Probably safe to shut it down for a few months. Not much happening, lots of shakers, nothing else to be found. Big school of chums we’re out front finning/jumping so I threw down my Browns Bay chum setups but they weren’t having any part of it.

Got out Saturday for the first time in a few weeks. Ended up with 2 trips morning and afternoon. Lots of fish all day. It didn't seem to matter where you were from the bluffs down to Wells O Weary. We hit fish everywhere between those two points. Fished 6 inch anchovy from 95 to 125 feet in 130 to 140 feet of water. Many of the fish where either just under or over the 18 inch mark but there were enough between 6-8 pounds to take home limits too. Lots of murky fresh water in the harbour so the crabbing isn't great...we ended up with 2 nice heavy keepers for 2 traps. They were the only dungies in the traps...no unders or females. It was good to get out and give the engines a run too.

Decided to try for the winters today after 7 weeks off the water. BWD said it would be a calm day and it was a flat beauty with even some sun around noon. Only three or four other boats out.

Fished from 9:30 until 2:00pm and trolled the harbour mouth, the bluffs and made one trip down to the trailer park and back. Stuck with the 125-140’ range in depth and had the d/r set at or over depth a little.

Mostly contacted undersized fish but we did manage to get two 4lb hatchery keepers for the bar-b-q. Small herring in t/heads seemed to work best, but got one of the keepers on a mint tulip glo hootch. All fish seemed to be up at the harbour mouth and bluffs end. Got no hits at all down by trailer park.

Went out for a few hours looking for winter springs in Whirl bay and by the old flag pole in Beecher bay.... Nothing, not a sniff. Most other species are closed otherwise I might have tried for a halibut or Ling. It got me wondering if anyone has ever targeted Pacific Cod around Sooke? There's a limit of 8 per day so they might be a decent option on otherwise slow days if there's any around.

That's not an encouraging report Sookesailor. Hope it picks up before I head over from Port Angels in Jan. Anyone know when halibut is scheduled to open back up? Thanks

Halibut never opens up before Feb 1st. Always closed in Jan.

Halibut never opens up before Feb 1st. Always closed in Jan.

I hope I'm wrong but aren't we pretty much waiting until April 1st or is something else going on?

Also good luck in Boxing Day derby.....saw a young woman just weighed in a 15

Trolled Beacher Bay this am for a couple hours. Scooped a 6&9 right on bottom. Green spoon/white hootch. Small 4” fish in their stomachs. 150-200’ depths.

Attachments

• CE9887C8-FDAF-4FBE-A5E6-3D97EF570059.jpeg
    CE9887C8-FDAF-4FBE-A5E6-3D97EF570059.jpeg
    484.8 KB · Views: 52
G&B, quota is determined for the 2018 calendar year not the sport fishing license year end. Any halibut you catch before April 1st are recorded as your 6 allowed for 2017. When we open really will depend on how much quota we get for the 2018 calendar year.

Back