2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

I went out on Constance on Saturday for a couple of hrs, lots of nice feeders again up to 7lbs. They seem to vary in size and had to let a few smaller ones go before I kept two but it was a lot of fun! I've heard of a few nice fish coming off the waterfront but action was hot on the bank. Crabbing is ok - seems most of the crabs were just under the limit..

Fished Constance on Thursday in that little weather window. 1 for 1 winter spring at 140ft on bottom in 2hrs so happy with that. Saw 5 other boats but only two shakers released. Saw 3 boats (was one of them Wolf?) at Oak Bay side of Trial on way out but no one on way back. 6 keepers in 2 crab traps.

Tried for prawns off Brotchie but only 20 Coonstripe shrimp in 4hr soak. 2lb anchor and chain rigged breakaway was plenty with 550ft line in 220ft water. Second trailing float on 20ft extra rope was SO important. Gear worked great but need to hit up LastChance for better numbers I think. :)

The other day was solid off the front, 14 fish landed and a limit of 6-10lbrs. Only a couple shakers, majority were right around the legal limit. All we kept were hatchery too.

Attachments

• 15935828_1735369609823155_1173906085_n.jpg
    15935828_1735369609823155_1173906085_n.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Went out Sunday morning - constance was too rough so we spent 20mins off the waterfront and brought 3 to the boat. Two smaller but one was around 7lbs hatchery. The winter fishing has been really good but the weather has limited the days out..

Just one small keeper for me today, near Albert Head. It was on the bottom in 120'. Caught with a No Bananas spoon. Let a couple of smaller ones go. Lots of crabs in the traps but all were too small. Others at the dock seemed to do better. I'm not complaining though, it was nice to get out, even if it was a bit chilly.

Out today for first time since October. Fished waterfront from 11 - 2. Kept 4, released 3 and lost 2. Bait in green glow teaser head and glow cop car spoon were producing with riggers at 160' in 200'+ water between Brochie and flag pole. About a dozen or so other boats out there all seemed to be reeling fish.

Lot's of fish off the waterfront today although most were small.
did anybody hear how big the winner in the Trotac derby was ?

We got lots of small ones today, there were a few at weigh in time that were 10 - 12 pounds that I saw.

Thanks to Trotac for putting on a great derby and the estimate was around $10,000 raised for Esq Angler net pen project (if it is approved).

I was out with some friends and we had an awesome day. Started out on Constance for the morning current change and the first fish of the day for us ended up being the #2 fish in the derby worth $1500! Once the current started ripping we headed back in to the waterfront and decided to try inside the crowds and found some steady action in 80'. We immediately got into a double header and landed both. Almost immediately after we had the fish of the day on the line and I very successfully 'released' it with the net right by the boat....Oooops! No complaints though with perfect conditions and well over a dozen fish to the boat. Between the 5 of us on board we kept a 13.8, 9, 7, 6, and 6. AP herring spoon had a ton of action and not surprisingly there was some big herring (9-10") in one of the bellies.

Was out yesterday from 11 - 3. Beautiful day after the rain stopped. Light wind and sunny skies.
Picked up 2, one so small I'd have felt bad keeping it so we let it go. The other was about a 6 lb'er.
Had one that didn't stick.
All between Brotchie & the flagpole in about 120'.
On the bottom with glow and green spoons (Peetz hookum and a Pt. Defiance) produced for us.

Visited Constance on Saturday, in 3 hrs we got one at 8.5lbs and one at 6lbs and lost a couple. No bananas spoon/flasher was hot right on the bottom anywhere from 70-110'. Spoke to two boats that worked the waterfront all morning and came up empty. Pulled the traps on the way in for our limit of dungeness

Back