2018 Alberni Inlet Reports

We fished 3 days and got possession limits of sockeye. It was okay but not hot. We trolled Dunsmuir up to the Sproat Narrows using pink and dark blue squirts. Leaders around 24 inches seemed to be best. Most of the fish are on the small side.
I'm heading to China Creek on Tuesday, going to stay until Saturday. I've been watching the Sproat River cams and it makes me nervous with the cool weather and the rain that the fish are heading right up the river. Hopefully that's not the case. Going to head out to Barkley a couple of times while there too

Fished for sockeye till 11 this morning. Not a bite. From lone tree to nahmint. Various depths. 75 boats at nahmint saw 2 small fish caught

Since the sockeye is slow is there anywhere to get a few crab around china creek? Any thing would be appreciated!

Since the sockeye is slow is there anywhere to get a few crab around china creek? Any thing would be appreciated!

I want to go crabbing in the inlet as well but the old timers who fished in the inlet for decades said that crabbing is better in Barkley Sound.

Any recent reports from the inlet? Heading there tomorrow for five days
Very slow, waters cold, was there for 3 days and seen half a dozen fish caught, got 2 sockeye my self and lots of undersized shaker springs, sorry for the bad news!

Very slow, waters cold, was there for 3 days and seen half a dozen fish caught, got 2 sockeye my self and lots of undersized shaker springs, sorry for the bad news!
Thanks for that. If the sockeye fishing is really slow, our back up plan is to run out to Barkley Sound and fish springs and coho.

Just got back from China Creek there was three of us we got are limit. But I agree think the water is two cold and the commercial guys started at 10:00 today

Was out early this morning to try to wrangle up some sockeye. Started around Nahmint running small white hoochies and bare black hooks in depths ranging from 40-160. The water was a bit of a desert according to my sonar and saw very little in the way of bait. Worked our way back towards China Creek to avoid the commercial opening. Things got much more interesting on the sonar in around 220’ of water off Arden Creek. That said we only managed to hook into very small chinooks and one surprised looking cod. A gorgeous calm morning made up for it.
Also managed to absolutely hammer a monster deadhead roughly off the Quay on the way back to the launch in Alberni. It was floating just under the surface and impossible to see until we were almost right on it. Cut power and hit it with a solid thunk. Managed to avoid damaging anything but it made me glad Salty Alice is a solid metal beast. Didn’t have any markers so we went to the launch to get some and went back out and marked the *******.

Was out early this morning to try to wrangle up some sockeye. Started around Nahmint running small white hoochies and bare black hooks in depths ranging from 40-160. The water was a bit of a desert according to my sonar and saw very little in the way of bait. Worked our way back towards China Creek to avoid the commercial opening. Things got much more interesting on the sonar in around 220’ of water off Arden Creek. That said we only managed to hook into very small chinooks and one surprised looking cod. A gorgeous calm morning made up for it.
Also managed to absolutely hammer a monster deadhead roughly off the Quay on the way back to the launch in Alberni. It was floating just under the surface and impossible to see until we were almost right on it. Cut power and hit it with a solid thunk. Managed to avoid damaging anything but it made me glad Salty Alice is a solid metal beast. Didn’t have any markers so we went to the launch to get some and went back out and marked the *******.
Kudos to you for taking the time to mark the deadhead. You potentially avoided someone screwing up their boat or their day's fishing .

Noticed lots of marked deadheads in the inlet running back yesterday. Kudos to SA and everyone who takes the time to mark them. Any good place to pick up marker sticks so I can contribute when I go out? Cheers.

Noticed lots of marked deadheads in the inlet running back yesterday. Kudos to SA and everyone who takes the time to mark them. Any good place to pick up marker sticks so I can contribute when I go out? Cheers.

The office at the launch for Clutesi has a stack of them by the door. We didn't have one on us at the time so I sacrificed a scale that had a sharp hook on it and hammered it in with an orange bag tied to it, then went in and got a spike and went back out. How awesome will it be in the future when we all have image recognition cams on our boats that automatically spy and tag debris to a realtime community-driven AIS-type system for crap in the water? Of course, by then the sea lions will have eaten all the salmon...

Back