2017 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

Just wrapped up 3 days out of ukie. Friday fished RN few other boats out there but fishing very slow compared to previous Sunday. Saturday joined all the boats at south bank and did ok there with 23 1/2# the biggest and 10# smallest. Today started at Hyson and picked up a couple then moved back to south bank and got a couple more before leaving for the day. Overall fishing for us was pretty slow with lots of effort to limit.

We found the same we had a tough go yeaterday got a cpl 12s at outside lighthouse decided to head to big bank never got there till 1 and only got 1 coho tried for hali and nothing... Went back and limited quick this morning at lighthouse biggest at 19 then went to starfish and tried for hali for 3 hours nothing again all in all was fun...

Fished last week out of ukie Took our biggest springer at lighthouse on a kitchen sing spoon naked with the flasher on the ball at 49 ft. The coho really showed up and will take hootchies and chovies It was tough for Hali for us only found two really small. Lots of pacific mackerel drowning your rod So best to check often

Back from 3 days at Ukie as of Tuesday night. Fishing has slowed down compared to last week, still a few bigger fish along the beach at the Lighthouse and up at Wya (guides all up there). Anchovies and small spoons with green working along the beach. We had 2 nice fish on an AP needlefish with the moonjelly/silver pattern and then it got "bent" with a gaff........ Went offshore Monday and had non stop coho action plus some springs and... 2 Atlantics. Weather was hot and cold and windy sometimes....must be the west coast. All in all an ok trip but we worked for our fish.

Here's my report in reverse order. Fished Big Bank Wednesday. Took us too long to figure out that there weren't any mature springs among the smalls, cohoes, and grilse at 75-130ft. We eventually found them 160-bottom. Best luck was on a 4" tubby rvp (numbers are too small for my eyes to read), but it is a pukey brown/gold/mud green iridescent plug that matched the algae stained water. 230 feet of cable in 200 feet of water. Biggest was a 22lbs white that shot from the bottom to make a few leaps way back and then beside the boat.
Tuesday we went to Wya and got 2 first thing on small spoons and a third many hours later.
Monday I slept in. Trolled salmon at South Bank for an hour and caught 15 immature springs. Didn't try the bottom. Then I went to a spot Ironnoggin gave me years ago. It's still a secret. I used the anchor system that I pieced together for about $100. Including a $5.00 garage sale buoy. After about 30 minutes I lost one about 120cm beside the boat with an impatient ****-poor shark hook maneuver. When I found a banana in my lunch, I couldn't decide whether I should just go in as all hope was gone, or wait it out. I waited. I had a nap. I jigged a stingsilda and caught a pink by the dorsal fin. His belly became bait. I had another nap. At 3:30, I gave myself a 4:0o pm deadline since I had to pull my boat to fish with my buddy the next day. Got one on at 3:58. 108cm. Shark hook in the mouth this time. This one bit on the side with the green blinker. So 50/50 on the light/non-light.
Sunday, I started at Wya. It was slow for me. Buggered around on Inside Lighthouse and Outside South for not much. Anchored for a while. No hali.
Went to Cree when the wind came up. Lots of shakers. Anchored up inside for a nap. I wanted to fish the evening, since I never have in many trips to Ukee. Got a decent spring at Gibraltar. Waved at the Springfever 2 near Swale. Long day.
Saturday was good for me at Wya. Went 2 for 4 by 10:00am on 14 to a pack anchovies. I went out to figure a few things out with my new hali anchor system. Set and pulled it a few times. I've read all the threads many times. It worked fine. Toughest part was gauging how far/ long to pull to get the chain through the ring. Sitting low in a tiller boat in swells, it was hard to see how the ball was behaving. I figured it would take a bit of practice and it did.
My season is over after 5 trips. Never had the lights out fishing of some summers, but there is plenty in my freezers to enjoy and share.
Cost saving tips: Use the Save-on Rewards program for free ferry rides, and when pulling the trailer find out when the discounted over-length deals are. $120 vs $205 for a 40" foot rig. Sleep in a tent.

Here's my report in reverse order. Fished Big Bank Wednesday. Took us too long to figure out that there weren't any mature springs among the smalls, cohoes, and grilse at 75-130ft. We eventually found them 160-bottom. Best luck was on a 4" tubby rvp (numbers are too small for my eyes to read), but it is a pukey brown/gold/mud green iridescent plug that matched the algae stained water. 230 feet of cable in 200 feet of water. Biggest was a 22lbs white that shot from the bottom to make a few leaps way back and then beside the boat.
Tuesday we went to Wya and got 2 first thing on small spoons and a third many hours later.
Monday I slept in. Trolled salmon at South Bank for an hour and caught 15 immature springs. Didn't try the bottom. Then I went to a spot Ironnoggin gave me years ago. It's still a secret. I used the anchor system that I pieced together for about $100. Including a $5.00 garage sale buoy. After about 30 minutes I lost one about 120cm beside the boat with an impatient ****-poor shark hook maneuver. When I found a banana in my lunch, I couldn't decide whether I should just go in as all hope was gone, or wait it out. I waited. I had a nap. I jigged a stingsilda and caught a pink by the dorsal fin. His belly became bait. I had another nap. At 3:30, I gave myself a 4:0o pm deadline since I had to pull my boat to fish with my buddy the next day. Got one on at 3:58. 108cm. Shark hook in the mouth this time. This one bit on the side with the green blinker. So 50/50 on the light/non-light.
Sunday, I started at Wya. It was slow for me. Buggered around on Inside Lighthouse and Outside South for not much. Anchored for a while. No hali.
Went to Cree when the wind came up. Lots of shakers. Anchored up inside for a nap. I wanted to fish the evening, since I never have in many trips to Ukee. Got a decent spring at Gibraltar. Waved at the Springfever 2 near Swale. Long day.
Saturday was good for me at Wya. Went 2 for 4 by 10:00am on 14 to a pack anchovies. I went out to figure a few things out with my new hali anchor system. Set and pulled it a few times. I've read all the threads many times. It worked fine. Toughest part was gauging how far/ long to pull to get the chain through the ring. Sitting low in a tiller boat in swells, it was hard to see how the ball was behaving. I figured it would take a bit of practice and it did.
My season is over after 5 trips. Never had the lights out fishing of some summers, but there is plenty in my freezers to enjoy and share.
Cost saving tips: Use the Save-on Rewards program for free ferry rides, and when pulling the trailer find out when the discounted over-length deals are. $120 vs $205 for a 40" foot rig. Sleep in a tent.
Wondered who that was that waved! One of the guys -asked who that was-said didn't know but probably "a friend off the forum" Pretty Good guess!!

Back