2018 Alberni Inlet Reports

It's just an other fishery burnt down like so many others in the past.Thanks DFO for all of your wisdom.

Matt, have the posted the harvest numbers already taken for this year buddy?

Date: July 12, 2018

Somass Sockeye Stock Assessment Update

Test Fishery: Seine vessel Nita Maria tested July 8st to 10th. Estimate 3,500 inside 10-mile Point, and 5,000 outside.

Catch Estimate: 77,494

Somass First Nations – 32,451
Maa-nulth First Nations – 17,990
Area D Gillnet – 10,785
Area B Seine – 6,075
Recreational – 5,439
Test Fishery – 4,754

Was out early this morning to try to wrangle up some sockeye. Started around Nahmint running small white hoochies and bare black hooks in depths ranging from 40-160. The water was a bit of a desert according to my sonar and saw very little in the way of bait. Worked our way back towards China Creek to avoid the commercial opening. Things got much more interesting on the sonar in around 220’ of water off Arden Creek. That said we only managed to hook into very small chinooks and one surprised looking cod. A gorgeous calm morning made up for it.
Also managed to absolutely hammer a monster deadhead roughly off the Quay on the way back to the launch in Alberni. It was floating just under the surface and impossible to see until we were almost right on it. Cut power and hit it with a solid thunk. Managed to avoid damaging anything but it made me glad Salty Alice is a solid metal beast. Didn’t have any markers so we went to the launch to get some and went back out and marked the *******.
Very cool of you to mark that.

Question for any of you Alberni fishermen . Is there any change in the fisheries regs in the inlet? Any further reports of a possible late run of socks?? Just hoping thanx in advance for any reply. C.A.

Question for any of you Alberni fishermen . Is there any change in the fisheries regs in the inlet? Any further reports of a possible late run of socks?? Just hoping thanx in advance for any reply. C.A.
Pretty sure its over for this year

Somass Chinook Stock Assessment Update

Pre-season forecast:

The forecast terminal return of adult Stamp/RCH chinook to Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet in 2018 is approximately 83,000 (range 60,000 to 105,000). This is about an average return and similar tp last year. The predicted adult age composition is 35%, 56% and 19% of 3, 4 and 5-year old fish, respectively.

Chinook Escapement – to August 8th - 38

Stamp Falls - 38 chinook and 31 coho

Sproat- 0 chinook and 48 coho

Somass Sockeye escapement – 179,297

Catch Estimate: Available next bulletin

NEXT WEEK'S FISHING PLANS:

First Nations

Tsu-ma-uss (Hupacasath, Tseshaht)

Food Social and Ceremonial (FSC)- Hook and Line open 7 days a week in Alberni Inlet.

FSC gillnet will open daily 8 pm to 5am starting Tuesday night August 14 ending Thursday morning August 16 from Paper Mill Dam Pool in the Somass River to Hocking Point. (~30 vessels participating)

Commercial

Area D Gillnet – No fishery planned

Area B - No fishery planned

Recreational

· Area 23 is closed to sockeye retention

· Chinook Conservation Measures now in effect

· Stamp River and freshwater sections of the Somass River open August 25 for Chinook and coho retention.

· See http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s23-eng.html for details

For more information please contact the DFO office in Port Alberni at 250 720-4440

Of my close to 40 years of fishing, today was one of the best! By 8am my dad and I had our 4, he wanted to go in but I convinced him to stay. We put the net away and decided to tail everything. I made him play every fish but 2,he was done about 11;30 when he said it was his best day ever and cant reel anymore lol. Total for the morning was 10 fish in the boat and 22 on with 2 doubles and 2 triples

Cleaning tables busy today at China Creek. Lots of Chinook in the high teens caught. Some dog fish caught in the inlet. Fishing report #2 attached.

Attachments

• Area 23 Chinook Bulletin # 2.pdf
    187.2 KB · Views: 189
Watch for nets if you are travelling the inlet.
The Area D gill net fishery in Alberni Inlet opens for 8 hours from 21:00 hours
August 22 to 05:00 hours August 23, 2018 in the following area (Hocking Point
to the Harbour Quay Clock Tower):

Nothing for us this morning at Lone Tree. Quite a few boats out but not too bad. Saw one boat very close to the point land a smallish one. Back at Clutesi my marina neighbour reported 2 to the boat - his secret was anchovies.

Some coho caught in Bells Bay. Coyote spoons, 25 to 40 ft early morning. Springs were caught at high tide slack on anchovies at south boundary.

went 2 for 5 this morning at bell... I'm back there tomorrow morning
Just followed Derby around Bell's Bay this am:p. Had fun around 7 or so when deep rod (47' green and white hootchie) hits hard. My wife grabs the rod and my son takes the shallow rod (35' anchovy green head teaser) to clear the back. His rod goes off and screams out line. Her rod is flying East/West while his continues to go hard South then really had back at the boat. He reels with all he has to retrieve and it goes due South again, really hard...and his knuckles met his first Peetz reel :).

Anyways, we landed about a 10 pound coho and a beautiful 20+ spring. Nothing else for fish but a great time for sure!

Last edited:
Back