2017 Tuna Adventures

Sculpin

Just renewed the Terrafin subscription. There is awesome blue water off the coast right now. There seems to be a warm water pocket close in but when you look at the big picture the highway hasn't formed yet.

I've been totally unmotivated this year for anything but tuna. Just starting to get the boat ready. Work has been crazy busy (good thing). Hopefully Mark Coleman from Washington will fire the first shot again soon :cool:. My crew will be ready to go anytime and hopefully we get to experience Juna this year!!!

Here's to a great season folks. Work hard and play safe.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited:
Nobody can say that you aren't a Tuna hardcore, Amigo!

I'm sure hoping conditions are better as i never went once last year.

Been two years for me too. All my gears just sitting there ready to go.

Do guys every need or put it out to others to join forces on a boat for this derby? I imagine the fuel costs would be a bit crazy...Its on my bucket list.

Many people have shown up for the derby and jumped on a boat... actually I was one of them, now I am on the organizing committee and made many friendships because of it.
Closer to the date if you are looking to see if any opportunities exist to jump on a boat, touch base with us through the contact on the website. @GordonFreeman

Bamfieldtunashootout.com

Was thinking the same as costs to run our rig around the island , or to boat to Nanimo and hire a hauler plus fuel would be extreme.

I'm saying that anyone looking for a capable deckhand willing to pay more than his share , also can bring a few setups/ gear send me a PM. Been wanting to experience this fishery for years.

This is a good site to keep track of for the highway formation from the commercial sector.

http://www.wfoa-tuna.org/

The recent reportings.

June 15, 2017: No marketable amounts of albacore has yet to be caught. A few boast have been searching off Oregon and have caught 0-5 albacore in mainly cold 56 degree water.

Bloodydecks is another great source for information.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/forum/washington-saltwater-fishing-reports/

Watch for Mark Coleman from All River's to post up first.

Terrafin is a pay per view service that is so worth it. This is a must have for tuna fishing.

http://www.terrafin.com/

The most important thing is weather. Seriously. This is the most important thing about this fishery.

http://www.buoyweather.com/

Buoyweather is pay per view for long range and accurate reports.

If you are thinking about going the distance. The above 2 service's are worth their money for sure!!!

Last edited:
Reports of tuna caught within boatshot of Washington, pictures to boot but no newspaper in the shot to verify the date.

There is 58.5 degree water with a wicked chloro shot at the Barkley and Nitinat Canyon's right now. Been looking at it for a couple of days now. Just trying to decide if a prospecting trip is in order. Haven't even been out fishing anything yet lol. Already got the fever :eek::).

Hearing from some commercial contacts there has been some ok scores just south of the border. Fairly reliable sources. Nothing big but fish up our way early

Hope to have some days using these fella's tactics with hopefully some live bait out of tofino.
This will be the first year I will have fished tuna with a proper sounder as well which should help locate them.

Birds nest, what kind of boat are you using?

Sculpin, your boat is quite similar in size to mine, what's your fuel burn like for a day's Tuna fishing like?

I really want to give this a go, but it's intimidating...

Sculpin, your boat is quite similar in size to mine, what's your fuel burn like for a day's Tuna fishing like?

We burn anywhere from 50-70 US gal. on an average trip. 45-60 mile run.
We have burned quite a bit more on the longer runs and have pushed passed the 1/3'rds rule which I don't recommend and I will not being doing that again in the future.
Our boat has a 115 US gal. tank.

Lots of factors weigh on fuel burn, sculpins boat is surprisingly fuel efficient for the load he carries when out tuna fishing and the more fish you
pile on your boat will cause fuel burn.

Fill your boat up with fuel, ice, gear, crew and do a trip out fishing before making the big run. A trial run is a good idea because you aren't just doing 60 miles out and 60 miles back in, you may cover another 40-60 miles fishing as well as more running around trying to get onto a school. It is the troll at 5-7kn that also eats fuel. Do a trial run near home with your crew and make sure you have the capacity, put a spread out and give it a try in your local waters and do some math at your worst case fuel burn. As you fish your boat won't get lighter if you get into fish so that is why base it on worst case and then stick with the 1/3rd out-1/3rd in rule and you will have reserve when you hit the dock.

Back