2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

How long of a leader do you run with that spoon and the anchovy spoon for winters?

I go Sandlance 28", Anchovy 32" and Herring 36" for winter chinook in the 4" length spoons. And then a tad less or more with the 3" and 5" versions. By end of summer I generally am just under double all those lengths. Many would run them differently with great results also, but these lengths seem to work for me.

Hi
I am thinking about coming down for some fishing this weekend any one suggest some spots? Is there halibut in victoria area or just out towards sooke?

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks
Jay

There are Halibut everywhere from Sidney to Jordan river but not too many will share their
favorite spots. You have to look at local charts ,find structure, gravel bars , mud flats etc.
drift or anchor 150'to 300' deep using whole herring, salmon bellies or grubs.
not easy to dial in on a day trip.

There are Halibut everywhere from Sidney to Jordan river but not too many will share their
favorite spots. You have to look at local charts ,find structure, gravel bars , mud flats etc.
drift or anchor 150'to 300' deep using whole herring, salmon bellies or grubs.
not easy to dial in on a day trip.

Not a good halibut day for us yesterday
All three of the boats in our crowd got skunked.
Beautiful day to be on the water though, until the Westerly came up just before noon!

You'll have fun with Foggy,if he can't find you a Hali nobody can.

How is Blue Wolf doing with hali so far. I know he is out regularly with his form members special charters.
He and his guests are usually so good about reporting on their trips...miss the reports...how about it guys.

Went out for a solo 3 hours tour this am. I had 2 double headers and another hit near the end. All around the freighters parked out front. Kept the big fish (8lbs).

Went out with wolf the other day. 3 good halibut hit the deck, was a good day as always.
thanks for the report Kildonan
Our only time out this season came up with a big zero
Will give it go on the next set of tides and report hopefully some success!

great day on the water near border, dropped the pic at around 7 ,water was like a pond!!!! but the current was smoking but still fishable, at one point i think i had about 700 feet out lol -turned at around 12 then nailed a beauty 50 then lost another ,then doggies till about 3. then the wind picked up and we booked. was really happy to end the day checking our crab traps to find they had been cleaned out by f----ng douche bags!!!!! just left the doors open and threw them back in- some people are just sad !!! 355 was the depth- sand all day

great day on the water near border, dropped the pic at around 7 ,water was like a pond!!!! but the current was smoking but still fishable, at one point i think i had about 700 feet out lol -turned at around 12 then nailed a beauty 50 then lost another ,then doggies till about 3. then the wind picked up and we booked. was really happy to end the day checking our crab traps to find they had been cleaned out by f----ng douche bags!!!!! just left the doors open and threw them back in- some people are just sad !!! 355 was the depth- sand all day

We were out today around constance bank 250 nothing for us. It was my first time for halibut so was not expecting much, but hoping for something. I figured out how to use my anchor retrieval set up

Just curious what general area you were in? If you don't mind me asking

Jay

Last edited:
We were out today around constance bank 250 nothing for us. It was my first time for halibut so was not expecting much, but hoping for something. I figured out how to use my anchor retrieval set up

Just curious what genetal area you were in? If you don't mind me asking

Jay
near border bank

Back