder how they miss when using trailers. No love on hooches all weekend .

Fished out of China Creek on Monday. Started a bit late around 9 am. Fished everywhere for around 5 hours without a bump. Headed out to Pill, Diplock, Holford Bay and hammered those areas for around 4 hours. Again, nothing.
Stayed in China Creek and were fishing first light on Tuesday. Fished until noon and called it. Fished 4 rods the entire time. 2 always had anchovies and the other two we kept mixing up. Used plugs, spoons, hootchies and even apex.
Not a sniff in close to 20 hours fishing. Lots of stuff on the sounder. Very frustrating day and a half. I figured we would at least get into some coho and maybe the odd late spring. Nada.

Fished Friday evening to this morning. Poett Nook all the way to Bamfield.
Swale, Austin, Cree, etc. Found some bottom dwellers.
While Ian was dropping gear for coho off the Harbour Entrance, we had a solid hit, he gave the Peetz to his Grandad but what looked like a high teens spring made a run into the motor. Oh well, it would have been great to see a grandfather/grandson combo land a nice one!
Good times.

The sea lions are having a field day out there. They are EVERYWHERE.

Went out on Monday for a couple hours of jigging a few miles outside of Bamfield, it was pretty slow. Still learning the area so not sure if the place had a name?? Also tried my first attempt at prawning, a few hour soak in the inlet. I didn't max out but did get enough to make a meal. But what threw me off was I caught slime eels! ive heard the name before but never saw one until pulled my trap. Oh my god the thickness of that slime was insane! Do people catch them quite often? is there a way not to target them? lol I had one in each set. Is it just the area I dropped my nets in?

Not using canned cat food has seemed to work for me with eliminating hagfish. I use the pellets, ground up with herring oil in areas that I know hagfish are present.

there everywhere this year ,had 7 in one trap on one pull in july , nastiest **** ta clean ,
bait didnt matter for me , seemed like there were less in the fall ,
theres a commercial fishery for these , hopefully they hit it hard , big ship , mostly setting in deep water right in the middle
havent seen it in a couple years ,
found them more concentrated in deeper water ,
hoping the cooler weather reduces the catch and mess

fd

Down to the cabin for the weekend to do some work. Set prawn traps in two different spots for a 24hr soak. Nothing in one spot. 26 prawns in another. No slime eels. 1 with eggs that went back right away. Seen a half dozen or more sea lions.

Back